Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by MQT1223 »

MagnumForce wrote:Bunch of new ties stacked to put in this spring
When will rail be brought in since most of the rail is junk? I understand that Pioneer is just working on the stability but what would you say is the time frame? I'm assuming you can't really fix a cracked rail due to all the weight and abuse. A weld for example cannot fill a cracked rail.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Line would benefit from good ties, rock, and drainage before new rail...

Practice Safe CSX

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Most of the rail is in good shape. They went through and replaced a decent amount of rail in 2013 as I recall. As we've said before, the lines main problem is that it was built over the Black Swamp. Good ballast and ties will go a long way along with some additional work to the ROW.
Bottom text.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Drainage, drainage, drainage....the three most important items in having good track. They could also benefit from a Jordan Spreader to ditch the entire line.

CG
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

CG Tower wrote:Drainage, drainage, drainage....the three most important items in having good track. They could also benefit from a Jordan Spreader to ditch the entire line.

CG
CSX_CO wrote:Line would benefit from good ties, rock, and drainage before new rail...

Practice Safe CSX
Y@ wrote:Most of the rail is in good shape. They went through and replaced a decent amount of rail in 2013 as I recall. As we've said before, the lines main problem is that it was built over the Black Swamp. Good ballast and ties will go a long way along with some additional work to the ROW.
Yeah true. I've seen rail trails and abandoned rail beds that are in better shape than this, and even with deferred maintenance the drainage area's and ditches still do what they are designed to do.

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

I'm hearing rumblings that the 1606 is having some issues with the throttle not picking up. Anyone out in Defiance care to confirm or deny?
Apparently I work on GEs now...

DT&Ifan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by DT&Ifan »

MagnumForce wrote:Bunch of new ties stacked to put in this spring
Any idea where they will be installing these along the line? Have they been doing total replacement or selective?

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

CG Tower wrote:Drainage, drainage, drainage....the three most important items in having good track. They could also benefit from a Jordan Spreader to ditch the entire line.

CG
The railhead is even with the grade on each side and the ditches would hold water, the need to get above grade. Pioneer has dumped a lot of ties and been dumping ballast as well. Has anyone seen the SW run lately ?

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Last Saturday

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

Any updates?

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

From the Pioneer Railroad most recent proxy statement:

The Napoleon Defiance & Western (NDW) railroad
operation offers considerable potential for growth. This operation has benefitted from $4,004,000 of track
infrastructure capital investment since its acquisition in late-December 2012. $900,000 of these track
improvements were funded with grants from the Ohio Rail Development Commission (ORDC). In early
March 2015, we closed on a $1,000,000 rehabilitation loan with the ORDC that reimburses us for
rehabilitation costs we have self-funded to date. We are committed to our continuing investment in this
railroad to bring it to a level of service that allows us to grow the rail traffic in this corridor. This operation
handled 2,094 loads in 2014, up 6% from 2013. We continue to be encouraged by the levels of support the
NDW operation is receiving from local, county and state officials and the customers located along the
railroad and believe this operation has the potential with continued improvement to be one of the brightest
operations in our portfolio. NDW generated $1,440,000 of revenues in 2014 and $976,000 in 2013. NDW
net income grew from $385,000 in 2013 to $760,000 in 2014 and NDW generated $1,162,000 of cash flow
in 2014 compared to $668,000 in 2013.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

So Spencer Wendelin had to be making bank, investing nothing, paying employees like crap and still hauling close to 2000 cars a year. What a slum lord.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

And still doing it in a much smaller sense with those smaller Indiana operations.....

Not really anything new in this shortline business. Interesting enough The Magazine of foamers has a couple of columnist they treat with God like adoration that fall into Wendelin territory. Peel back the onion of Chris Berger's days at the CERA/CIND and Blanchard's days with the Chicago Missouri & Western failure would be some interesting reading. Nothing illegal, just typical creative accounting.
MagnumForce wrote:So Spencer Wendelin had to be making bank, investing nothing, paying employees like crap and still hauling close to 2000 cars a year. What a slum lord.

iKJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by iKJames »

What's the current operations like? Crew starts for the day when? Just wondering, since I might be going out soon. Thanks in advance.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

They start around 7 daily and go from there. Always beginning at the office in Defiance and going where ever from there.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

midland sub wrote:And still doing it in a much smaller sense with those smaller Indiana operations.....

Not really anything new in this shortline business. Interesting enough The Magazine of foamers has a couple of columnist they treat with God like adoration that fall into Wendelin territory. Peel back the onion of Chris Berger's days at the CERA/CIND and Blanchard's days with the Chicago Missouri & Western failure would be some interesting reading. Nothing illegal, just typical creative accounting.
MagnumForce wrote:So Spencer Wendelin had to be making bank, investing nothing, paying employees like crap and still hauling close to 2000 cars a year. What a slum lord.
When a friend inquired about working at the MAW he was told he made more in fast food then he would at the maw.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

I bet this railroad makes more for Pioneer than the actual Michigan Southern railroad this railroad is technically a subsidy to.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

JStryker722 wrote:I bet this railroad makes more for Pioneer than the actual Michigan Southern railroad this railroad is technically a subsidy to.
MSO has about half the track and half the car volumes and is serviced 3x per week. I'm not sure what that equates to in profitability :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

I know this question has been asked in the past, but has there been any recent talk in 2015 of new customers going online east of Route 6/24?

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

No.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"