NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
looshi
Railroadfan...fan

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by looshi »

You can change that supposedly to a definitely Midland. Just headed past Afton at about 1:30.

I will say though that the streetcar cost is a drop in the bucket compared to true commuter rail. 71 Light Rail would have been 1.15 billion in 1996. Metro Moves would have been over 4 billion dollars in 2002. The streetcar cost is about $150 million in today's dollars. It's mainly been a priority because the low cost makes it an achievable project. Even commuter rail to Milford had an estimated cost of $420 million.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Everything always sounds good for the idea makers and the contractors who come up with numbers that are always lower at a start of a project. Like this Street Car named Disaster in Cincinnati. The first number was maybe manageable, then came the second number, where was the money going to come from, then Duke to move the lines and the city wasn't going to pay for it, then the city is going to pay for it and take the money from another funding project then now another 38 million. Then there was city council with half of the new members that were voted in including the mayor saying we don't want the street car. Guess what they voted for it.

Who is making money? The contractors! Who is footing the bill? The Taxpayers! Who is going to maintain the thing? The City. Who is going to be paying for maintaining the dang thing for decades to come? The Taxpayers. What a sham. They should have kicked every city council member out of there years ago. Maybe one or two of them are fine the rest are poor business leaders who don't have a clue.

Same goes for the idiot who came up with the idea to put a commuter rail on the Peavine. The cost would be tremendous for years to come and who is going to pay for it? The Ohio taxpayers. Who is going to make the money the contractors. Who is the commuter rail going to benefit? Only a small amount of people. Then there is the 32 expansion. A new road that will move traffic more freely to Eastgate. Millions of dollars, at the expense of taxpayers for what? To split Newtown in two, to wreck the wetlands in Mariemont and to create another traffic snarl in I-71. Best to leave things as is cause pretty soon everyone will be flying around in a car. Who needs streets?

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

Ok, I don't mean to raise the dust on an old thread here, but I have a question.

Why does NS or whoever it is, keep the peavine line between the Scioto River and Peables clear? I rode up RT 73 today and it looks like they recently sprayed weed/grass killer and cut trees along the closed line. Why would they be spending money on something that doesn't work??
Employee time and weed/grass killer has to be expensive.

I drove up that way expecting weeds and trees starting to over take the line, but it looks like it did when the line was active ...... except for the rusty rails.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

They sprayed last year. If they use good stuff it really shows the next year. For example G&W uses Asphundl to spray the I&O. This is their second year using them and it's night and day difference. The old contractor used watered down chemicals and a month later the tracks were covered with grass and weeds. Now the I&O looks good. So I would venture it's last years treatment still working. As for the brush cut back the FRA and more locally the PUCO are big on crossings be clear at least in southern Ohio. Now they filed the discontinuance I would say you'll slowly see it grow in some.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Asplundh does some good work. Southern Michigan Railroad Society just got sprayed and it is a TOTAL night and day difference as Midland said.

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

Just what they need, more AGENT ORANGE.

LC&S
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LC&S »

The CCET ought to get ahold of Asplundh because it is starting to get shaggy all along their portion of the line these days.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Couple of interesting video's out on the Peavine this past month. One shows the rails washed out at Rarden Ohio pretty bad, the other shows rusty rails out east, another ones shows gates not working out east properly. Rail traffic on the CCET has been three days a week for the most part and the new painted CCET engine is sitting up at Broadwell Road last night. Looks very nice in black. NS continues to bring tankers and cars every other day down to side tracks east of Clare. Things looking good for the CCET at the present time.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

heypal6878 wrote:Couple of interesting video's out on the Peavine this past month. One shows the rails washed out at Rarden Ohio pretty bad, the other shows rusty rails out east, another ones shows gates not working out east properly. Rail traffic on the CCET has been three days a week for the most part and the new painted CCET engine is sitting up at Broadwell Road last night. Looks very nice in black. NS continues to bring tankers and cars every other day down to side tracks east of Clare. Things looking good for the CCET at the present time.
Do you have a link to these video's?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jUa1QF3EkI

You can also look up Jaw Tooths videos or go on you tube and type in Peavine Ohio

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Here is a picture of the newly painted CCET engine.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 022&nseq=0

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

heypal6878 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jUa1QF3EkI

You can also look up Jaw Tooths videos or go on you tube and type in Peavine Ohio
Thanks!

Well, with the looks of that, I would say that part of the Peavine rail line is abandoned.

They should pull up the rails and ties from Peebles to Portsmouth.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

The gentleman that took the video said that is the only stretch that looks that bad. The rest to Portsmouth looks fine. It would cost come money to fix that up if they would ever open the line up there again. Of course that line hasn't been opened up all the way for a least ten plus years so anything that sits unused is going to have issues. I really don't think NS is going to pull that track anytime soon.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Noticed today when getting gas at Kroger's on Wooster Pike that the CCET has a long line of tankers sitting on the end of the track east of Clare. First time I seen anything sitting on at the end of the tracks there except every now and then the NS engine parks there and the crew get a bit to eat at Mc' Donnalds.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

That's been washed a couple of years now I believe. Shows how quickly Mother Nature starts to take over if not sprayed. It does a pretty good job showing what NS stated about the amount of work needed to be put back into the line if and when that day ever comes. Lot of old ties and rail that needs replaced. Though I will say the I&O has not problem running over rail that the head is peeling off like that. I think the chances of NS pulling it up are equal with it seeing another train: about none. Lump the Peebles to Vera section in with the other interesting old mothballed mains: Saluda, Tennessee Pass and what's left of the old Rock Island across Missouri and what not.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

On another note the Oakley to Madsionville and beyond I&O is doing very well. Think there are two trains up and two trains back every day during the week not sure on weekends. I was over by Sam's today in Oakley seen several cars on the side tracks over there. I guess that is there staging area in Oakley? I know one thing going up the hill towards Madeira that engine really has a hard time pulling that grade. Looks like the I&O keeps the tracks in good shape.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

G&W is a bit more proactive it seems in catching up with lack of maintenance that Railamerica did. RA wasn't real big in doing any surface work with a tamper and regulator. They did some tie work on Madeira hill and then surface work so it does look pretty good. Just knocked off the last of the 10 mph slow orders from Midland City to Cuba (regulator and tamper tore that up last year).

Yep they use the sidings at Oakley to build the R2 to run up to Wash CH and back overnight. There was a derailment in Springfield Friday before last so the R2 ran via the Dayton Dist last week. I assume they will be back via the Midland this week. Melvin stone train runs during the day. They actually ran it today.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Who moves the freight from Oakley staging area west.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If I understood your question there's three different ways traffic moves westbound out of Oakley. There's a CSX interchange job during the daylight that goes to Queensgate and back. Another crew goes Sharonville to NS and back- P&G traffic mostly. Then there's a crew from the CIND that comes to Norwood and swaps cars with the I&O. A fourth if you count anything that comes off the Oasis line- some of the pig iron.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting thanks! Thursday was a busy day as we had a golf outing and several trains were moving on the tracks most of the afternoon. Even the Oasis Line was busy most of the day a little unusual for more than two trains on that line per day.