CN train 184

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

CN train 184

Unread post by 57603oh »

I think I've identified this train correctly, I know it runs to Bellevue but does anyone know where from? And what is the rarest motive power members here have seen on it?

Here's mine from this week

5401 SD50 (2) train 184 by danTRH, on Flickr

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: CN train 184

Unread post by Y@ »

It comes off the CN in Toledo. I think it originates in Flat Rock, MI. As for power, it's a sh*t-shoot. They can have anything and everything CN has to offer.
Bottom text.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

I've shot it with NS power. That seems to be rarer than CN.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

railohio wrote:I've shot it with NS power. That seems to be rarer than CN.
Indeed! I almost never see it with anything but CN power. By the way, it's NS 184 EB / NS 353 WB (CN 384/385) and though it comes from Flat Rock down the DT&I & AA to get on NS in Toledo I think it originates in Toronto?

Here it is with a cowl unit and a CN patched Santa Fe:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 137&nseq=3

BCOL R/W/B & IC SD70:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 79&nseq=12

CN & BCOL cowls plus a random NS unit in Bellevue:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 86&nseq=14

BCOL blue at CP Maumee:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 75&nseq=16

And one with a NS leader & mix of power:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 39&nseq=20

And back when London was making NS ACe's several deliveries got to home rails on 184:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 672&nseq=6

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

57603oh
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 57603oh »

Some great shots there, I think BC rail is most favorable for me
So it seems to arrive in Bellevue between 12 midday and 2pm as far as i can tell, any rough time of day it goes back?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MDH wrote:...though it comes from Flat Rock down the DT&I & AA to get on NS in Toledo I think it originates in Toronto?
Correct, originates in Toronto but probably gets crew change in Flat Rock.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

AARR wrote:
MDH wrote:...though it comes from Flat Rock down the DT&I & AA to get on NS in Toledo I think it originates in Toronto?
Correct, originates in Toronto but probably gets crew change in Flat Rock.
Crew change as well as pick up & set off in Flat Rock.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

57603oh wrote:Some great shots there, I think BC rail is most favorable for me
So it seems to arrive in Bellevue between 12 midday and 2pm as far as i can tell, any rough time of day it goes back?
If it's running well, the normal schedule has it through Toledo early AM and into Bellevue by mid AM. I.e. often it gets through Toledo between 6-8 AM and into Bellevue 8-10AM. I've seen it run early enough that some times of year its getting into Bellevue at sunrise. However, it's not unusual for it to end up going through Toledo anytime during the morning - several of my shots on rp.net are from lunchtime, which can place it into Bellevue easily in the mid day to mid afternoon timeframe. Also, once it makes it to Klines in Bellevue it could sit for a while before Bellevue yard is ready to take it which can further delay its entry into the actual yard. NS 353 (the WB version) leaves Bellevue during the night and often ties down in the Toledo area somewhere pending the arrival of NS 184 because normal practice is that the Flat Rock to Toledo crew that brings 184 down then turns on 353 and takes it up to Flat Rock. If they have to wait, they usually park it in the controlled siding at Vickers or in Wagon Works on the Detroit line, though I've seen all manner of things happen down to one perfectly timed meet where both trains came down to the pad at 287 and the 184 crew simply stepped directly over to the 353.

Regards,
Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

I'm quite familiar with them running on the Ann Arbor, and I've caught them on the weekends going back north a short bit after 9am and during the week I've caught them anywhere between 9am and noon, usually before 11am making the trip back. (this is around State Line Rd in Toledo)

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

iKJames wrote:I'm quite familiar with them running on the Ann Arbor, and I've caught them on the weekends going back north a short bit after 9am and during the week I've caught them anywhere between 9am and noon, usually before 11am making the trip back. (this is around State Line Rd in Toledo)
I have caught the nortbound entering Flat Rock around the same time IORY is readying to depart south around noonish.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

AARR wrote:
iKJames wrote:I'm quite familiar with them running on the Ann Arbor, and I've caught them on the weekends going back north a short bit after 9am and during the week I've caught them anywhere between 9am and noon, usually before 11am making the trip back. (this is around State Line Rd in Toledo)
I have caught the nortbound entering Flat Rock around the same time IORY is readying to depart south around noonish.
That's nice to know, as it doesn't take long for them to get up there. I remember being in Flat Rock during March, last school year, and I was up there for a few hours in the morning/afternoon and only saw the IORY at the time.

