Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
ABB1501
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by ABB1501 »

MSchwiebert wrote:Those photos are 5+ years old.

ABB1501 wrote:Not sure if this is relevant, but I found this on the PUCO website. It has pictures of covered hoppers at the elevator.
http://gradecrossings.puco.ohio.gov/ite ... ALL&f9=MSO
I know. I should have said" when they were still receiving grain cars." Sorry

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Is there still activity in Liberty Center with the unloading of stone? Or was that a temporary project?

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The 8-10 stored cars that were east of the 6/24 crossing are back there when I drove by today. Also quite a few pieces of track equipment on the line east of Cecil.

h2466
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by h2466 »

MSchwiebert wrote:The 8-10 stored cars that were east of the 6/24 crossing are back there when I drove by today. Also quite a few pieces of track equipment on the line east of Cecil.
That equipment has been there most of the summer repairing the section between Cecil and Defiance. So they put the diamond in to deliver a few carloads of stone? Ken 8)

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

h2466 wrote:
MSchwiebert wrote:The 8-10 stored cars that were east of the 6/24 crossing are back there when I drove by today. Also quite a few pieces of track equipment on the line east of Cecil.
That equipment has been there most of the summer repairing the section between Cecil and Defiance. So they put the diamond in to deliver a few carloads of stone? Ken 8)
Yep ! Sad thing is it's the track that could use some stone.. There are gaps in the rail that the palm of a Man would fit into at the splices, Pioneer has put up No Trespassing signs on the south side of the track east of 108..

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jrgerber »

What locomotives are currently on the property and are there any more on the way?

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

jrgerber wrote:What locomotives are currently on the property and are there any more on the way?
List off the top of my head, anyone is free to add or correct anything I missed:

GP16s
PREX 1601
PREX 1603
PREX 1606

GP20s
PREX 3054

GP9s
PREX (Gettysburg) 105

I'm not sure if PREX 107 (NW2R) is still around, last I heard it was headed for the scrap heap. I do not know of any other locomotives on the way.

G
Last edited by heartlandguy on Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks.

AlcoGuy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AlcoGuy »

PREX 107 is an NW5??? or NW2? If it's a 5, i would hope it's not going to scrap as only 13 were made and maybe 3 or so exist....

heartlandguy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heartlandguy »

AlcoGuy wrote:PREX 107 is an NW5??? or NW2? If it's a 5, i would hope it's not going to scrap as only 13 were made and maybe 3 or so exist....
It's an NW2, my apologies. It is, however, from one of the earliest orders of NW2s, built in March 1939. Rebuilt by Burlington Northern in April 1975 as an NW2R, respectively.

G
"Alright, uh, get to a stop here and we'll order you a party bus for Lima" -12/30/16

"He ain't one of them terrorists, is he?" "Nah, just some paparazzi. We never get them out here!" -03/12/19

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

heartlandguy wrote:
AlcoGuy wrote:PREX 107 is an NW5??? or NW2? If it's a 5, i would hope it's not going to scrap as only 13 were made and maybe 3 or so exist....
It's an NW2, my apologies. It is, however, from one of the earliest orders of NW2s, built in March 1939. Rebuilt by Burlington Northern in April 1975 as an NW2R, respectively.

G
Wow 1939, didn't think NW2's were made that early. Hopefully it won't get cut up and end up in preservation somewhere. That's beyond vintage, its ancient for a diesel.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

SW1's and NW2's both were in production prior to WW2. However, production on both was halted for the war years as the War Production Board directed EMD to concentrate on road diesels (FT's) leaving switcher production to Alco & Baldwin. The 567 diesel prime movers were also used by a variety of Navy vessels (landing craft if I remember right) which was another reason why they were asked to curtail switcher builds.

jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan

Well its about what two years under Pioneer's control so how is the line doing these days?

matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by matt76 »

Track is still in rough shape but certain sections have been leveled and ballast has been dumped in areas. A lot of crossing protection has been replaced also. Unless they get a major federal grant they have a long upward battle on their hands to get the whole line in good shape. They are trying though.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

matt76 wrote:Track is still in rough shape but certain sections have been leveled and ballast has been dumped in areas. A lot of crossing protection has been replaced also. Unless they get a major federal grant they have a long upward battle on their hands to get the whole line in good shape. They are trying though.
Give them the benefit of the doubt that THEY ARE TRYING. Last time anyone paid attention to the condition of this line the trains were still following "The Flag".
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

This has been mentioned before but it's a very very long thread so the information is buried. ND&W's track can survive rated for 10-15mph. Upgrading it to 25mph or more isn't necessary for their operation. As long as they aren't derailing frequently the track is ok.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

jwilliam33
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jwilliam33 »

Good to see the ND&W in Napoleon today switching boxes at Cloverleaf. A much more professional looking operation than the MAW.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Just because tracks look good to our eyes doesn't mean much. The one big change to the I&O since G&W took over is the latest head of MOW is big into running a regulator and tamper. More so the regulator with a skim layer of fresh stone laid first. The regulator just dresses up the stone so it looks pretty. Just as many broken and rotten ties as before but it looks pretty.

SousaKerry
ALCOHAULIC

Unread post by SousaKerry »

Conrail used to hide a lot of defects with a pile of ballast. Just truck it in dump it over the bad ties so it looks like your doing work and the FRA man can't see the rotten busted ties. Trust me we have more then a few of these spots on SMRS that they have fixed over the years.
What smells like lube oil and diesel.... Oh wait it's just my "Locomotive Breath"

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Google Earth satellite images were updated recently. You can now see the activity back in October of the hoppers at Liberty Center and the reinstallation of the diamond. The hoppers were loaded on the eastern side of 109 as earlier described (without crossing signs or signals installed at 109). There was even a locomotive parked on the western side of 109. Does anyone know if this activity has continued since October?
Attachments
Liberty Center Diamond.jpg
Liberty Center II.jpg
Liberty Center I.jpg