NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by Paw95 »

I saw high rail marks last week at m.p. 94 at brook side siding close to McDermott. I painted the rails white their. Other than that nothing. They trim off the trees on the main I assume to just get through. I saw last year all the trees under the Vera bridge has been cut down. Some say it's the farmer who does that for access to other side of the field. But about 3/4 a mile before the Vera is another bridge. That's where he crosses under not the Vera. I don't know how the deal is. My YouTube channel is Preston Whitt. I live in the area and go quite often.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

NS dropped off several tankers to Clare Yard on Tuesday evening. Looks like they will be headed east in the next day or so.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Wonder if they will ever lease more rail to store more tankers.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Paw

Midland Sub stated a few weeks ago that NS may give the CCET more rail for storage if they want it. Haven't heard anymore about it. Guess that is something Midland Sub would know but I haven't seen a post from him in a few weeks. He appears to know more than most about the Peavine and local railroads here. This Heypal guy knows about the Peavine maybe he can answer your question. I haven't read anything on any forum page about NS giving or leasing any more track on the Peavine.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

northstar16 wrote:Paw

Midland Sub stated a few weeks ago that NS may give the CCET more rail for storage if they want it. Haven't heard anymore about it. Guess that is something Midland Sub would know but I haven't seen a post from him in a few weeks. He appears to know more than most about the Peavine and local railroads here. This Heypal guy knows about the Peavine maybe he can answer your question. I haven't read anything on any forum page about NS giving or leasing any more track on the Peavine.
I would think not unless they do repairs on the line farther east of Seaman. One thing I have noticed is the ties are rotting out that way.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Mullskinner might be right! The ties out that way are not in the best of shape. One thing the CCET doesn't need is a derail. They already had one car derail when kids were screwing around with a tanker and it cut loose going about a mile on its own before going off the track. At least no one was hurt but it could have been a deadly accident. Really I don't think the CCET even when they were very busy a few months ago with storage used all their siding tracks holding tankers. Don't think leasing more track makes sense as they don't make that much money on storage in the first place. I think the CCET is happy with the business they have now. Not too much but just enough to keep them busy and they are making money along with NS. The Peavine is pretty much done east of Seaman. I serious doubt there will be any more trains running on the tracks past that way again.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

I'm stuck on the side of the peavine. Reverse went out of truck. Stuck by the defect detector by mile post 85.5 or something. I dug myself into a hole and can't get out.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

Does the CET move limestone? They have a website up now.. although basic, it mentions limestone... never mind the two bay hoppers in some of the pictures on railpictures.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Supposedly have option to lease 12 old coal gons to use in stone service if they ever figure out the lease out to Plum Run plus Evans decides they want stone.

Frontier is making more money storing cars than they would ever make moving stone from Plum Run to around Alton. Stone will never leave the CCET as it was explained to me.

OSRR
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by OSRR »

midland sub wrote:Supposedly have option to lease 12 old coal gons to use in stone service if they ever figure out the lease out to Plum Run plus Evans decides they want stone.

Frontier is making more money storing cars than they would ever make moving stone from Plum Run to around Alton. Stone will never leave the CCET as it was explained to me.

I would say business is business but, no doubt they're makin decent money off car storage.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They seem to be storing lots of tank cars that are still placard for oil, ethanol and LP service and haven't been cleaned out so there's still some residual material in them. They get a couple more bucks a day storing those.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Midland if you look at the pictures at Plum Road it appears that the road has been paved and the rails are covered up. Unless the railroad or who ever owns the road takes the gravel or blacktop off at the present time there is no way they can run a train over that spot. It appears there is no siding before that spot from what I see in Google Maps.

Midland does the CCET have permission to run stone from Plum Road. I thought NS hasn't given the CCET rail rights up that far east?

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

heypal6878 wrote:Midland if you look at the pictures at Plum Road it appears that the road has been paved and the rails are covered up. Unless the railroad or who ever owns the road takes the gravel or blacktop off at the present time there is no way they can run a train over that spot. It appears there is no siding before that spot from what I see in Google Maps.

