Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Ya thanks AARR, I'm working on catching them in front of all their stops, at least between Lima and Monroeville. Hope to sometime catch them in Decatur but without knowing when they head there its a bit out of the way. Same with them running west out of Ft Wayne, if I know I'm gonna see them then worth the long drive.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

The job to Decatur runs 5 days a week and the occasional weekend trip when needed. When I used to live near there, they generally would run down to Decatur sometime in the morning and then come back to Ft. Wayne later in the afternoon. There's not a specific time either, because I've seen it run down to Decatur and back at various times throughout the day and night so yeah, its hard to catch them if you don't live nearby.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

10/8/12. EB FWLI at around 3PM. Running solo was SCRF 6415 with 15 cars through Van Wert. Train consisted of1 UTLX tank car upfront, 6 box cars: CRLE, YKR and FBOX, 4 gons: 3 high sided 3 covered hoppers: 2 FMLX and 1 BNSF and 1 IHB coil car bringing up the rear.

Heard a train through Van Wert during middle of the night. Could/Might have been CSX? units by the horn.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Last night's train woke me so I peeked out to see what it was as its not often one passes Sunday night. It was 6412 with a welded rail train. Was hoping to see them hand it off to CSX but was still parked at Cole St as of 130pm.
CF&E welded rail train at Cole St in Lima Ohio by van wert newbie, on Flickr

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

I guess it wasn't a CSX unit/horn. But, I'll take the 6412 or 6415 over them anytime. 8)

PW

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CF&E East »

The Welded rail train went East through Ada at about 10PM exactly tonight, but the 6412 wasn't on it, a lone CF&E unit was the power.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the update, I went to Lima today hoping to see the welded rail on CSX. Wonder where they were taking it? 6412 came through with the FWLI last night. Yay 6415 and 6412 running together again!

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

An 83 car FWLI returning to the Fort. Nice to see that size of train again. Nice vid!

Sounded like something went towards the Fort this afternoon 10/9. What was it?

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I was out until 5pm, didn't see anything out of the ordinary in Lima. Did yo happen to see the FWLI yet today?

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

10/12/12. WB FWLI at around 9:35PM. In the lead were 3 units an IORY/CFE/GT[SCRF] and around 30-40 cars at Scotts Crossing. Had grain, empty steel flats, box cars? Typical CF&E freight. Rolling along on the recently upgraded track by St. Rt. 309 between Lima and Delphos.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Just passed through VW about 5 minutes ago. About a third the size of the westbound this afternoon. We caught that in Delphos and Lima.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

That's good! Another good size train this afternoon. We hopefully will start seeing longer trains again on a more regular basis. Will be interesting to see what GWI brings to the table for CF&E. Hopefully a few more trains and some more carloads. :D

PW

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Good evening guys,

I always wonder where them rail trains are heading every time I see one.....We have a Local in town(featuring CF&E 3883 it appeared) switching the elevator right now in Ada, looks be be picking up about 25 or so loaded covered hoppers. They had a nice cut of Grain cars on the main and imagine they will be leaving them here once they pull the loaded cars. It looked like they had a Loco out to the east of Ada so I *think* they are heading back to Lima after they get done doing their work here.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

A 93 car CF&E freight from FTW to Lima. Very good to see the longer trains. The beans should start moving once again on the CF&E betwween Decatur/FTW/Lima for awhile. I've always wondered how many Decatur Bunge loads/empties go towards Chicago. Just curious. Like seeing SCRF 6412/CFE 3880/IORY 4036 together. Nice pics and video. Thanks for taking the time!

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I could be 3883, they had 2 CFE units in Lima yesterday. 3886 was coupled to 4024 but could not see the other one.

I'd like to catch the west run someday, curious what all goes west on FTW. Now the have the FWHA and HACH to break up the Chicago run between crews.

CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Ah I see, I didn't want make the number sound exact in case because I didn't see it up close and it was pretty dark. I sure wish I could get a pic of them GT painted locos paired up over here....or a picture of one of them would be alright too :cry: :wink:

GrandTrunkFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GrandTrunkFan »

alittlevanwerty wrote:We got ahead of the FWLI yesterday and waited outside the Cargill facility to take the shot.

CF&E FWLI 035 by van wert newbie, on Flickr
Thanks for posting that! I went to college next to Cargill and always loved seeing the guys next door "joyride" in their little repowered Alco. I was wondering if it was still there! And with the addition of these ex GTW units, I may have to make a return trip to the Lima area, soon!
Nick