Nova Tower

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Nova Tower

Unread post by JoJames »

Scheduled to be demolished on 8-13 but some historical society spoke up at last minute and may get demolition stopped.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Nova Tower

Unread post by railohio »

You mean the historical society that didn't do anything for 30 years?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Is there really anything to be save on it?, Its a neat tower but looking at pictures, I think it too far gone
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

railohio

Interlocking machine and model board are still in it, IIRC.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Just there a week ago and the model board and interlocking machine are still inside it. It would be nice if at least the board were preserved, the rest of the structure is too far gone to be saved.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

cbehr91 wrote:Just there a week ago and the model board and interlocking machine are still inside it. It would be nice if at least the board were preserved, the rest of the structure is too far gone to be saved.
I believe this is the group trying to save it:

http://www.lodirailroadmuseum.org/index.html

They've been attempting to do so for years, intent on moving it and rebuilding it - but they haven't been able to raise funds to accomplish that (so far as I can tell). I suspect their repeated intervention is the only reason it's still standing though and at this point it isn't worth anything more than salvaging some historic artifacts (esp. the model board) and removing the rest. Any "restoration" would almost require a ground up rebuild using original plans since the old one is in such awful shape.
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

railohio

Save the model board and send it to Marion. The end.

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

railohio wrote:Save the model board and send it to Marion. The end.
QFT

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

railohio wrote:Save the model board and send it to Marion. The end.
+1

Send a few of the Armstrong levers, too. That's probably about the best you could do, I'd be afraid to move that thing...
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

3 Words:

1: Can't
2: Save
3: Everything
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

conrailman75
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by conrailman75 »

MQT3001 wrote:3 Words:

My sentiments exactly!
Chris Howe
Fairborn, OH

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MQT3001 wrote:3 Words:

6 more words.

1: You
2: Can
3: Save
4: The
5: Model
6: Board
Bottom text.

slwapprslw
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by slwapprslw »

It would be nice to save the machine and model board, but I wouldn't want anyone risking their life or limb to do it. With the condition of the tower, it may not be possible to save those items. As much as I hate to see it go, the tower is a major safety hazard. I can't imagine any historical society in their right mind could believe that the tower can be saved in its present condition. I see it falling to pieces on the first time someone tries to move it. The historical society should of stepped up back in the 90's when the tower was still in a savable condition. CSX is doing the right thing by demolishing this building. I'm just surprised that it didn't happen sooner.
Cass Telles
"Slow-Approach-Slow" - 'Go by way of the B&O'
My photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ctelles/

GenXRailMedia
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GenXRailMedia »

In an era when liability and safety concerns are paramount, it's remarkable that CSX allowed such a ramshackle structure on the right-of-way, to exist for so long.

Extract the model board, if nothing else; the levers are too integral to the structure and are probably in equally poor shape to mess with. If some entity is still insistent on preserving Nova Tower, find (or draft) some building plans, and build an exact replica. In Xenia, as part of the recreational and bike trail project, a replica of the former PRR Xenia Tower/freight house was constructed.

http://www.xeniastation.org/

Building a replica of Nova Tower wouldn't necessarily be simple or cheap, and the purists and die hard foamers would piss and moan, but it would be better than nothing.
"I'll stop you by the radio there, TV-19."

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/kc8wjg/

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/GenXRailMedia?feature=mhee

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

I second that motion; just be nice IF you could build the replica with as much original material from the actual tower as possible,particularly the machine and model board if proven salvageable.at least then it isn't totally a replica as in a completely recreated ( foamers would say fake, But I digress lol )
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

I nor anyone else should stop the group from doing what they are willing to put up the money for, but I sure am not in that spending boat

Pursue your "happiness", as long as I'm not billed for it directly or indirectly.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I say atleast save the model board and maybe a few levers. Is or was it actually the last standing wooden tower on the B&O?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

MDH wrote:
They've been attempting to do so for years, intent on moving it and rebuilding it - but they haven't been able to raise funds to accomplish that (so far as I can tell). I suspect their repeated intervention is the only reason it's still standing though and at this point it isn't worth anything more than salvaging some historic artifacts (esp. the model board) and removing the rest. Any "restoration" would almost require a ground up rebuild using original plans since the old one is in such awful shape.

Like you said, rebuild what? There is nothing salvageable from the structure itself! I would not be surprised one bit if the interlocking machine is what is holding the rest of the building up. Get the model board and maybe the machine and burn the rubble. How silly.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

You mean the rods Brent?
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

MQT3001 wrote:I nor anyone else should stop the group from doing what they are willing to put up the money for, but I sure am not in that spending boat

Pursue your "happiness", as long as I'm not billed for it directly or indirectly.
Just wait till you start paying taxes....

Practice Safe CSX