Midland does the CCET have permission to run stone from Plum Road. I thought NS hasn't given the CCET rail rights up that far east?
That was gravel that falls from the trucks and packs. My aunt was working the scale house their. She said a couple years ago before the ccet N.S. Tried to pick out the gravel but it was too much by hand.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Pics are from the end of January at the entrance of the quarry. It would take some work but the tracks are under a layer of rock and mud. The spur into the plant is buried in weeds and brush so who knows what it needs. I doubt they ever haul any stone out of the quarry, but it wouldn't surprise me to see them storing cars that far out.

No idea on what's up with extending the lease.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Good pictures Midland! Yes I can see on google earth that the road is covered but if it is just gravel it can be taken off and cleaned up. So Midland does the CCET have a contract to service the Stone yard up there or are they still in talks? Does Evans want stone from there? Figured they have enough stone in Newtown. Wonder how the rails are up that way. They haven't been used in many years. I bet the CCET will store cars out that way for sure.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

heypal6878 wrote:Good pictures Midland! Yes I can see on google earth that the road is covered but if it is just gravel it can be taken off and cleaned up. So Midland does the CCET have a contract to service the Stone yard up there or are they still in talks? Does Evans want stone from there? Figured they have enough stone in Newtown. Wonder how the rails are up that way. They haven't been used in many years. I bet the CCET will store cars out that way for sure.
The rails have quite a few rotted ties but a lot of it looks great for not being used in 13 years. They cut the downed trees on it and spray the line with weed killer. Their is some bad rail bed slips in McDermott which I have on you tube. Not all that far from Portsmouth.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

So you say Paw that you saw high railer marks on the tracks past Plum Road. Do they look fresh or are they from some months back. As far as I know the CCET has not been out that way with a high railer unless NS or the State sent one out to look over the rails for the sale or pull up. You said that tress and branches have been cut next to the rails is that from months ago or recently? I can't see anyone cutting trees or brush next to the tracks if they want to sell it off.

I didn't know NS gave the okay for the CCET to run to Plum Road. I thought that was in consideration but didn't know they open that part of the line up. Since that rail has not been used like Heypal said wonder if they can even run a train on it with extra weight. Surely don't want to see a derail up that way. That would kill the CCET with expense. So far the CCET has not put much money in any rails on the Peavine since they took over that line three years ago on a lease.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CCET last I knew was in discussion to lease out to just east of the quarry at Pine Gap Rd overpass. At the moment they can go to Seaman.

Line is fine for storage. Rotten ties aren't a big deal. I think you need one every eight or so for it to be exempted track.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

northstar16 wrote:So you say Paw that you saw high railer marks on the tracks past Plum Road. Do they look fresh or are they from some months back. As far as I know the CCET has not been out that way with a high railer unless NS or the State sent one out to look over the rails for the sale or pull up. You said that tress and branches have been cut next to the rails is that from months ago or recently? I can't see anyone cutting trees or brush next to the tracks if they want to sell it off.

I didn't know NS gave the okay for the CCET to run to Plum Road. I thought that was in consideration but didn't know they open that part of the line up. Since that rail has not been used like Heypal said wonder if they can even run a train on it with extra weight. Surely don't want to see a derail up that way. That would kill the CCET with expense. So far the CCET has not put much money in any rails on the Peavine since they took over that line three years ago on a lease.
NS high rails it every once in a while. Jawtooth on YouTube filmed one in between mp 80-90 close to where I live. I saw one also. I painted rails at mp 94 and found some last month. They cut trees to just pass on by.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Paw understand all of that and know the a high railer has been on the line several months back. But has there been an recent activity like in the last month? My buddy said nothing has been going on out that in the past three months. Not sure how the sale of the tracks is going. Figured if anyone knows Midland Sub would. All the activity is still strong at Clare and going east to the Ag. The CCET is moving fright at least four days per week a far cry from when NS had the Peavine. Glad to see the CCET making positive strides to the miles of rail they have to work with.