Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Here is a CF&E grain train I caught a few weeks ago. I was coming home from work and had just passed under the 224 overpass on US30 when I saw the last few cars disappear into Van Wert. I didn't have my cameras in the car so I had my wife run them out to me and off I went to get them at the first rural crossing outside town notching out of their slow order! 3 EMDs roaring and a loaded train clicking down jointed rail, what a sound! The sun had already set so this was a blue hour shot.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:3 EMDs roaring and a loaded train clicking down jointed rail, what a sound!
It's one of my favorite sights and sounds too 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

11/25/13. EB FWLI through Van Wert at 7:05PM.Leading were CFE 3880/HLCX 6752 hauling 45 cars. Consisted of 4 CSX ballast hoppers upfront; 24 gons: heavy on CSX among others; 16 loaded steel flats: LRS, BCTX?, SSW, TTX and 1 box car.

11/26/13. EB FWLI through Van Wert at 6:25PM. In charge were CFE 3316/3880/HLCX 6752 pulling around 90 cars. 84 or so of the cars were covered hoppers along with 6 tank cars. Grainers included: AEX, CSYX, BNGX, CP/SOO, DJTX, FURX, FMLX among others.

The supersite work has ground to a halt because the contractor for the work was kicked off the job. Not much left to do, but the new bridge still needs rail and some other work. Plus, there a few other things to do. The contractor did a major no-no up by the diamond when they were trying to get their work done there. G&W/CF&E were not happy campers! G&W/CF&E has offered to help the city get another contractor to finish the job. Hopefully, they'll get done shortly or it will probably wait til next year. The new diamond just sits there assembled on site by the old diamond which is the slow order through town. We'll see what happens.

PW

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Everybody keeps calling it a "major no-no" but do you know just what it was. Find out and let us know please.

60Tonner

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Sent you a PM 60 tonner.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

In other Van Wert news the Carter Lumber closed. On the bright side there is now hope that Van Wert will get a lumberyard that will receive by rail. Anybody interested in starting a business?

Here are 2 recent videos of the CF&E (and IORY). I caught this lite engine move on a Saturday afternoon but I am unsure of where they worked on the east end. I also got the LSL leave the same day and put it on this upload.

CF&E 3024 IORY 4036 by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
IORY 4036 trails on CF&E light engine move by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

I shot this FWLI in Ft Wayne a couple of weekends back also. We had spotted the train tied down west of Monroeville where it had stayed since at least Thursday. About 2 hours later I spotted them about to cross Adams Rd so they got a crew on it shortly after we left. The weather was wet and still raining plus the train the were pulling was a big one so it was quite a workout for them to lug it up the grade into the yard. It took over 15 minutes for them to clear Meyer Rd!

Tied down by Monroeville
CF&E FWLI tied down west of Monroeville Indiana by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Wet rails, heavy train, difficult climb by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Take a Part by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
Sanding the rails
GP40x sanding the rail by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CF&E enters Ft Wayne by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:In other Van Wert news the Carter Lumber closed. On the bright side there is now hope that Van Wert will get a lumberyard that will receive by rail. Anybody interested in starting a business?
As always enjoy your video's, vanwerty! In the Mt. Clemens MI area Carter opened a good-sized distribution yard. Receives 10ish cars or so a week. However, they've been closing their smaller building centers so maybe they're focusing on wholesaling.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

12/18/13. EB LIFW around 7:20PM through Van Wert. Running solo was I believe CSX 8711 with 37 cars. Train had 32 covered hoppers upfront: AEX, CSYX, BNGX among others; 1 high-sided gon and 4 loads of steel.

Last time I was out by the Van Wert terminal there were 9-10 covered hoppers for trans load and 2 tank cars.

Still haven't put in the new diamond in VW, but R.E.L.A.M. crew has been working on the trackage between Scott Equity elevator and the diamond and north of the elevator. Crossing gates are installed on US 127 for the supersite trackage but hooded.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

1/10/14. WB FWLI through Van Wert at 10:17PM. In charge were TPW 4056/IORY 4036 with 29 cars. Consisted of 20 box cars including 17 upfront: TTX, YKR, GMRC, CRLE, SNC among others; 6 covered hoppers including CP Rail; 2 MTY bulkhead flats and 1 tank car.

There was also a LIVW working in town today for awhile. Left town this afternoon.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CSX 5223 and an 800 series loco had a westbound grain train through Van Wert about 8:30 this morning.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

4200 ft LIFW approaching van wert eastbound. Not sure of leader yet.

EDIT: CSX 587/689. Stopped west of VW til LIVW clears into the CN track.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

LIFW tied down east of Convoy facing wb, 3 units. Can't see clearly from the road but wife said HLCX and 2 red/grey CF&E...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/6/14. WB LIFW through Van Wert at 11:45AM. Leading long hood forward were CSX 456/100 [both AC44CW] hauling 53 cars. Train consisted of 26 covered hoppers: FMLX AEX, ALDX, APLX, GACX, TILX, BNSF among others; 11 gons- 7 of them high-sided: MEAX, NHRX? among others; 7 tank cars: TILX, UTLX, GATX among others; 4 box cars: 2 TBOX, CP; 3 empty steel flats: PTTX, BTCXexFEC; 2 NOKL gons with coil hoods.

Today at the Van Wert Terminal there were 10 tank cars and 8 covered hoppers for transload.

At the Scott Equity the last I checked there was 1 covered hopper. Before that there were 19 covered hoppers. Have been running frequent LIVW's lately.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/6/14. Out and about and by chance saw the LIFW returning from Fort Wayne at 4:15PM. Leading were CSX 100/456 lugging 70 cars. Consist was 31 Bunge related traffic covered hoppers upfront: BNGX, CSYX, and AEX; 22 gons in 2 separate sections: CSX, B&O, MWCX among others; 13 box cars: FBOX, MSDR, GMRC and NOKL; 3 loaded steel flats/bulkheads: LRS, TTPX and SSW and 1 NATX tank car.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Grain train at Cole St ready to head to Crestline when a crew is called. CSX 3088/8500 series SD50 both long hood forward.

howeld
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by howeld »

Dont expect anything east of Lima today as the contractor is pouring one of the I-75 bridge decks. The concrete pump truck is set up on the tracks and I'm told they can have the tracks till 6:30pm. However it shouldnt take anywhere close to that long unless there are major issues.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

howeld wrote:Dont expect anything east of Lima today as the contractor is pouring one of the I-75 bridge decks. The concrete pump truck is set up on the tracks and I'm told they can have the tracks till 6:30pm. However it shouldnt take anywhere close to that long unless there are major issues.
Does CF&E go east of Lima often? I thought the only customer out that way is an elevator that ships occasional unit trains. :?