Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
TrainWatcher
The Beast

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Sorry, my mistake.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

WB grain train a little before 10AM this morning. Had NS widecab upfront followed by CP widecab. Both were GE toasters and running elephant style. Looked like it was a Bunge grain train.
Also, in the afternoon there was another WB through Van Wert. By the sounds of the horn it was probably the LIFW. But, could have been something else going through town.

PW

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

Great vid Scott! thanks for sharing, Ken 8)

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

I saw fleeting trains mentioned as an option above. What is the passing siding situation like on the PRR these days?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

ns8401 wrote:What is the passing siding situation like on the PRR these days?
Calling it a "passing siding" (which is what I've always called them) will lead to a huge argument here at RRFight.com :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:
Calling it a "passing siding" (which is what I've always called them) will lead to a huge argument here at RRFight.com :lol:
In this instance, dealing with former PRR track, "Passing Siding" is the correct term. Consult a copy of a PRR C.T. 1000 for confirmation.

http://pennsyrr.com/kc/docs/downloads/ct1000w_1945.pdf :mrgreen:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Not much in the way of sidings between Bucyrus and Fort Wayne. I want to say there are two or three sidings that could actually be used for meets.
Bottom text.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

From Bucyrus east you could meet trains at Upper, Lima, (Potentially you could meet several trains there if you were going to fleet things which is likely how you would do it anyway.) and Delphos. That is it.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Delphos would only work if there were no cars for Bunge in those sidings...but, that is rarely the case...if we count those types of tracks then you could in theory, meet a train over at "Gam" by the P&G plant.

Cole Street Yard could handle a few trains...the biggest issue with meeting trains in Lima is the amount of crossings you'd block depending on the size of the train, especially west of the yard.

IDEALLY, if this is line is in serious consideration for bi-directional traffic, NS/CF&E/CSX would be wise to find a rural location to put in a siding or two. A CTC "island" that would allow for a control point to get a train into a passing track, the other end would be a spring switch also with a control point. Not that far fetched and far cheaper then reinstalling signals over the entire line.

Tis fun to dream...
MagnumForce wrote:From Bucyrus east you could meet trains at Upper, Lima, (Potentially you could meet several trains there if you were going to fleet things which is likely how you would do it anyway.) and Delphos. That is it.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

AARR wrote:
Calling it a "passing siding" will lead to a huge argument here at RRFight.com :lol:
A train uses a siding to pass another train, no?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

CG Tower wrote:IDEALLY, if this is line is in serious consideration for bi-directional traffic, NS/CF&E/CSX would be wise to find a rural location to put in a siding or two. A CTC "island" that would allow for a control point to get a train into a passing track, the other end would be a spring switch also with a control point.
They appear to have surveyed for a CTC island near Ada and dumped a large amount of tie plates. Spending the money on a siding to NS is the equivalent of us putting a buck in the salvation army kettle!

Saturday I was heading east to visit family when I heard the tie train getting a warrant Forest to Colsan. Unfortunately they were at the end of their day and heading back to Chess to lock in the clear but still it was a nice little chase! Also the camp train is at Chess with 10 camp trailers, generator car and a gondola(buffer?).
http://youtu.be/z_7nGCIZzjs

ImageNS 8876 Kirby Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
ImageNS 2557 Kirby Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
ImageNS 8876 Upper Sandusky by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Old news but I haven't put the picture up here yet: IORY 4034 with a blown prime mover. Doubt it will run in these colors again...
Imageiory 4034 prime mover blown by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

A pile of tie plates and survey does not a CTC island make...so, before we start any unnecessary rumors, lets get the facts. It could be just a siding...

Location, "near Ada" is pretty broad! Do you have a better location place...(near county road such and such).

CG

alittlevanwerty wrote:
CG Tower wrote:IDEALLY, if this is line is in serious consideration for bi-directional traffic, NS/CF&E/CSX would be wise to find a rural location to put in a siding or two. A CTC "island" that would allow for a control point to get a train into a passing track, the other end would be a spring switch also with a control point.
They appear to have surveyed for a CTC island near Ada and dumped a large amount of tie plates. Spending the money on a siding to NS is the equivalent of us putting a buck in the salvation army kettle!

Saturday I was heading east to visit family when I heard the tie train getting a warrant Forest to Colsan. Unfortunately they were at the end of their day and heading back to Chess to lock in the clear but still it was a nice little chase! Also the camp train is at Chess with 10 camp trailers, generator car and a gondola(buffer?).
http://youtu.be/z_7nGCIZzjs

ImageNS 8876 Kirby Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
ImageNS 2557 Kirby Ohio by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
ImageNS 8876 Upper Sandusky by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

Old news but I haven't put the picture up here yet: IORY 4034 with a blown prime mover. Doubt it will run in these colors again...
Imageiory 4034 prime mover blown by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Sorry just going by pictures posted on the Facebook group Lima Ohio and the CSX Toledo Sub. Several people on there east of Lima post updates.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Some of us do not bother with the drama on Facebook, is there a link?

My point, don't assume we all know what's going on because it's posted someplace else.

:)

No worries, just etiquette I guess...I have been accused of living in a simpler time.

E at CG
alittlevanwerty wrote:Sorry just going by pictures posted on the Facebook group Lima Ohio and the CSX Toledo Sub. Several people on there east of Lima post updates.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CG Tower wrote:Some of us do not bother with the drama on Facebook, is there a link?

My point, don't assume we all know what's going on because it's posted someplace else.

No worries, just etiquette I guess...I have been accused of living in a simpler time.

E at CG
alittlevanwerty wrote:Sorry just going by pictures posted on the Facebook group Lima Ohio and the CSX Toledo Sub. Several people on there east of Lima post updates.
Not sure how to link a photo but here is the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/298271360351123/

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

alittlevanwerty, sent you a PM.

PW

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
CG Tower wrote:Some of us do not bother with the drama on Facebook, is there a link?

E at CG
Not sure how to link a photo but here is the group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/298271360351123/
Don't get me wrong. It is not your responsibility to post links on internet forums for others to use. I won't argue that point.

But...since he doesn't use Facebook the above link will likely be inaccessible to him, since you need a log-in to view the page.
Brett

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

It's too bad they have their little page set that way, all the other pages (nsdash9, nslocos, altoonaworks) don't need a login to view them. Also not all the pages are drama... the 3 I just mentioned are examples of sane pages.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I don't do Facebook.

It looks like the Kirby elevator spur lead is long enough but the tail is very short. Do they still ship by rail?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:I don't do Facebook.

It looks like the Kirby elevator spur lead is long enough but the tail is very short. Do they still ship by rail?
Kirby usually has a few cars on their spur.