Best Time of Day to Railfan Fostoria/Deshler/OakHarbor

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

Best Time of Day to Railfan Fostoria/Deshler/OakHarbor

Unread post by CSXandNSRailfanner »

I'm heading down to Ohio next weekend for a day of railfanning. I have heard some rumors that the NS Chicago Line is very busy in the morning (8am ish onward) and Fostoria is scattered throughout the day? When is the CSX B&O busiest in Deshler/Fostoria?

Also, what about Oak Harbor?

My goal is to see as many trains as I can in the 5-6 hours I will be down there.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Best Time of Day to Railfan Fostoria/Deshler/OakHarbor

Unread post by JoJames »

B&O would be mornings as the afternoon can become very dead.

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

JoJames wrote:B&O would be mornings as the afternoon can become very dead.
If I were to visit the B&O (You should know ibecause it says u live in Hamler) what times on a SATURDAY would I see the MOST hotshots? Like Q009, or Q010, or UPS Trains?

And recommend me a spot inbetween Hamler and Fostoria were Ican catch them running their 60mph track Speed. Bloomdale? Bairdstown? Hamler? If so, what location and what road?( Some place where I can pull to the side of the road so I don't block traffic)

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Holgate is a good place to watch them run at track speed. Keep in mind most of the "hot" intermodal trains pass through NWO during the night as a result of the departure schedules that are most desirable for the origin points. Q-010 is an exception however, based on my experiences down there, during the weekends it tends to run in the late AM to early afternoon - say a 10 AM to 1 PM window.

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

MSchwiebert wrote:Holgate is a good place to watch them run at track speed. Keep in mind most of the "hot" intermodal trains pass through NWO during the night as a result of the departure schedules that are most desirable for the origin points. Q-010 is an exception however, based on my experiences down there, during the weekends it tends to run in the late AM to early afternoon - say a 10 AM to 1 PM window.
How bout the NS Chicago Line? Good times to see their hotshots? And what city? Wauseon, Delta, Swanton?

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

MSchwiebert wrote:Holgate is a good place to watch them run at track speed. Keep in mind most of the "hot" intermodal trains pass through NWO during the night as a result of the departure schedules that are most desirable for the origin points. Q-010 is an exception however, based on my experiences down there, during the weekends it tends to run in the late AM to early afternoon - say a 10 AM to 1 PM window.
And Holgates a tad too far away... Hows Wauseon and Swanton?

Conrailfan1999
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Conrailfan1999 »

For Fostoria, the busiest times are between 6-10am and 6pm-12am. The major dead spot is mentioned a over between 10-1. Of course railroading is a nighttime business and action is nonstop during the night. Between 2am and 4:30am I saw 21 trains at Deshler last June. Generally the best times of days to watch trains on most mainlines are mornings and evenings.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Hamler currently has a 40 mph speed restriction on track two just east of the diamond. If you were willing to rail fan at Hamler to see 60 mph I may add that Holgate is only five miles farther west. Hamler to Fostoria sees more congestion with transfers at Deshler Fostoria and Galetea and also the intermodal yard at North Baltimore. The chances of seeing 60 mph freight are much less.

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

Whats an accessable parking place on Holgate?

Also, hows the NS Chicago Line in comparison?

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

I hear Oak Harbor is gteat, plus you cannot beat the location.... u can see both ways the signals and u have some zippy trains there too

CSXandNSRailfanner
Railroadfan...fan

On Google maps i dont see any galatea transfer?! Is it new? And what trains would use it? They can just use the toledo sub or c&o

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

CSXandNSRailfanner wrote:Whats an accessable parking place on Holgate?

Also, hows the NS Chicago Line in comparison?

Plenty of public parking by tracks especially on north side of tracks.
Galetea connector is in southwest quadrant and used by Intermodal and rack trains.

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

CSXandNSRailfanner wrote:On Google maps i dont see any galatea transfer?! Is it new? And what trains would use it? They can just use the toledo sub or c&o
The Galatea Transfer has been in place for at least two years now. Its quite accessible from the nearby grade crossing, on the east side of the transfer.