According to a friend, who retired as a CN engineer last year, has informed me about how the route works so that's how I know about some of it. If they don't run on time then that'd be because something happened related to NS, which I remember a few days coming home from school I saw them at about 2:25pm heading north for Flat Rock.

mike nowakowski
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by mike nowakowski »

Form what i understan it comes form Canada in Sarnia goes to Port Huron and heads down the MT. Clemens. It has some flat cars with a load thats covered in a green tarp. I use to see it every day head south down the Mt. Clemens.
Love all class 1 railroads in USA and Canada, and short lines in michigan

Please, Check out my youtube acount its http://www.youtube.com/MTNRailProductions

Train Stuff and pictures and such: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikenowakowski/

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

Train comes out of Toronto Mac yard as CN M38531.They often work London Yard . Train usually works Sarnia daily.It picks up freight,racks,and the flats loaded with Ford F150 chassis for the Ford truck plant in Dearborn MI. Goes via the Mt Clemons sub down to Detroit.Then onto the shared assets through Delray and onto Flatrock Yard. Train sets out and picks up at the rock. Main set out consist of the Frames,autos,and coil loads along with various lumber and mixed cars.Quite often it is 10,000 ft plus going into the rock. But after the set out,it is much smaller. I have seen them set out upwards of 7,000ft of train. M385 also is used to bring yard and local power back to the rock that had been sent to Toronto for inspections. Train usually departs the rock around 3-5am and heads for the NS in Toledo. Continues on to Bellevue as NS 184. The power then turns on NS 353,which becomes CN M38461.This train makes very large pick ups at the rock and also picks up at East Yard in Detroit before continuing up the Mt Clemens sub and back to Toronto via Port Huron,Sarnia,and London. It's usually pretty easy to tell what blocks on the train are CN and what blocks are Bellevues. Thats all i have. I've been seeing these 2 trains for years and i now live 1 mile from Flatrock yard so i often hear M385 leaving overnight.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

mike nowakowski wrote:Form what i understan it comes form Canada in Sarnia goes to Port Huron and heads down the MT. Clemens. It has some flat cars with a load thats covered in a green tarp. I use to see it every day head south down the Mt. Clemens.
I know this is the Ohio board but...I see 385 quite often in Port Huron. Those bulkhead flatcars (seems to have a lot of orange IC/ICG cars and BCOL cars) with the green tarps occasionally will have a tarp just loose enough to afford a peek at the cargo- drywall (I think). Underneath of the green tarp is a second layer of clear plastic that covers the bundles.
~ Charles W.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

MKT_fan11 wrote:
mike nowakowski wrote:Form what i understan it comes form Canada in Sarnia goes to Port Huron and heads down the MT. Clemens. It has some flat cars with a load thats covered in a green tarp. I use to see it every day head south down the Mt. Clemens.
I know this is the Ohio board but...I see 385 quite often in Port Huron. Those bulkhead flatcars (seems to have a lot of orange IC/ICG cars and BCOL cars) with the green tarps occasionally will have a tarp just loose enough to afford a peek at the cargo- drywall (I think). Underneath of the green tarp is a second layer of clear plastic that covers the bundles.

I don't know. I think its too heavy to be drywall. I have seen CSX NS and CN ship drywall on centerbeams with special straps to avoid damaging the load. Also,it looks and sounds alot heavier than drywall. Maybe some sort of sheet steel that has to be kept dry.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

It might not be drywall, but it's something along that line. Here is a shot of BCOL 964001 with one of the green tarped loads:

And a close-up of the exposed area:

It's something familiar, but I can't quite remember what.
~ Charles W.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

I know what you're thinking of and i can't quite name it.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Are you thinking its a building supply product but not drywall? maybe hard board which is shipped on bulkheads. Or are you thinking its metal ingots or something like that?

redcrumbox
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by redcrumbox »

MKT_fan11 wrote:It might not be drywall, but it's something along that line. Here is a shot of BCOL 964001 with one of the green tarped loads:

Exterior fiber cement board. One way to tell is the small size of the bundles. That stuff is heavy. Another would be the cheap tarp since it is exterior board.
Old EMD’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

redcrumbox wrote:
MKT_fan11 wrote:It might not be drywall, but it's something along that line. Here is a shot of BCOL 964001 with one of the green tarped loads:

Exterior fiber cement board. One way to tell is the small size of the bundles. That stuff is heavy. Another would be the cheap tarp since it is exterior board.

So that's what it is. I thought it looked like the stuff they use inside when they tile the walls of a bathroom or something like that.

Thank you for filling in the blanks.
~ Charles W.