End of the MAW

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: End of the MAW

Unread post by iKJames »

What time does Y101 operate? That'd be interesting to see happen, even if it's not the engines moving themselves.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

MagnumForce wrote:I am kicking myself as I drove west on 24 before checking things out in Defiance, got to Cecil and realized that the derailed storage cars were still there. Got back in town just as they were tying down on the interchange. I missed the last MAW movement in Defiance and I am kicking myself for it.

Alittlevanwerty was there to shoot it though.
I caught at least 5 others in Defiance watching the last move but I was the only one doing video.

Do you happen to know where the cars that sat on the east side of 127 went, which direction I mean? The track across Precision Way on the west side of Defiance appears to have had something run down it recently.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

No, but they definitely have not come from Cecil to Defiance.

Y101 can work the MAW interchange at any point during first trick tomorrow FWIW, I have seen them do it first thing in the morning or last thing in the day.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

When would the Pioneer power be expected to be delivered on CSX's side? I wish Pioneer Railcorp would work on their company image on their locomotives. Solid black with the small "PREX" text on the side does not look professional - especially compared to G&W or even Watco. I'm with Brent on his statement that the railroad has a better future with Pioneer Railcorp than it does with RMW Ventures, LLC. Also, there could of been other buyers that could have worsen the future of the MAW...trust me.
Last edited by Racer on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Pioneer power should be delivered by next week.

Sure is sad to see "my" railroad go... I've been watching these guys since I was just shy of four years old. Always such a fascinating and somewhat comical operation. I only wish they could have righted the ship themselves, but I always knew that wasn't going to happen. Sigh... Oh well, ETTS.
Bottom text.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Y@ wrote:Pioneer power should be delivered by next week.

Sure is sad to see "my" railroad go... I've been watching these guys since I was just shy of four years old. Always such a fascinating and somewhat comical operation. I only wish they could have righted the ship themselves, but I always knew that wasn't going to happen. Sigh... Oh well, ETTS.
It seems like the norm is when railroads start-up by individuals they either fold or they grow for about 5-7 years then sell to bigger companies. Pioneer Railcorp seems to be a good company regarding customer-base, but I have always felt neutral with them based on the current status of the Michigan Southern and especially the West Michigan Railroad, but unlike them, the MAW actually has customers.

Are there other big and successful operations Pioneer runs? I feel like most of their railroads they own all have poor track conditions, few customers, and only operate 5 car trains about 2-3 times a week (Excluding the MAW).
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I believe the Keokuk Junction Ry. is their largest operation. Other than that, I don't think there are any real "big" shortlines. The MAW might have become their second largest customer base.
Bottom text.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Chrisracer8903 wrote: Pioneer Railcorp seems to be a good company regarding customer-base, but I have always felt neutral with them based on the current status of the Michigan Southern and especially the West Michigan Railroad, but unlike them, the MAW actually has customers.
The West Michigan was a branch to nowhere. I think it was doomed when they started.

The MAW will only die if Pioneer lets the track get worse or start slacking in the customer service arena. I think that the MAW has everything it need to be a decent, profitable line, minus the track. But, put some money there and get her up to 10mph, which is what the LSRC Huron Sub was for a long time, and they'll do fine. Heck, even 10mph is more than double their current speed! Even 5mph with no derailments would be a drastic change.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Here's their profile:

http://pioneer-railcorp.com/

They started acquiring shortlines in the early 1990s and many of their operations have been in business for years. Actually the Fort Smith and Keokuk operations are the most busy in terms of their carloads.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

So I guess that means I shot the last true Maumee & Western train to leave Napoleon arriving in Defiance on Wednesday morning, and that the first day of the new regime will be rather anticlimactic, lacking motive power and whatnot. I guess it wasn't such a bad week after all.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Not real sure if Y101 is working today.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

What's the update on what happened today?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Nothing happened today. The Maumee & Western is shutdown. As of Dec. 28 the property belongs to Pioneer, who is waiting on power to begin operations.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

Nice to know, but did the CSX local (Y101) come to pick up the MAW power like planned or what?

railroadchoad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by railroadchoad »

That worked out well for the customers who are (for now) served by a railroad with no locomotives on the property. Perhaps CSX will stun us all and have a productive weekend which sees locomotives waiting on the interchange track in Defiance come Wednesday morning. My money is that there won't be.

Anyone who has ever had anything to do with foreign line locomotives that are being sent somewhere dead-in-consist can tell you that every carman along the route the engines takes a turn knocking said locomotive and it then moves at a snail's pace.

I hope I am wrong but I see problems over the next week to 10 days.
Lookin' and smellin' darn GOOD!

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Should not remove motive power without replacing it first.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT3001 wrote:Should not remove motive power without replacing it first.
Yeah, honestly it's kind of strange. I would think that some sort of short-term lease could've been arranged so at least the railroad could have continued to use the locomotives on property to serve its customers. Apparently this was not a concern to Pioneer.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

Let's have no MAW of this!
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Plants are still shutdown this week, this is the perfect time to do this.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

This probably was covered already elsewhere and I missed it, but where is the MAW power going? Does the now ex-owner have operations in other places?