Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Y@
Ass. Janitor

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by Y@ »

60Tonner wrote: Should have scrapped the whole line then. What a piece of crap it is.
Well, I guess that proves how much you know the line. Zero.

People should think before they open their mouth.
Bottom text.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Y@ wrote:
60Tonner wrote: Should have scrapped the whole line then. What a piece of crap it is.

Lots of potential on that line. Lots of other lines abandoned that should have not been removed. Don't hear of to many being put back in.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JoJames wrote:
Y@ wrote:

Lots of potential on that line. Lots of other lines abandoned that should have not been removed. Don't hear of to many being put back in.
You know a railroad screwed up in the first place when talks of an abandoned line being reinstalled comes up. Like that power plant or whatever it is down in Indiana that had the railroad rebuild 10 miles of ex. PRR tracks that have been gone since the late 60's. What a BEAUTIFUL stretch of track. The ND&W could look just as good with enough support and financial backing. What 60tonner doesn't realize is that even though the line is still in dismal shape it still has a ton of solid customers on the line with the potential of adding more in the coming years. Scrap the line and they have to resort to trucks which could equal more costs. New management and improved track conditions do a lot to change things from a business standpoint, at least that's what I assume.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Y@ wrote:

Scrap it or else let it sink back into the swamp...........Y@ take off those heavily tinted rose colored glasses the customers aren't going to pay to fix this crap the right way.
Last edited by 60Tonner on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

Don't. Feed. The. Trolls.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Lafarge/systech spent 70000 dollars this year just on our little section of track. Most of that went to our a new siding, but the expense aside from that was substantial. For a company to spend money on the main line is silly to even think. That being said the rail is in use and we r trying to do our part by shipping cement to pennsy when we can.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Well, even though I do not expect operations tomorrow, I am headed down to find the Gettysburg unit, and see what else I can find. Something I needed to do in the MAW days and never got around to.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

There won't be anything moving, and I'm almost positive the Gettysburg unit is hiding back by ADS in Napoleon where you can't get any pictures without trespassing on their property, and I can tell you they don't like that very much.
Bottom text.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Thanks for the tips.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but there is now a new runaround track behind RailTech in Napoleon. No idea when they put it in, but it's good for at least ten 50 ft. boxcars.
Bottom text.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

Bulby wrote:
Notch 8 wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:How many cars will the new siding hold?
They're not a siding they are run around tracks as the have switches.. The cars will sit on the main and the locomotive will go around the train and a less of a chance of dropping cars on the ground..
I shared this with an acquaintance in operations for the NDW's parent; his reply was to ask me what I'd had to drink today. It is a siding, not a run-around. A run-around is a maneuver, not a track.

According to RR jargon that I've always heard:
"Spur" = access to an industry or customer, usually is stub-ended

"Siding" = has switches on both ends and can be used to store cars, re-position cars in the consist, allow two trains to pass, sometimes cars can be spotted for customers who don't have a dedicated spur, set out bad orders, run locomotives around train.

"run around" = I have never heard this used to describe a track, I've heard crews get permission to "make a run-around move on siding _____" or "Do a runner on track ______" but never have I heard a track called a run-around.
Yep, It's a runaround track, been there a year

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Official track name for north track west of Hire road CSX GM yard Defiance is run around track.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

60Tonner wrote:
Y@ wrote:

Scrap it or else let it sink back into the swamp...........W@ take off those heavily tinted rose colored glasses the customers aren't going to pay to fix this crap the right way.
Attachments
imagesbean.jpg
imagesbean.jpg (7.74 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
Brett

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

^^^Haven't seen a Mr. Bean reference here in along time :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Recent meeting of the Henry County CIC group the issue was mentioned that CIC would like the rail service to be restored to Liberty Center. Also was mentioned they would like to see the out of service segment between Defiance and Cecil restored to service on the ND&W railroad as this would benefit customers along the line in Henry County. Someone should have done some research before the meeting on the Out of Service section.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

JoJames wrote:Recent meeting of the Henry County CIC group the issue was mentioned that CIC would like the rail service to be restored to Liberty Center. Also was mentioned they would like to see the out of service segment between Defiance and Cecil restored to service on the ND&W railroad as this would benefit customers along the line in Henry County. Someone should have done some research before the meeting on the Out of Service section.
Lol maybe I should tag them in some of my videos!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

JoJames wrote:Recent meeting of the Henry County CIC group the issue was mentioned that CIC would like the rail service to be restored to Liberty Center. Also was mentioned they would like to see the out of service segment between Defiance and Cecil restored to service on the ND&W railroad as this would benefit customers along the line in Henry County. Someone should have done some research before the meeting on the Out of Service section.
When you mean research are you referring to the condition of the tracks (which that shouldn't be unknown to anyone) or the barriers that would have to be overcome to even make those tracks return to service? I think I saw something about a diamond being removed on one end or something. This thread is getting very long.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

I was referring to the out of service section between Cecil and Defiance and has been in service for almost a year. Napoleon to Liberty Center is not out of service other than east of the diamond as its used for car storage at this time.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Are they wanting the service restored east of the diamond to the city of Liberty Center?

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bluestreak81 wrote:Are they wanting the service restored east of the diamond to the city of Liberty Center?
Seems like this question has been asked before and IIRC at this time the answer is no. Perhaps one of the OH guys will know.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...