possible connection in Bucyrus

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Re: possible connection in Bucyrus

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Um could it be that maybe they are just tearing down the "burnt" house you said was burnt and not actually starting it yet? Just wondering.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Thanks for the information! I am in Lima quite regularly and I occasionally drive past the I&O's Ford Park Yard where the W&LE tie up. I've noticed they've been down to only one per week (if that) lately. It's nice to have a bit of variety in the area.

Here is a link of W&LE 100 sitting in the engine service area a few weeks ago:

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/displayi ... pos=-55205

CG Tower

[/quote]CG I don't know the status of the WLE trains, as I've been assistant chiefing that desk, versus working it. I'll be back soon, and should have a better idea. Last I worked, a few months ago, I believe it was down to one trip each way per week.Grain has picked up over there, though, after a long hiatus. I can remember a year ago working that job and having two grain loads going east, and an empty waiting. Haven't seen that in a while.[/quote]
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Um could it be that maybe they are just tearing down the "burnt" house you said was burnt and not actually starting it yet? Just wondering.

I don't think so based on what I seen so far it looks like it did when they started clearing the area for the Columbus connector...There's been some other work done as well that has nothing to do with the house and some unusual activity..There wasn't a full crew yet,but suspect they will move in tomorrow or after the 4th of July Holiday.

NS was on scene.

I couldn't get back into that area due to the street being blocked but,will try a different approach in the morning by foot for a look see and maybe more pictures.
Larry.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Just because NS was there, does not mean NS was involved. I'm not saying either way, but if there was any possibility that the demolition, or process of demolition, could result in the tracks being fouled (which in NS-ese means within 10 feet of the edge of the railroad) they would have on scene NS personel to make sure that the railroad wasn't affected. We keep hearing rumors that the work is to start over the summer, my guess would be in July, but nothing has been stated officially yet. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next year we see 24R coming back, as there is some new Croxton traffic to come out of Rickenbacker.
The dispatcher is cool.

Markedup
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Markedup »

Larry

Just a note to thank you for all the info,
and especially the photos.The possible
Heartland trains are of great interest to
some of us over in Fort Wayne.

Mark

In Fort Wayne, Indiana

http://www.fwarailfan.net/community/

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

GTWTD3 wrote:Just because NS was there, does not mean NS was involved. I'm not saying either way, but if there was any possibility that the demolition, or process of demolition, could result in the tracks being fouled (which in NS-ese means within 10 feet of the edge of the railroad) they would have on scene NS personel to make sure that the railroad wasn't affected. We keep hearing rumors that the work is to start over the summer, my guess would be in July, but nothing has been stated officially yet. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next year we see 24R coming back, as there is some new Croxton traffic to come out of Rickenbacker.

I may be the new kid on the block as far as this forum goes but,I been chasing trains since the 50s..I do know what I am seeing in my area..It has started.IF you lived here in Bucyrus then you would know that they just don't raze houses ..We still have several houses on Water and Lane Streets that was damage in the flood of '07 and they are condemn and they are still standing even though they have been ordered torn down by the city.As of now the owners has not complied with that order.

We have a house that burnt 6 months ago and its still standing.

The house that was razed faced the FT.Wayne line and not NS trackage...

Again its starting just like it did when they started the Columbus connector..A small work force then WHAM! A full force construction crew.
Larry.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

well i was hoping the FAIL Train wasn't going to show up on this thread, but it seems as if the train is starting to push this thread in the other direction. :x As a native ohioan who is also from the region (Bellevue) seeing change to the railscene in the region is imperative. Perhaps a trip to Bucyrus is due for me to see what is going on myself so i can make an informed opinion. Once these trains are rerouted,how will it affect the train frequency between Bellevue and Fort Wayne?
Exit stage left

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

redside20 wrote:well i was hoping the FAIL Train wasn't going to show up on this thread, but it seems as if the train is starting to push this thread in the other direction. :x As a native ohioan who is also from the region (Bellevue) seeing change to the railscene in the region is imperative. Perhaps a trip to Bucyrus is due for me to see what is going on myself so i can make an informed opinion. Once these trains are rerouted,how will it affect the train frequency between Bellevue and Fort Wayne?

I dunno..I haven't heard and none of the NS employees I talk to knows yet.All agreed it will be interesting.

IF you come to Bucyrus you will be in for a pleasant surprise as far as the old T&OC station if you haven't seen it lately.

BTW..Let me know when you will be here and I will tell you of the better photography locations.
Larry.

redside20

Brakie wrote:
redside20 wrote:well i was hoping the FAIL Train wasn't going to show up on this thread, but it seems as if the train is starting to push this thread in the other direction. :x As a native ohioan who is also from the region (Bellevue) seeing change to the railscene in the region is imperative. Perhaps a trip to Bucyrus is due for me to see what is going on myself so i can make an informed opinion. Once these trains are rerouted,how will it affect the train frequency between Bellevue and Fort Wayne?

