route two armory

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

route two armory

Unread post by mustangjoe448 »

I drive a semi and pass the armory on route two everday was wondering the story on the tracks there looks like newer signals but tracks r always rusty no signs of trains.I know the tracks going to the nuclear plant get used here and there.could someone please fill me in on the operation of this siding or pictures would be nice to thanks

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Re: route two armory

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not sure of the frequency that NS works in the former Camp Perry, but the new lights/gates were the result of a handful of vehicle/train collisions a few years back.

mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

Lol I don't doubt that the way people drive on that road.thank u though

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

The track that crosses Route 2 and goes to Camp Perry/Erie Industrial Park was dormant for quite a while, until being reactivated a few years ago for a trash transload facility of some sort that set up shop in there. It was during one of those moves of an NS train either in or out that the referenced grade crossing collision took place. The initial solution was to install street lighting at the crossing, but ultimately lights/gates were put in. I believe the trash transload place has since moved on or moved out, so I'm not sure if that track is used much, if at all, today.

The track that crosses Route 2 and goes to Davis Besse sees sporadic use. The last time a train used that line was when the plant's steam generator was replaced a few years ago. It won't get used again until the next big maintenance project there or, the decision is made to retire the plant (its operating license expires in 2017) and begin dismantling and shipping out the equipment.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

They just ran a train to Davis Besse about a month or two ago, there was reports of them getting a transformer on facebook
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

They just ran a train to Davis Besse about a month or two ago, there was reports of them getting a transformer on facebook

Really? Where on FB? I am surprised, as the last move I am aware of on that line was in October, 2013 when the two new steam generators were shipped in by rail. I'm not disputing your info, but I am curious to see the report.

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Let me see if I can find the info, when I went out that way a few weeks ago looks like something been over the Rust at Route 590
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Found the post in the Ohio Railroaders group in March 20-23, I guess it been more than a month or two but who knows when it actually went down. the post showed the transformer all loaded up and waiting to leave fairport to head to davis besse

mustangjoe448
Railroadfan...fan

Well that all makes sense. Thanks guys for the info I really appreciate it

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks, ssnk79. I can confirm your info that a transformer did arrive at DB via rail in March. That makes two moves on that line in 18 months, which constitutes pretty heavy usage!

ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ssnk79 »

Yup no problem, I know those moves are rare and it caught my eye when I seen it on facebook

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Going into Camp Perry hasn't been used in years. The dump that used to get 20+ cars a day turns out was also taking haz waste without permits. As far as trains into the camp Silgon in the big old supply building (furthest west ) closed years ago ( 10+)