NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by midland sub »

They were never intended for the CCET. The line they were intended for went to another company. 2807 has a traction motor that needs replaced so this one is getting some use. The replacement traction motor for 2807 is there so as soon as it gets replaced I would assume the SD45s will go into storage. Those SD45 are fuel hogs compared to the GP49s. Winchester isn't going to load a unit train anytime soon either

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

Got it! Would figure the 49s are better with fuel. Thanks!

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

midland sub wrote:It's a former Montana Rail Link SD45-2 one of 3 that CCET's corp bought thinking they might get to be the designated operator of the line out of North Judson, Indiana which didn't happen. 2 more should show up eventually.

The Evans property where the CCET locos sit along with the passenger car are now off limits. Don't go on the property to take pics or you will face trespassing charges.
Glad you posted this Midland, I never ventured over to Newtown on my Nati trips because I shot the Alaska GP49's when they were on US Rail in Hamden, but when I heard they got the MRL SD45, I'm definitely heading there my next trip south for pics, I'll be sure to stay on public property.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Good idea to stay on public property. I heard last Friday that the area police departments have been notified if anyone is on the Evans Property taking pictures of trains they are on private property and will be cited. The MRL SD45 has been running down to Clare Yard to pick up and drop off tankers and cars in the last week. You can get a good shot of them on Tuesday and Thursday at the Short Park in Newtown.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Saw a video today on jaw tooth's You Tube site. He shot the new power with two other CET engines pulling a few cars to the Ag plus a good 30 tanker cars going east. Jaw Tooth said most of the side rails on the CCET are full up tankers even some siding that there hasn't been anything on them for years. The CCET is doing very well in the storage business since Jaw Tooth said the sidings are filled up all the way out east. Just saw a few more tankers down on the siding tonight at Clare Yard.

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

Wonder if they will ever lease more rail for more storage anytime soon. Hopefully they do.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The only filing by the CCET so far this year was a letter about the CP attempt to merge with NS. Rather funny letter claiming they serve 9 customers- none they actually name. Nevertheless at whatever point they do something one of us will catch it at the STB filings.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Midland are you saying the CET has nine customers on the Peavine? Three that I know of maybe four surely not nine. If they continue to stay strong in the storage business I wonder if they will try to get more trackage out east?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

No the CCET management made that claim. There hasn't been 9 customers on the line since probably the late 1990s when Ortner was still building cars at Mt Orab and the short stub of the Hillsboro branch to Mowerystown was still in place to the grain elevator. Its statements like that that show how big of a flakey company the CCET.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Pretty stupid of the CCET sending out false rumors when there are very little customers on the line. I could maybe three and don't see any hope of getting anymore. There is just no development on by the tracks that need rail transport. Maybe at one time before NS ticked their customers off there was a potential for new business. I think these businesses either moved or now use trucking.

The current state of affairs on the Peavine is only three customers at the most and the storage business which at the present time is booming. I took a drive up along the Peavine yesterday and most all of the sidings are filled with tankers. They must have a good contact to get all of these tankers. There are a few down sitting down at Clare Saturday morning so more coming up east I guess this week. If this continues to be a trend the CCET may need to ask for more trackage rights up east. Not sure what the status is with the tracks up east. Will they support traffic since they haven't been used in years. Can't see the CCET spending any money on fixing them up. Another problem is going more up east and storing tankers will be a issue with vandalism. Outreaching pass some towns on the tracks nobody is around there would be kids painting the cars and tankers for sure. Many of these tankers on the side tracks now look very new. I would think if any of the tankers that are new get spray painted the CCET is then responsible for damage.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

In theory the tracks are fine for storage all the way to the Scioto River bridge at Vera minus the wash outs and grades. You need an occasional siding to give some flexibility when whatever in storage the owner wants back and you need to dig it out. The last siding is Radnor I think, but that's east of a wash out so not worth the repair. I haven't heard anything more about them going east to Plum Run and that was just for more storage space and not access to the quarry. They're responsible for damages if someone lets a car loose like last year, but nothing on spray painting cars.