I dunno..I haven't heard and none of the NS employees I talk to knows yet.All agreed it will be interesting.

IF you come to Bucyrus you will be in for a pleasant surprise as far as the old T&OC station if you haven't seen it lately.

BTW..Let me know when you will be here and I will tell you of the better photography locations.
Well since i live in Columbus now, i travel through Bucyrus all the time to Bellevue and that station looks beautiful
Exit stage left

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

No offense brakie, but as I've told you before, I work for NS and that's my territory, and I know my stuff on that line. Whether or not you've been around for 100 years there, does not mean that you know the territory I dispatch more than I do. Sorry, but what your saying is not reality. We can wait and see what actually happens, but please don't tell me what is going on on lines that I dispatch.
The dispatcher is cool.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

While we are talking about it, look for an extr M5V tonight to Bellvue, and 61V to COlumbus with new pig iron traffic. Only 4 or 5 61Vs.
The dispatcher is cool.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

GTWTD3 wrote:No offense brakie, but as I've told you before, I work for NS and that's my territory, and I know my stuff on that line. Whether or not you've been around for 100 years there, does not mean that you know the territory I dispatch more than I do. Sorry, but what your saying is not reality. We can wait and see what actually happens, but please don't tell me what is going on on lines that I dispatch.

Well,just don't tell me I don't know beginning of construction.I seen it before-maybe to many times over the past years..
-------------------

Sorry, but what your saying is not reality.
------------------

So you say and you don't even know me...

I have nothing to gain to come on this or any forum and fabricate a lot of BS-that's not my style never was or will be...I don't repeat railfan gossip(unreliable unless proven other wise) and I only repeat what I been told by railroaders and I know several NS and CSX employees that's highly reliable.

Unlike most I am trackside every day-some times twice a day if the traffic warrants- and I know what I see and photograph and report what I see(usually with pictures) or hear from reliable sources.

And that sir,will never change.

Now then..

I agree we need to take a wait and see how the picture developes over the coming months...I have no doubts it will be interesting.

In the mean time I will report the construction progress complete with pictures since I been following this since I was told of the plan last Spring after asking about the 4 or 5 white hats running around in the area with large yellow note pads.
Larry.

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Redside, at this point look at a reduction of 4 trains over the Chicago district. The initial plans for the service were to have 4 new trains on the Chicago district with 4 taken off, so a net loss of zero trains. This was done pre-recession, so it'll be seen what happens when the connection is done. I will assume that they think that post-heartland corridor tunnel work will dramatically increase business, with some new Rickenbacker stuff along the way. I'm still thinking that we may see a direct Rickenbacker to east coast train via Mansfield, but the traffic hasn't fully materialized. (A side note- the 24R trains that were runnning were mainly running due to an excess of container traffic to Norfolk, so a weekly double stack train would run via Pittsburgh to avoid the low tunnels on the Pocahontas division).

Brakie- the reality comment wasn't about construction (a side note- what I said is still true- just because NS personnel were there does not mean that it is an NS project- just that NS personnel had to be there for protection of NS assets), it was about train traffic. My point about the NS people being there was that all too often when we are watching trains trackside we see things and assume one thing without knowing what is actually happeninig. I did it for years watching trains in Durand, only to find out how wrong I was. Unless your sources are lucky enough to be involved in the back room operations, which I doubt, they are only hearing what is being told through the railroad gossip mill (heck even local trainmasters have no idea what is going on with through freight service as their job is to concentrate on service local customers 90% of their day). There are people I work with who are convinced that anytime a train is removed from a portion of former Conrail railroad, it is being done for the sole purpose of NS screwing former Conrail people. The 14 trains a day figure is way over what NS is allowed to run over the CF&E. Remember, the CF&E is leasing the tracks from CSX, so the agreements are still in place. NS is only allowed to run 8 trains per day between Crestline and Bucyrus, and 6 between Bucyrus and Fort Wayne. Now that's scheduled trains, they occasionally have gone over 8 but not daily, and over the week it averages out to less than 8 per day anyway. Heck, the Mansfield crew base couldn't handle 4 trains each way daily, it barely can handle 2 each way.
The dispatcher is cool.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

Brakie -- on the railroad, we have a saying that goes, "tell a friend, telephone, tell a railroader". The railroad is like the biggest game of "telephone" you'll ever see -- gossip travels fast and far through the ranks, and each railroader the news goes through, the story changes just a little bit more. Just because you hear something from a "reliable railroader" doesn't really give it any credability as often times we railroaders are just as ill-informed as railfans (funny how that works if you think about it).

I would have to believe that someone in the "know" about the operations of a certain line (ie a DISPATCHER), would probably be a little more advised than train crew personnel.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

GTWTD3,I realize railroaders can be mistaken(I worked as a brakeman for 9 1/2 years)however,some times they know more then the fresh out of college management trying to run the railroad.

I also attended the public PR meeting and heard a lot of double talk concerning the number of trains..4 plus was used frequently as was 6 or more...

