Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Also forgot to mention that sometime early (5am-ish) Friday, I'm guessing a grain train, passed through Van Wert. It didn't sound like any CF&E horn and was a long train. Being so early and me so tired I didn't get up to look. Our new dog told me it was coming though. I took her railfanning all day thurs and she figured out it was trains I was after. lol
What a mess to clean up! Foam and drool in the same car. :D

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Lol maybe my dog will foam also and then it will just be foam up to the windows. lol

FWLI today came through about about 730 pm heading to Lima, 4032 leading and either 4036/4034 trailing. 71 cars, over 50 grain.

3886 still in I&O yard in Lima but on different track.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

EB Sperry Rail truck in Van Wert around 10:45AM. Saw it behind the American Legion running.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well caught the CF&E at last yesterday. I was just getting into town on the east side when I saw the no left turn signs light up. It was a work day or else I would have followed this one all the way to Lima. Want to get a shot of these 2 in front of Delphos bunge.

4024 now at I&O yard, no locos at cole st. Wish I could head east to see where their working.

GreatLakesRailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GreatLakesRailfan »

I'm thinking about heading down to the CF&E before the G&W takeover, especially considering the repaint rumor mentioned above (has it been confirmed yet?).

I'm not all that familiar with the CF&E, especially east of the Valpo (Indiana) area. My apologies if these questions have been answered repeatedly elsewhere on the board.

I am especially interested in catching the ex-GTW units (6412 and 6415) before the G&W takeover. I take it that any of the units assigned to the CF&E can wind up just about anywhere on the system at any time. However, is there anywhere specific that these units have been spending more time lately?

The east end of the CF&E is Lima, correct? Is there an engine parking location (service/tie up point) that is accessible without trespassing? Are there any major Rail America points of interest in the Lima area?

In order to maximize the time I have available, I intend to chase the CF&E line as much as possible, whether or not anything is moving. From alittlevanwerty's videos, is it correct to assume that recent movements have pretty much been after or close to dark? If not, are there certain times a train is more likely to be moving on certain ends of the system than others?

Is there anything worth checking out (yard/engine service/crew change point/etc) in the Fort Wayne area? If so, is it publicly accessible? Is the CF&E line through town relatively easy to follow (aside from the typical bigger-city traffic issues)?

West of Fort Wayne, is there anywhere significant that they might tie down or station power? I am aware of the new facility in Hamlet, which I intend to check out as well, if time permits. The elevator in Hamlet also has a switcher, correct?

Also, I see on the Bing Map site, that there appears to be an engine tied down on the wye in Warsaw. Is this common practice, and is there public access to the site?

Thank you for any answers you guys can provide.
~ Charles W.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

There will be at least two G&W painted CFE units after the STB approval. There's almost nothing to hold up the deal other than the STB dragging their feet, which doesn't seem to be an issue. End of December is the goal. As for repaints, supposed to be two of the CFE GP38s, 3883 will be one. 3883 has tagged several years ago. Doubt its one of the former GT GP38s. Those should be it for awhile other than G&W slowly replacing or repainting the rest of the CFE fleet.

Everyone else can fill you in on the rest of your questions.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Most of the grade crossing gates in Van Wert have been replaced. Just some or most all the gates themselves.- They were in one of the 2 40' containers down by the junction in town. Have too see what else is in the containers.

MKT_fan11, the ex-GT units have been working between Lima and Fort Wayne quite a bit. Always a possiblity they could stray from there. The CF&E actually goes east from Lima to Crestline,OH. Not much trafffic that way except for the Proctor & Gamble plants just east of Lima a little. The Cole St. yard in Lima is CF&E's yard in Lima. Usually some locos in the yard somewhere. It is along St. Rt. 309 in Lima. You may see if you get permission from the office there. While your in Lima I would also recommend going over to the I&O on the eastside of town. Hopefully, some IORY power and even possibly CF&E could be there. You could check for permission at the I&O yard office there. Sometimes it's pretty bare in there if the LSL Lima South Local has already left.

In Fort Wayne they have Piqua Yard for the CF&E. They have opened the newly built Shop and office building there. Most likely where the GWI/CFE units will be painted in time. I've never asked for permission to go onto the grounds there. Not that we woudn't, but we never needed to yet. The NS Triple Crown yard is at the yard also. The yard is where we saw the SCRF 6412/64156 together for our first time. Since they opened the new shops/office we've always saw power in the yard or by the shops. if you take Coliseum Blvd south from 930 and continue going south you will go by the old International Harvester complex. The road eventually turns to the west and -down the road aways is the CF&E Piqua Yard and tower. Across from the tower to the south is shop/office.

