CCET operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CCET operations

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Yes I did see they were used for ethanol but wonder if they could ever be used for something other than ethanol?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They can be used for some other material but more than likely with the glut of cars in ethanol service they'll just end up in storage like redcrumbox said. There was a former Virginia Power unit coal train in storage over on the CIND that the owners were basically stuck with. The value of the cars versus what they were on the books for was so out of whack they couldn't afford the loss it would take to sell them. Also there was no interest by anyone to lease them. They sat there for at least 3 years or more and it was assumed they would never move again and be scrapped in place due to the cost of work to get them back into service- I think there was wheel set replacement issues. Someone finally bought the cars early this year.

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

I drove past the Afton Yard last night and there isn`t a whole lot of room left in there for many more tankers. I would assume the next possible place to store a large amount would be in...Sardinia? The last video that I saw from a guy named Jawtooth on Youtube earlier this week showed 2 or 3 empty sidings there that I would think could be used for storage unless of course the CCET has gotten all of the cars they were supposed to get. I do know they have been busy as there is a shine on the rails that hasn`t been seen for a long, long time. Have they gotten any more customers besides Huhtamaki and Winchester Ag? I heard somewhere that they were close to getting a couple of more. Who owns the big lumber outfit out near Macon these days, or is it even open anymore? I know they have a siding there, because back in the day I used to go visit a friend that lived right off of route 62 and would see cars there all the time.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

Speaking of Jawtooth, here are a few of his videos on the Peavine from June 3rd.....

https://youtu.be/RocBsuXHadY

https://youtu.be/S7sVP8wrT3E

https://youtu.be/94VsbuB6-mA

That's some great stuff.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think that used to be Ryland Homes out at Macon. It's some sort of recycling place of unknown owners or purpose other than large piles of junk around the property. Only potential customer I know of now are around Alton/Batavia area.

The last I heard all of those ethanol cars for storage were received and spotted. There should be a few DDJX covered hoppers showing up for storage. The first car of the 7 they picked up at Clare was one of them.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

From what I heard this week the CCET wants to store more tankers on the Peavine but space is not becoming limited. Not many sidings left yet they would like NS to give them more rail space east of Sardinia. Since this rail isn't in use anyway this would be a prime opportunity to increase the CCET revenue bass on car storage. Plenty of room east of Sardinia!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Umm they already operate east of Sardina heypal. They go all the way east of Winchester to the end of the siding east of there. The problem is now you're going to have to start storing them on the main east of there towards Peebles. So it's a shove move to get them east of there. Next you're starting to get into a grade so is storing them on the main with a grade unprotected the smartest move...? Plus the farther east they go the more of a lease payment there's going to be to NS. The storage business is great but it can just as quickly disappear.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

See your point!

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

I noticed today as I was driving home from work that many of the tank cars that were stored in the Afton Yard are now gone. Has the CCET moved them to a location further East or have they been taken out of storage and put back into service? I was by there last weekend and the cars were still in the yard, so this has happened in the last couple of days or so.

looshi
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by looshi »

They've been taken west. I caught them switching Afton yard last Friday and chased them back past Roundbottom.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

One of the posts said they were storing ethanol cars. Those look like LPG cars :? . It's possible I missed something :oops:
looshi wrote:Image
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

They look like propane to me too.
Brett

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Think the Procore is a propane tanker. I hear the CCET is going to get another shipment of 35 tankers in the next two weeks!

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Think they have some siding room by Evans Landscaping!

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

US Rail used to store quite a few LP tankers in the summer on the Jackson lines. Frontier does well with storage business on their other operations so it wouldn't be surprising to see different cars come and go in storage.

I did see on Facebook this week CCET 2603 is on it's way back from repairs.

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

That is good because when harvest season rolls around they are going to need it to pull Batavia hill with all the hoppers that Winchester Ag Services is going to be needing, not to mention they will need it for brakes coming back down the hill!

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

I drove by the Broadwell Road "headquarters" of the CCET tonight after work and noticed that they have taken delivery of #2803 returning from being in the repair shop. It was parked on the siding next to the building along with #2807. Looks like they will be ready to start hauling beans and corn out of Winchester in late September and beyond.

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

Drove by the Afton Yard tonight. There are plenty of covered hopper cars in there, but I couldn`t see a single tank car anywhere. Apparently those have been put back in service.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

Got a question does R J Corman work on CCET power because i spent 4 weeks down in Lexington Ky and saw there power in and around the shop there. Couple of the GP49s where in full Alaska markings not even touched that made for some interesting pics, Alaska power in Lexington looked really out of place. But a nice surprise for sure.

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

penn central wrote:Got a question does R J Corman work on CCET power because i spent 4 weeks down in Lexington Ky and saw there power in and around the shop there. Couple of the GP49s where in full Alaska markings not even touched that made for some interesting pics, Alaska power in Lexington looked really out of place. But a nice surprise for sure.
That is where I heard they were sent to be repaired shortly after they arrived in Cincinnati last year.