Now you started your topic with and I quote"Ok guys these are the facts i have gathered from various sources on some of my yahoo groups i am on. based on what i have been reading and talking to some fellow railfans in Columbus" Unquote..

Ok..Now the railroaders I talk to is wrong? :lol: I think I will trust the railroaders I talk to far more then a group of railfans.After all I was basically called a liar last year by 2 railfans in Marion when I casually mention a possible connector being installed in Bucyrus...Now on this forum I am stand accused of making things up and not seeing what I am seeing...Sheesh...Seems I can't win. :lol:

All to sadly this reminds me of the Army intelligence in 'Nam that wasn't listening to the daily field reports..Of course this time the end results won't be as bloody and deadly as it was back then.
Larry.

redside20

brakie where did you spend your nine years as brakemen? Brakie if you are a member of Western Ohio yahoo group or Columbus yahoo rails. that is where i got it from. With the exception of some rrfan members who work for NS who are on here and some ns employees i use to know in Bellevue, i am never in the know and i don't know everything and that is why i have to rely on others for NS information. How some get there information from NS is pretty obvious and how others get theirs is beyond me and it's none of my business. I get information however i can and it keeps me in the know about railroad ops. most of the info i hear from most railfans is heresay and disregard it. However if it came from an actual railroad employee GTWTD3 or Bob or another source in the know JQ etc...then i know it would be true
Exit stage left

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Brakie wrote:GTWTD3,I realize railroaders can be mistaken(I worked as a brakeman for 9 1/2 years)however,some times they know more then the fresh out of college management trying to run the railroad.

I also attended the public PR meeting and heard a lot of double talk concerning the number of trains..4 plus was used frequently as was 6 or more...

Now you started your topic with and I quote"Ok guys these are the facts i have gathered from various sources on some of my yahoo groups i am on. based on what i have been reading and talking to some fellow railfans in Columbus" Unquote..

Ok..Now the railroaders I talk to is wrong? :lol: I think I will trust the railroaders I talk to far more then a group of railfans.After all I was basically called a liar last year by 2 railfans in Marion when I casually mention a possible connector being installed in Bucyrus...Now on this forum I am stand accused of making things up and not seeing what I am seeing...Sheesh...Seems I can't win. :lol:

All to sadly this reminds me of the Army intelligence in 'Nam that wasn't listening to the daily field reports..Of course this time the end results won't be as bloody and deadly as it was back then.
OK... this "fail" is calling my name.
Like railroaders are the supreme gods of everything.. they dont always know everything thats going on. It's been said already, gossip travels fast. And, you can't always trust railroaders over railfans... several times I have talked to railroaders and they even admit that we railfans seem to know whats going on more than they do sometimes. We railfans (some of us at least), are a very trusted group, and some can be trusted over railroaders. In alot of situations, we seem to know more than they do. Not because they're dumb, but because it's our hobby and our calling. We focus on it too much.

Now, before you post your response that I'm sure will say something about how I dont know anything because I'm 15, please read what I just said very carefully, and think about what you say before you say it.
Bottom text.

redside20

looks like the Fail Train is right on time, won't be long till Zack locks this up before it gets nasty
Exit stage left

GTWTD3
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWTD3 »

Brakie wrote:GTWTD3,I realize railroaders can be mistaken(I worked as a brakeman for 9 1/2 years)however,some times they know more then the fresh out of college management trying to run the railroad.

The topic about yahoo groups wasn't my comment.

Brakie, you're taking this way too personally. Your railroad friends you have talked to in the past may have been right, but in this situation they are not. I was in the office the night the people from industrial engineering came in to study the CF&E west of Bucyrus 2 years ago, I had them sit with me over an entire shift. Then I seen the report that industrial engineering put on the company's plans for the line. Whether or not you believe what I'm telling you, what I'm telling you are things that people outside of operations planning do not have access to.
The dispatcher is cool.

Brakie
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Brakie »

Brakie, you're taking this way too personally. Your railroad friends you have talked to in the past may have been right, but in this situation they are not. I was in the office the night the people from industrial engineering came in to study the CF&E west of Bucyrus 2 years ago, I had them sit with me over an entire shift. Then I seen the report that industrial engineering put on the company's plans for the line. Whether or not you believe what I'm telling you, what I'm telling you are things that people outside of operations planning do not have access to.
---------------
You being a dispatcher I can believe that..

I wonder if that was the same crowd running around the Col/San area in white hats with yellow note pads last Spring?

My friends have been 99% accurate in the past and that's far more then the local railfan gossip machine that's why I am reluctant in dismissing what they are saying..

I didn't join this forum to be ragged on the information I recieve from what I believe to be highly reliable source nor am I here to start a fuss but,I don't take kindly to being accused of fabricating either..I never did and never will..I have no reason to and it gains me nothing other then being label a unreliable source.

I believe what we had here was a failure to commucate plainly.Had you posted the above information at the begining I would have listen and thank you for your valued information..

I say let's get back to the thing we love-talking railroad and chasing trains..
Larry.