RJ Corman the Greenville to Ansonia line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: RJ Corman the Greenville to Ansonia line

Unread post by AARR »

I admire your persistency! Nice vids and thanks for posting. Looks like ethanol traffic :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

There was a few inbound and outbound ECUX plastic hoppers in the mix. Looks like Greenville rd dept gets their salt by rail. Their is a conveyor running from the siding into the dome. I was persistant and soon enough I will go there again. If I don't catch them I will just follow CSX to Muncie.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Scott I've been to Ansonia a bunch of times over the last 15 years and still have yet to catch the Corman running :evil:
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

That stinks! When I went down there Tues, they brought in the first cut at 25ish cars in the am. When I went back to Ansonia, CSX had just dropped off another cut similar size!

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

alittlevanwerty wrote:There was a few inbound and outbound ECUX plastic hoppers in the mix. Looks like Greenville rd dept gets their salt by rail. Their is a conveyor running from the siding into the dome. I was persistant and soon enough I will go there again. If I don't catch them I will just follow CSX to Muncie.
Hey, Vanwerty, have any pics of the salt delivery setup? I would love to see some for a future modelling project I have been thinking about. :D

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

n't but I can take some within the next few weeks. Next time I go railfannig is Thurs so maybe I'll head south again.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

alittlevanwerty wrote:n't but I can take some within the next few weeks. Next time I go railfannig is Thurs so maybe I'll head south again.
Thanks, anything you can comeup with is greatly appreciated! :D

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

bctrainfan wrote: Hey, Vanwerty, have any pics of the salt delivery setup? I would love to see some for a future modelling project I have been thinking about. :D
You can be as simple or complex as you like.

Crawfordsville, IN gets their salt by rail. All they have is a conveyor that has a large 'catch' under it. They let gravity do the work, the conveyor then deposits the salt on the pile, and a front end loader moves it around further up on the pile. Liberal application of a sledge hammer keeps the salt flowing out of the car. Very spartan affair really.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.034901,- ... 1&t=h&z=18

Indianapolis gets their salt via rail also. They are a little more advanced. They have a dump shed that they do their dumping in, and then move it to the pile.

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.726411,- ... 4&t=h&z=19

Practice Safe CSX

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I believe the plastic hoppers come from either BASF or Greenville Technologies
Exit stage left

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

They switched a lot, not sure of a precise number, at the siding behind BASF. There were EQUX hoppers heading to a plastics company in the same business park as the ethanol place though. I can't remember its name even though I was in view of it for over an hour.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

I drove through Greenville on Saturday and found the RJ Corman's diesel house, but it was all locked up with the locomotives apparently stored inside as I never seen them on my way up to Ansonia. Like I said, I have zero luck getting them running on this line :(
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I'm no expert on their Greenville operation but I did figure one thing out. When their running they lock up the shed and they park their personal vehicles somewhere else so it may look like nothing is going on when they are posssibly out somewhere. I do not know if they do any runs on the weekend though. The only place they can really hide out of sight when their running is on the south end of the CN passed the switch. I had the benefit of hearing the horn when I got to the center of town so it was just a matter of pinpointing which direction to drive.

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

redside20 wrote:I believe the plastic hoppers come from either BASF or Greenville Technologies

The hoppers may also be coming to or from Spartech Plastics which has a new plant on Landsdowne Ave that replaced the old plant on Jaysville St.Johns Rd next to the engine house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/581 ... otostream/

This is on the new lead built in the mid-2000's to serve the Andersons Marathon ethanol plant.

As far as the GTI reference, I'm confused; I thought there was only one plant on Ohio 571 that is within sight of the Corman, but has no service.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

GenXRailMedia wrote:The hoppers may also be coming to or from Spartech Plastics which has a new plant on Landsdowne Ave that replaced the old plant on Jaysville St.Johns Rd next to the engine house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/581 ... otostream/

This is on the new lead built in the mid-2000's to serve the Andersons Marathon ethanol plant.
Nice picture GenX! I enjoy pics of spurs to industries :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Sorry Genx, but I was looking on wikimapia and google and saw what I presumed to be plastic hoppers for GTI
http://wikimapia.org/#lat=40.0949251&lo ... 18&l=0&m=b

My sincerest apologies for any errors omitted. So Spartech is the place that gets the plastic hoppers?
Exit stage left

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thy had 3 EQUX hoppers on the Spartech siding when I was there, I had just forgotten the name of the company.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

At last I caught them again and I'm sure glad it was before the leaves are off the trees. Between catching a lot(!) of great trains between Union City and Sidney on the CSX I drove to Greenville looking for those bright red locomotives. Well as soon a I was in town here comes the headlight, could not have better timing today! I got 1832 leading first, then 4121 through the bridge and then followed them up to Ansonia where they dropped cars for CSX. After that they went to lunch so I headed off towards Sidney. The vid may be up tomorrow depending how fast the internet decides to be, got yesterday's FWLI. They must have been doing 2mph into the yard because the vid is 12 min long. Probably got 10 min of Corman and 5 vids of CSX so may not get it all up til Sat.
Pics are all up though!
RJ Corman Greenville, Ohio Ex Seaboard Coast Line 1832 GP16 by van wert newbie, on Flickr
RJ Corman Greenville, Ohio 1832 GP16 by van wert newbie, on Flickr
RJ Corman Greenville, Ohio Line 4121 GP20 Cincinnati Northern by van wert newbie, on Flickr
RJ Corman Greenville, Ohio Line 4121 GP20 Cincinnati Northern bridge by van wert newbie, on Flickr
RJ Corman Greenville 4121 Ex Southern Pacific GP20 by van wert newbie, on Flickr

There are several others on my Flickr