Rare Move Coming Up

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Rare Move Coming Up

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The eight mile spur from the NS that terminates at Davis-Besse will see a train very soon, as two steam generators will be shipped by rail to the plant from the Port of Toledo. The DB spur is used very infrequently, only when oversize and/or overweight equipment needs to be shipped into or out of the plant. The last such movement was several years ago. The spur was constructed in the early 1970's, to facilitate construction of the power plant itself.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/2013/ ... oledo.html

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Rare Move Coming Up

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Track is also kept in for when the plant's license expires and it's decomissioned - to haul stuff out. Of course no one has figured out where the radioactive stuff will go - but at least they'll have a way to move it :D

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

MSchwiebert wrote:Track is also kept in for when the plant's license expires and it's decomissioned - to haul stuff out. Of course no one has figured out where the radioactive stuff will go - but at least they'll have a way to move it :D
When is the plant supposed to be decommissioned? I've always wondered when was the last time that track was ever used. That and the Camp Perry Spur that is on Route 2.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I hope someone is able to catch this move on video/pictures. Can the rails support 470 tons? The nuclear plant in Perry, Ohio also has a rarely used railroad spur, but large movements recently had to be made by truck due to the extreme weight.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content ... besse.html

The extension hasn't been approved yet, but I'd be surprised (even with the plant's track record) if it isn't.
Chrisracer8903 wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:Track is also kept in for when the plant's license expires and it's decomissioned - to haul stuff out. Of course no one has figured out where the radioactive stuff will go - but at least they'll have a way to move it :D
When is the plant supposed to be decommissioned? I've always wondered when was the last time that track was ever used. That and the Camp Perry Spur that is on Route 2.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

MSchwiebert wrote:https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content ... besse.html

The extension hasn't been approved yet, but I'd be surprised (even with the plant's track record) if it isn't.
Chrisracer8903 wrote:
Can any one guess on a specific date for which the train wil actually go on the spur?
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

jimnorthwood wrote:The eight mile spur from the NS that terminates at Davis-Besse will see a train very soon, as two steam generators will be shipped by rail to the plant from the Port of Toledo. The DB spur is used very infrequently, only when oversize and/or overweight equipment needs to be shipped into or out of the plant. The last such movement was several years ago. The spur was constructed in the early 1970's, to facilitate construction of the power plant itself.

http://www.toledoblade.com/Energy/2013/ ... oledo.html
Any Schnabel cars hanging around the docks? They'll need a couple to move loads that heavy.
Norm

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Load is scheduled to arrive at DB on Sunday, around noon.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Forgot to add, daylight hours only for this move.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

Did anyone actually get any pictures of this move? Just curious...
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Load arrived on site at 2:00 p.m. Sunday.

I have one photograph that I did not take. It is on the hard drive on my computer. But, I haven't been able to figure out how to make it appear here. If somebody is willing to help, then I am willing to try posting said photograph.

The two NS locomotives that brought the steam generators in were still on site yesterday afternoon. They were doing some re-positioning of one of the sets of flat cars. No Schanbel cars were used in this move.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

This thread should help for uploading photos

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19711&p=163602&hilit=photos#p163602
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Seems to have worked. Caboose is leading the train into the plant. Ohio Route 2 is the grade crossing. The connection to the NS line that runs between Toledo and Bellevue is about eight miles west of where the locomotives are in this photo.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

That is awesome 8) used to drive that road every year heading down to Cedar Point, and always wondered if it got any service ever (never looked like it did)

Thanks for uploading! and to get it in the thread (if you wanted) you can copy and paste the message board code, and either leave the "thumb" in for small photo (or thumbnail)

Or delete "thumb_" to make it full size

thanks for sharing :)
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Nice shot! It looks like this crossing once warranted crossing signals. You can still see the base of the old cabinet and where the lights were once mounted to the poles.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, guys. Line gets used on average every 5-10 years, coincident with scheduled plant component upgrades. Big tie replacement program undertaken last year was a harbinger of this weekend's activity. The two NS locomotives which were still on site on Monday shuffling things around, were gone yesterday. As the two steam generators that are to be replaced will be stored on site, as opposed to being moved out, there will be no traffic on this line for years to come. So, back to sleep for that trackage...

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

A portion of the former Chicago Great Western mainline near Byron, Illinois is the same way. It connects with the IC&E main at Byron for access to the Byron generating station.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

jimnorthwood wrote:Thanks, guys. Line gets used on average every 5-10 years, coincident with scheduled plant component upgrades. Big tie replacement program undertaken last year was a harbinger of this weekend's activity. The two NS locomotives which were still on site on Monday shuffling things around, were gone yesterday. As the two steam generators that are to be replaced will be stored on site, as opposed to being moved out, there will be no traffic on this line for years to come. So, back to sleep for that trackage...
Did they take the flatcars and caboose with them?
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Yes, the flat cars and caboose have departed the scene, too.