Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CF&E East
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by CF&E East »

Just had an grain train eastbound in Ada @ 9:59PM. Two CSX Gevo's for power. Nice to hear!

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

They took their time getting that through. It came through Van Wert at 615am, 2 CSX and 2 geeps. Too dark out to see which ones they were. I went back to bed but I think it had the FWLI cut in the mix. It was a 65 car set when I saw it head west Monday. I could hear it blowing the horn for Mendon Rd while I was still hearing cars pass the east end of town so had to be longer than 65 cars this time.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:What does the x in GP40X stand for?
From "The Contemporary Diesel Spotters Guide" 23 units were built from 12/77-6/78. The were prototypes for the "50" line. They were rated at 3500hp and had increased tractive effort through single-axle wheelslip detection and control system (SAWS). Some were built with standard Blomberg M trucks. My guess is X = eXperimental.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

The 4056 has the high speed trucks still under it. Thats why it usually runs the west end to Chicago where the track is 40mph to better use the horsepower like it was designed to do.The super series electrical system was intended to give 20 to 40 percent more horsepower to the at rail at speed than the old dash 2 systems but was very finicky and was replaced with better computer control electrical control by the time the 60s series came around. As a result the 40x and 50s never were very popular,but they say the 4056 will pull like a fool once she is up and going with very little slipping at speed.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I was reading a Nov 1978 issue of trains last night and the article was about the milwaukee road. They mentioned the GP40x and were predicting it to become a common locomotive...

An unexpected late morning LIFW ran through VW today. Filmed it in Convoy. Was a Lima crew so expecting them to pass through again later...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:An unexpected late morning LIFW ran through VW today. Filmed it in Convoy. Was a Lima crew so expecting them to pass through again later...
The horn approaching the 1st crossing sounded different than when they approached the 2nd corssing :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well I caught tuesday's FWLI but due to operator error the video didn't record :? Well it was 3898 and a good variety of the usual CF&E traffic.

This morning I luckily caught 4034/4032 coming in from the east with a decent number of grain cars. First half bunge and the others possibly from the elevator in Ada?

CF&E Railroad IORY 4034 4032 at CSX diamond by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

We were in Lima this evening and caught some switching action but I only had the cheap camera so the pics were junk. But, I did catch an unusual move for the CF&E:
unusual cargo on the CF&E in Lima, American Crane by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Went through Lima twice yesterday. In the morning they were switching with 5597 at cole st and 4032 was parked at the I&O yard. 3880/3882 were coupled to cars on the track closest to W Grand Ave.

Later, close to 5pm we caught 5597 and 4056 uncoupling from the FWLI and heading to the west end of the yard to pick up the return run. I am assuming 4056 ran east solo.

CF&E NREX 5597 SD40-2 TP&W 4056 GP40X by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CF&E NREX 5597 SD40-2 TP&W 4056 GP40X by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Nice catch! Nice sized train. Any idea why the FWLI's have been going slow through Van Wert lately? Good video as usual. Thanks for taking the time tio get a train at night again.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Only reason I know is at the engineer that had been the regular is now running the FWHA west out of FT Wayne. MAybe not that but only reason I can think of.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CORP 4023 and NREX 5597 just went eeast through Van Wert with 1 car (DOWX hopper)(maybe a few, I couldn't stop to watch but was clear of the crossing in a few seconds). This is the first time I've seen 4023 in action, runnig L H F too. Weird horn, thought a high railer was coming... Realy wish I could chase because this is the last loco currently running on the CF&E I have not yet filmed.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Scott I saw the 4023/NREX 5597 and 1 covered hopper too. Later something went WB. I figured maybe it was these units heading back. Was probably within that hour. Been lurking over watching your vids on youtube. Good job.

PW

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

4023 has been working in the yard in Ft. Wayne off and on for a month or so. Today was its first trip out on the road. It has been in the dead line ever since it got to the CF&E . I understand that it was out of service for nearly three years before last month.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

bnsf8000 wrote:Scott I saw the 4023/NREX 5597 and 1 covered hopper too. Later something went WB. I figured maybe it was these units heading back. Was probably within that hour. Been lurking over watching your vids on youtube. Good job.

PW
I guess I was fast asleep when they came back through. I hope I get an opportunity to film it soon... Thanks for watching them, wish I could get more video here in Van Wert but usually their halfway into town when I hear them. Still trying to train the dog to listen for me!

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

lvc126 wrote:4023 has been working in the yard in Ft. Wayne off and on for a month or so. Today was its first trip out on the road. It has been in the dead line ever since it got to the CF&E . I understand that it was out of service for nearly three years before last month.
Last week (tuesday) when I went past the CF&E shop in FTW 4023 was not in front of the shop anymore so I figured it was on the move. The last photos of it running (RRpicturesarchive) were taken in 2009.

Do you know where it came by its horn? It sunded more like a horn fitted on a MofW machine.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well it may have just bee the NREX that returned to Ft Wayne because 4023 it parked in Lima. Wish it was running when I was there...
CORP 4023 in the CF&E Cole St Yard Lima Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

We did catch the FWLI arrive in Lima today, as well as CIND 5003 at Sugar st, NS heading out of town, a coal train, a manifest in Cairo and then crossing the Desler diamond... lots of good video to upload today!

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

4023 got its horn from the kyle rr where it was at until it came to the cf&e, i think it needs a good cleaning. It was in the shop last tuesday along with the 4024, its been in there or shoved out the back side of the shop for the last month or so. The 5003 is supposed to be going to Ft. Wayne to have an axle trued up since there is a wheel lathe there.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

5003 is a nice looking and sounding locomotive. Wish it was on the CF&E regularly. Any idea when they plan on running it to Ft Wayne?