Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:The FWLI came through VW about 5pm, 6412 and 3886 leading. A lot of Cargill salt hoppers heading back to CSX.
There are salt covered hoppers mixed in with 3-bays. Are the 3-bays also for salt? If not, how do the salt covered hoppers get mixed up with other cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Ive been by Cargill in FTW but don't know much about their operation. Seems anytime 2 bays come through there are 3 bays mixed in though.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Mr. Tops your CF&E 2010 roster hasn't changed much overall. Now, you'll see CFE 3880/3882/3883/3886, don't remember if 3884 made it west from Lima, MNAR 3898, NREX 5597, SCRF 6412/6415, TPW 4056, IORY 4032/4034/4036, CORP 4024 off the top of my head. Could be a few others. Fairly regular power on the CF&E right now. The exSP power is pretty much gone from the CF&E through Van Wert anyway. We'll see what the G&W brings to the table. 8)

AARR, the salt hoppers are pretty much 2 and 3 bays now. When they first started coming through they mainly were 2 bay hoppers. Might have been an occasional 3 bay back then, but not like now. Quite a few of them now when the salt's moving. The reporting marks are different for salt and grain hoppers. Some of my earlier posts on here had what they were. Can't remember right now. :lol:

PW
Last edited by bnsf8000 on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I've heard that TPW 4056 is leaving soon and CORP 4023 is going to be returned to serivice after some repairs are made.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

I wondered before when you said that the 4023 may be coming what would leave. Hope the 4056 stays around. :cry:

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I personally like the RA paint job. At least I got to film it though, never caught the SP tunnelmotors that were on the CF&E.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

I wasn't aware 9362 wasn't on the property anymore either. Just saw pictures of it down here by me in Decatur, IL last month. Man, am I behind the times! :lol: As I have said before, there weren't many trips on the FWCH/CHFW that were made without the 9362/4056 pair. After the westbound trip in the 9362, the eastbound trip in the 4056 was much welcomed. Very smooth riding and the cab was nice; clean, warm in the winter and no rattles/vibrations. 9362 at that point was pretty neglected by Norwood, until the power began being sent to W&LE Brewster and got proper maintenance. Of course, now the power is maintained right in Ft. Wayne.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Mr. tops not sure if the 9362 is on the CF&E property or not. I was just focusing on what power goes through Van Wert between Ft. Wayne and Lima. It could be still running CHFW/FWCH unless someones knows different. Between FTW/Lima we've been seeing 4 axle power most of the time until 5597 started running through again. we do occasionally of course have CSX and some W&LE 6 axle power from time to time.

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

At least on the I&O, a GWI mech. staff person will check each of the locos assigned there. A decision will be made on what's going to be repaired and what isn't work fixing. There's a handful on the I&O not worth repairing....

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

FWLI today had 2 GE CSX locos leading, also MNAR 3898 and maybe 60ish cars. Lot of tanks this run, possibly 15 back to back. Anyone know where the grain train went? Hoping to catch it when they take it back through. Should have had my camera but most of the time I just watch after dark and not film.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well I'm having bad luck catching the FWLI lately but I caught 4032/3880 bringing a decent sized train into Lima from the east.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I enjoy those long slow trains banging across the diamond! :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

Wow impressive for over here on the East side. Nice Catch! Usually the local is small and doesn't have much variety to the it, and usually the only trains with size are the grainers. That thing looks like a road freight. Wish I would have seen that over here in Ada. I haven't had any luck seeing trains over here at all lately.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I enjoy those long slow trains banging across the diamond! :)
As long as I don't have a headache at the time its a great sound. Even better when the CF&E is crossing because the rail east of the diamond is jointed so you get the clickety clack along with the diamond clang!

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Seems that now that the FWLI is running in the afternoon the locals are being ran at night. I haven't seen the LIVW in a few months. Last time was when they ran out of time, I heard the horn but they shut down 4032 were and gone by the time I got there. Sometime maybe I will see them heading east and actully get to film them in Ada or farther out.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

We got ahead of the FWLI yesterday and waited outside the Cargill facility to take the shot.

CF&E FWLI 035 by van wert newbie, on Flickr

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

The SCRF 6415/6412 may have been together through Van Wert a little after 4PM on the EB FWLI. Definitely saw one of them leading and I thought the other trailing long hood forward. Trees and buildings blocked some of my view. Did you see it alittlevanwerty. I haven't seen them together before. Probably a good chance they have been, but I don't see the FWLI or VWLI much lately.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Yes it was the 6412/6415 at last together! I waited an hour outside the doll lumber today and ya it was worth it. Vid is excellent!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Love the pics / vids with railroad industries in them!