Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Wish they would run the LIVW a little earlier, I sure want to get a video of them taking locomotives across Bonewitz. Last time it saw them was probably when carter still got rail service. Scott Equity shoves cuts across on their spur when loading grain but its nice to see cars where there used to just be old row.

Also on the indiana side: Big C lumber by Triplecrown recently started receiving lumber via rail again. This week is the second time I've seen a centerbeam inside their gates. Also yesterday their was a contractor crew working on upgrading the spur. Anyone have more details? As far as in know this is the CF&E's only customer withing the Fy Wayne city limits.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CF&E LIFW just passed my house, hope someone wants to do night photography because it had a bay window caboose on the end!!!! Rare as the CF&E does not have a caboose. Passed Van Wert westbound at 11:46 pm. Should make it to Ft Wayne in about an hour!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Also on the indiana side: Big C lumber by Triplecrown recently started receiving lumber via rail again. This week is the second time I've seen a centerbeam inside their gates. Also yesterday their was a contractor crew working on upgrading the spur. Anyone have more details? As far as in know this is the CF&E's only customer withing the Fy Wayne city limits.
Big C has (had?) locations in MI. Around 1983 or so when GTW abandoned their line from Carson City to Greenville Big C in Sheridan opposed it. They claimed in their filing they received 250 cars (IIRC) the previous year (seems high too me for a small country lumber yard but that's what they claimed).
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I think you mean Big L in Sheridan. It's been there since 1965. Big C started in 1921. They used to run a lot wood thru there. If you were buying a big quanity, it was worth your time to get it there.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

6/16/14. EB loaded welded rail train through Van Wert at 9:05PM with CFE 3882 leading solo. Flairs were burning on each side of the CF&E main at the diamond in town on the old Cincinnati Northern as the train started rolling again through town.

Van Wert Terminal had 10-12 soda ash covered hoppers and a tank car at last check.

Last time I was by the Scott Equity there were 6-7 grain hoppers.

Out by D&D Agri and there are always tons of covered hoppers. Recently, I've seen a box car TBOX there among the covered hoppers. Do they load the box car or is it unloaded there? Hadn't recalled seeing that before unless I missed it.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CF&E LIVW just passed Elida with 3882/4024. Usually mix of potash/CSP/ Scott's but there was also a rail box which I do not not who receives.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

D&D.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

6/24/14. LIVW in town and heading to Convoy with 1 grain hopper in tow at 12:50PM. LIVW left rest of train in Van Wert down by the Scott Equity including 6 covered hoppers and 8 tank cars. There are currently 16 grain hoppers at the Scott Equity and the LIVW has pulled the 8 grain hoppers from north of Bonnewitz Ave. down to south of the elevator. Locos were a CF&E/ Green one most likely 3882/4024 per Scott's last report.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

6/24/14. LIVW leaving Van Wert for Lima with CORP 4024/CFE 3882 with 29 cars pulling off the old Cincinnati Northern. 8) Was pretty cool seeing it have that many cars as it left town. Covered hoppers: FMLX, AEX, HMBX, TILX, TGSX, RFMX among others; tank cars was it CRCX? all of them were same reporting mark. Just adding to post above.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Today at Ft Wayne the CF&E has a transformer on a 12 axle car. Sitting by the locomotive shed. Anyone know who is receiving it????

Sent from my crappy iPhone

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

LIFW through van wert at 2:35 pm 3880/3883 wb with around 50 mixed. Likely this crew will bring back a grain train as I saw one Thursday. Should have a SD70MAC leading back.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You still taking video's, vanwerty?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:You still taking video's, vanwerty?
Most of the time but I still am 2 months behind on editing! Didn't film this one since I was cooking lunch!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Here is that grain train I filmed in Convoy back in May:
At the beginning there was a lot of siren soundage...hope they weren't looking for some terrorist railfan taking pictures :wink:

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Hahaha. No there was an ambulance that rolled up to the crossing on the east side of town just after the gates dropped, you can see it in the video.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

3882 leading another red geep wb through VW at 11:15. Train was entirely loaded stone cars. These cars were loaded on the I&O at Lima.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:There is a LTEX 1485 on the west end of Cole St yard today.
Is it GP15? JAIL had a couple last winter and it seems they were in the same number range.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:There is a LTEX 1485 on the west end of Cole St yard today.
Is it GP15? JAIL had a couple last winter and it seems they were in the same number range.
I think CSX forgot it over there... Caught LTEX 1480 yesterday on Q559, they were going to use it to lead til they realized it had no radio or icebox. Both 1480 and 1485 were photographed on CSX at Hamilton Ohio on 7-16 so I'm thinking CSX has them leased.