You can't really blame NS for the customers going away. Ford closed Bativia, Cargill bought Mowerystown and closed it, IP closed the box plant at Bativia, same with the Ryan(?) Homes and the Ortner plants. Look around Afton and you see a couple old tracks here and there, but those are 50 plus years old.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Good info about people who spray paint cars. Didn't know the railroad is not responsible for cars that are being store and a spray painted but idiots who have no right to be by or around the tracks.

Midland Sub do you have any more information about the sale of the Peavine? I thought something was going to happen this summer with the east end past Plum Road. So far have not heard or seen anything on the internet about a potential sale.

Thanks
Al

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The only thing railroads are required to do is make sure reporting marks and stuff aren't covered by graffiti.

NS is supposed to file to abandon different routes sometime. No one seems to know when.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

One thing I can say just being on the sidelines is the CCET is very busy more so than with the NS 51 ran the Peavine a few years back. Storage is booming as the CCET is pulling more and more tankers out east to store. More came this week several are sitting at Clare great to be pushed up east. Now the Ag is starting to really pick up with grain so it appears that the fall month operation will be rather busy for the Peavine. Kind of sad that there are only two companies that are the money makers for the CET. The businesses on the line use trucking for transportation. The new Claremont Business Park will take years to build, hopefully a large company will settle by the tracks that new rail transport.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

NW was pulling several tankers on the Oasis like going to Sharon Yard tonight. Looked like a least thirty going to Sharon Yard.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Yup was down at Walmart yesterday evening got out my phone to catch NS pulling tankers down the line to Sharon Yard. I missed the engine and the tankers were too dark so couldn't get the shot driving in my car. Looks like they took about 30 back. Today I noticed several grain cars down at Clare guess they will be going east on Thursday. That Oasis line getting pretty much action with the Undercliff business and NS dropping cars and taking cars twice a week. That line is about as busy now as it was years ago. The I&O is really doing some business on the Oakley line. I was at Sam's last week and noticed several cars sitting on the tracks at their yard over by Oakley Station.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

I know this is on this forum somewhere but what is the radio frequency the CCET uses on the Peavine and what is the frequency used at Glendale and what is the frequency used at Sharon Yard. I now have a scanner and want to put these frequencies in the radio.

Thanks

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Best to look up frequencies on Radio Reference which you can find on the net. You can find all railroad frequencies there for Cincinnati and the tri state.

tommaphet
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tommaphet »

[quote="northstar16"]Midland are you saying the CET has nine customers on the Peavine? Three that I know of maybe four surely not nine. If they continue to stay strong in the storage business I wonder if they will try

NS has never indicated any intention of selling or pulling the line east of Plum Run

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

They have three accounts on the Peavine. The CCET said they have 9 but there is no way. Storage they do have that going for them tankers going wild. Almost every siding is full of tankers so the business of storage is doing well and so is the Ag as that business will be strong for a few months.

Pulling lines and selling is something that has been talked about for years yet nothing is going on east of Plum Road. Paw says NS is having high railers on the tracks out that way cutting trees and brush. So just don't know what NS is considering. Will they sell off the line? I think not. I think the State of Ohio wants NS to keep the line as maybe something can be worked out to fix the issues that they have on the line which will be in the millions on the price tag. Midland say the line is going to be sold and really it should have been sold by now. So far no news so it is anyone's guess.

I heard a good one today many people who live in the new apartments over in Oakley are paying top dollar and the I&O is so busy on the Oakley tracks all day and night people who are living in these expensive apartments want a price reduction because of the noise. Many people who live there were told that the I&O was a dead rail. Far from it as the I&O is one busy railroad. It is like living next to a golf course, every now and they you may get a golf ball hit your home. That is what happens when you live next to a golf course or a railroad.