Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The First Year

Unread post by midland sub »

Or they sit until just before they are needed and they get sent to somewhere to be cleaned then are returned to service. US Rail made a couple of bucks doing the tank car storage routine on the Jackson Lines.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

A far more likely scenario

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

With winter closing in how much maintenance work is ongoing and how much maintenance work has been completed?

During the first year of operation did they add any new customers? Lose any?

I think more progress was completed in the first year thanks to grants and loans than many of the previous years under the former operator but that's just an observation based on postings here. I wonder out loud whether they can get the railroad back to a 10 MPH no derailment railroad.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Question back in the late 60s and early 70s how many trains per day actually used this line? I seem to recall as a kid maybe 4 per day.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Sounds about right. Do you happen to remember when through service to Toledo came to an end? I remember seeing stored cars out by Colton as a kid, but don't remember when the line was severed.
jrgerber wrote:Question back in the late 60s and early 70s how many trains per day actually used this line? I seem to recall as a kid maybe 4 per day.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

No. 3054 is back on the property with repairs to the fuel tank following a derailment in Napoleon a few weeks ago:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/railohio/10391557355
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

No, I don't know whether thru service ended to Toledo or when the line was severed. I lived in Napoleon between 1963-1969, I recall the Wabash/N&W switching coal cars by the ballpark near Bales Road for the city owned power plant. There were times as a kid I remember walking across the Bales Creek trestle, I can remember there times kids did that and a train came or they fell off.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

On a side note: The ND&W officially opened from Defiance to Woodburn (IND) on October 15, the same date Shane Cullen of the railroad had promised the Ohio Rail Development Commission that this would occur... look for possible Lafarge traffic to interchange at Defiance. Lafarge has only sent a few cars west in the last year.

Sparks1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Sparks1 »

With the ND&W officially opening the route from Defiance to Woodburn (IND) on October 15, I guess they are adding emphasis now to the "Western" part of their name. Has there been any definite word on new industrial development on this section of the route? I would guess something is in the works to justify the expense of getting that trackage ready for regular service. Also, Pioneer has been changing around some of their motive power assignments recently probably due in part to the harvest season. Are there still (4) locomotives to work the East End and (2) working on the West End?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Sparks1 wrote:Has there been any definite word on new industrial development on this section of the route

No
Sparks1 wrote:I would guess something is in the works to justify the expense of getting that trackage ready for regular service.
No again, just being able to run things from NS to Napoleon basically and from CSX to LaFarge.
Sparks1 wrote:Also, Pioneer has been changing around some of their motive power assignments recently probably due in part to the harvest season. Are there still (4) locomotives to work the East End and (2) working on the West End?
Yes

The line was not in that bad of shape compared to the rest of the railroad, our recently deceased engineer friend had said it was in better shape than the most of the rest of the line. Just needed cleaned up. There has been several moves from end to end before this "official opening" thing that just occurred.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

The line is not in bad shape ? Your Killing me !

While I think the line is in bad shape Pioneer is making headway... and is better then being ripped out !

Anyhow here is a link from some photo's that I have taken in October, There is a photo of the ND&W of the switcher sitting in the yard in Defiance.

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... 072#p17072

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Couple things to chime in on.

First the mow equipment is in antwerp working on crossings and such.

Second Lafarge has no plans to take cars to and from defiance right now!! We are only setup for woodburn, modal boss has told me personlly they like the setup we have with NS and Pioneer!!

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Notch 8 wrote:The line is not in bad shape ? Your Killing me !

While I think the line is in bad shape Pioneer is making headway... and is better then being ripped out !

Anyhow here is a link from some photo's that I have taken in October, There is a photo of the ND&W of the switcher sitting in the yard in Defiance.

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/vie ... 072#p17072

Who said the line wasn't in bad shape?

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Any operational or repair work updates?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Same old same old, have yet to use Defiance to Cecil for any revenue moves.

dominique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dominique »

Does anyone have any idea on what might be going on along the ND&W just east of Cecil? It looks like they have excavated the ground and then laid stone down and used a roller to pack it down. Could it be some track going in? I got a couple of pics to show if I can get them to upload. Not the best pics but it was difficult to get a close look.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I notice that on Thursday, looks to be the same set up as they did over at Napoleon behind Railtech. A run around track is my guess ! Also caught a w/b west of Cecil on Friday headed toward Woodburn IN. While the track is still rough they are able to keep the cars on the track. To really see how much movement the ROW has experienced just look to the east from the overpass on 24 at the Cecil/Paulding exit and you can see everything but straight ! I have not noticed any ties being installed in the last several weeks so it appears that the track work has slowed at this time. Is it possible for the NS to hand off a unit train to the ND&W to forward to the Continental Grain & Barge facility in Defiance for load out ?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The ND&W does not have access to the Continental Barge facility & I can't see where a NS/ND&W/CSX routing would make sense for any customer.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Defiance to Cecil will just sit there, there is no reason to use it at this time which is why the MAW didn't use it even though they could have. It was not in that bad of condition and was better then a lot of the track on the east end.

DISCLAIMER: Note that bad is a relative term, compared to the rest of the US rail system is was bad, compared to the rest of the NDW it was not horrible.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

MagnumForce wrote:Defiance to Cecil will just sit there, there is no reason to use it at this time which is why the MAW didn't use it even though they could have. It was not in that bad of condition and was better then a lot of the track on the east end.

DISCLAIMER: Note that bad is a relative term, compared to the rest of the US rail system is was bad, compared to the rest of the NDW it was not horrible.
Outside of mother nature,Of course track not used as much won't wear out as quickly compared to more heavily used track.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D