Don't know much about Warsaw, IN but it does generate some good traffic for the CF&E. There probably is a good chance they keep a unit in Warsaw. Hamlet does generate unit grain trains once in awhile. Also, Decatur,IN would be a good 20 mile drive south of Fort Wayne. It has a huge Bunge grain facility. Lots of grain hoppers and tankers when it's pumping them out. Lots of tracks back in the plant. You would take 27 South out of Fort Wayne and when you're nearing Decatur you can't miss the Bunge facility. You can't miss it or your sleeping!. Bunge also has their own power there that you can occasionally see.

There is also a Bunge facility in Delphos, OH between Lima and Van Wert on the CF&E. Usually alot of grain cars there also. Both Bunge facilities are beaneries. Hope it helps some. Like always it's always good if you're lucky when your railfanning. :D

PW

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

As for Warsaw, yes they do keep the Warsaw based local(WAVA I believe) engine on the wye track at the diamond. If you go down SR 15 off US 30, keep going until you cross the ex PRR mainline. Then turn left at the next intersection and just as you cross the next set of tracks(today's NS Marion Branch), you'll see an entrance on your left to reach where the engine is located. Pull in, take a couple photos and leave as its all railroad property at the diamond but there is normally not anyone there to ask permission from though either. While in Warsaw, keep an eye out for NS traffic on the north-south Marion Branch line with its brief stretch of street trackage in town(which is just north of the diamond with the ex PRR mainline). This line is pretty active through town with at least ten trains a day on it.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Has anyone ever seen the CFE switch out Dlubak Glass in Upper Sandusky?
Exit stage left

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

FWLI westbound at 8:05, 3882/3880/4036 all facing FTW. 102 cars with a good mix, 20ish boxes, about 50 bunge hoppers, 20ish tanks... Wish this one was during daylight. Still, heard the locos working hard from a long distance out of town so plenty of time to run to the crossing to feel the wind.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Best time to catch the FWLI is the afternoon, usually passes eastbound through VW between 3-6pm and heads back to FTW 4-5 hours later. Now that the days are getting short its hard to catch them run in daylight. The locals out of Lima (LIVW/LIPG) seem to be ran by the night crew, so unless youre railfanning at 1 am...

In Lima they are usually switching at Cole st and sometimes I'll park across the street to watch. CSX comes to Cole st to interchange between 9-12am. I've never actually gone on CF&E's or I&O's property. I have caught them (cf&e) doing the odd run to P&G or the I&O yard during the morning but just lucky those times. I'm still hoping to catch a welded rail or grain train leave Lima for Crestline and have the time to follow it east.

Power usually varys but there seems to be a little predictability. 3886 is usuall stationed in Lima and I've only caught 3883 in Ohio once. 4056 mostly runs west out of FTW. I heard from an employee that they probably won't paint the GP38-2's right away as they have good paint. The NREX 5597 is now owned by RA/G&W and will be the first on the CF&E to be painted. It needs it bad. Will see how it all turns out though. Everything is a rumor til action happens.

I have yet to visit upper sandusky... Just waiting for the train to lead me lol.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I hope its the 5597 that gets the paint job. Does the 3883 still have the graffiti? I can see them at least painting over it.

As for going railroad property, I would say hold off. There's GWI people around and the last thing they need us someone trespassing to deal with.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I haven't seen 3883 since april but I was told today that I got a bath and the graffiti was removed. If it doesn't make it east maybe a picture will pop up soon...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

G&W will be sending a loco from the Ohio Central lettered and logo'd for the CFE. CFE logo will change to the standard G&W circle with CFE in the middle. Loco will be in place for the day approval comes down from the STB. Day will be anywhere from Dec 20 to March 18.

Four to five locos per year will be repainted.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

65 car grain train west bound on CF&E through van wert at 847pm. 2 GE 6 axles leading, no CF&E locos in the mix. The eastbound FWLI had 1 CF&E (sounded like 3886) loco with 20ish cars so that engine must be left in Lima.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

midland sub wrote:I hope its the 5597 that gets the paint job.
Some nice red paint will do just fine. :wink:

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

At last I filmed them in FT Wayne. I saw 3886/3898 preparing to run the FWHA west ( I think) and tried to find a good spot but lost track of which line was the CF&E. I really need to get a map instead of trying to follow the tracks on the GPS. Well missed them, turned back to the Pontiac yard and they were long gone. Lucky for me though because I went around the block to Meyer road just in time to catch 4056 returning from Decatur.

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

Scott, the official name of that yard is Piqua yard. Looks like you caught this train over at the Meyer Road crossing at the east end of the yard. Back in the day, there used to be giant signal bridge across the tracks at this crossing, which was called Linker in the employee timetables. I used to live near Fort Wayne so if you have any questions about where to go or what tracks go where, don't hesitate to ask me.
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

IIRC 4056 is a GP40X or something like that. I'm surprised that a unique unit like that is still around after 30 years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

its actually the first gp40x built