Toledo Branch Stuff

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
csxt4617
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Toledo Branch D.D.s

Unread post by csxt4617 »

CSX_CO wrote:I always made it a point to hit the 'niner' detectors at some variance of '9' to hear it say 'niner'. Be it in the axle count, or speed, hearing 'niner' always made me giggle.
You don't have much choice with the axle count :mrgreen: Anyway, they replaced the detector near Hartford MI (66.2) not too long ago, and it's now one of these that says "niner". One night I heard a train length of "four niner niner niner"...that one cracked me up :) If they ever replace the one at Vine with that type, it'll have 2 "niner"s in it. (91.9)

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

Speaking of Kenton, what is running these days on the old T&OC ? I see alot of traffic turning at Marion going west and then south at Ridgeway. Anything much running on that line ?

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

JTNikon wrote:Speaking of Kenton, what is running these days on the old T&OC ? I see alot of traffic turning at Marion going west and then south at Ridgeway. Anything much running on that line ?
South of Ridgeway isn't the Toledo Branch, that's the Scottslawn Secondary (Sub). The Toledo Branch is the line north of Ridgeway where traffic drops off a lot. I think Q-218/19 only run as needed and I'm not sure if Q-131/2 run anymore but I guess it's possible. And then there's the H-719, which is the Kenton-based local that usually goes as far as Bowling Green as on-line business has dried-up past there.

And yes, quite a few trains go south at Ridgeway. The Scottslawn Secondary is fairly busy considering it's dark territory! All automotive trains are generated or terminate at Honda. Q-310/11 get on the Scottslawn via the Northern and Columbus Subs to go/come from Russell. All the intermodel trains originate at the Buckeye van yard.

Q-310/11
Q-207
Q-228
Q-258
Q-267 (as-needed Auto-Max train)
Q-279
Q-292
Q-122/23
Q-133/34
Q-146/47
H-708
H-711, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17 (a lot of these just switch around the Honda facility and don't traverse much of the main)
Last edited by cbehr91 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote:
JTNikon wrote: I think Q-218/19 only run as needed and I'm not sure if Q-131/2 run anymore but I guess it's possible. And then there's the H-719, which is the Kenton-based local and H-710, which is a Stanley-based local that works the north end of the branch.

Q-310/11 generate or originate at Parsons Yard. All the intermodel trains originate at the Buckeye van yard.
Q218/219 run 7 days a week. Q132 runs daily except Wednesday. Q131 runs daily except Sunday. No N/E local. Kenton local goes all the way to Bowling Green if they have to, though local business appears to be drying up there as firms shut their doors. There is (or used to be) a friday afternoon/night Q257 that would run from Toledo to Honda weekly. Also get grain trains to/from Kenton, sometimes going to Dunkirk to run around.

This time of the year will see Ballast trains to/from the Docks for projecst around Indianapolis, Lafayette, and towards Evansville, IN. MOW project in Avon yard right now has resulted in 2 trains of rock for the yard alone.

Q310 originates at Avon, and goes to Russell, KY. Q311 does the opposite.

Practice Safe CSX

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX_CO wrote:
cbehr91 wrote:
JTNikon wrote: I think Q-218/19 only run as needed and I'm not sure if Q-131/2 run anymore but I guess it's possible. And then there's the H-719, which is the Kenton-based local and H-710, which is a Stanley-based local that works the north end of the branch.

Q-310/11 generate or originate at Parsons Yard. All the intermodel trains originate at the Buckeye van yard.
Q218/219 run 7 days a week. Q132 runs daily except Wednesday. Q131 runs daily except Sunday. No N/E local. Kenton local goes all the way to Bowling Green if they have to, though local business appears to be drying up there as firms shut their doors. There is (or used to be) a friday afternoon/night Q257 that would run from Toledo to Honda weekly. Also get grain trains to/from Kenton, sometimes going to Dunkirk to run around.

This time of the year will see Ballast trains to/from the Docks for projecst around Indianapolis, Lafayette, and towards Evansville, IN. MOW project in Avon yard right now has resulted in 2 trains of rock for the yard alone.

Q310 originates at Avon, and goes to Russell, KY. Q311 does the opposite.

Practice Safe CSX
So the H-710 is no more? That would make sense if business is drying up.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Toledo Branch Stuff

Unread post by redside20 »

which business's are drying up? Down on the Scottslawn Sub we have the elevator at Kilevile, Scotts, Goodyear, a cement place and a grain elevator in Marysville and another elevator in West Mansfield. What business's are still served in Kenton besides the elevator and IP. Does CSX still serve the fertilizer places in both Blanchard and Dunkirk?
Arlington? In Findlay there is Hancor and Whirlpool. North Baltimore? what business's are still being switched out in Bowling Green?
Exit stage left

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote: So the H-710 is no more? That would make sense if business is drying up.
As long as I've been going up and down the branch, the Kenton NIGHT local had been working the industries north of Kenton. There is a Kenton Day local that works the places around Kenton, and runs down to Ridgeway to swap cars
with a local based out of Marion. I don't know the symbols, but the only thing that comes out of Stanley to the Toledo Branch to work industries is a Yard Job that works Chrystler

Practice Safe CSX

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

redside20 wrote:which business's are drying up? Down on the Scottslawn Sub we have the elevator at Kilevile, Scotts, Goodyear, a cement place and a grain elevator in Marysville and another elevator in West Mansfield. What business's are still served in Kenton besides the elevator and IP. Does CSX still serve the fertilizer places in both Blanchard and Dunkirk?
Arlington? In Findlay there is Hancor and Whirlpool. North Baltimore? what business's are still being switched out in Bowling Green?
Between Bowling Green and Stanley.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

redside20 wrote:which business's are drying up? What business's are still served in Kenton besides the elevator and IP. Does CSX still serve the fertilizer places in both Blanchard and Dunkirk?
There is a new Ag based business that was built on the West Wye towards the former Erie last year. Elevator in Kenton. Co-op on the Erie east of the Toledo Branch.

Elevator in Blanchard, Co-op where 67 (is that the highway that runs parallel?) crosses the Toledo Branch. Plastic pipe places (two of them) on the south side of Findlay. NS interchange in Findlay. Plastic place just south of Whirlpool. Whirlpool in N. Findlay. New Food/Ag place there on the siding at Galatea. Elevator/Co-op on the S. Side of Bowling Green. Plastics place just north of that on the east side. More plastics places just north of the campus, and a place that took tank cars. And another plastics (or elevator) place just south of CP 16 (can't remember the name of that town).

A couple plastics places in Bowling Green where going to shut down, or did shut down. My last trip through there, the spur on the east side of the tracks near the airport was empty. It had been used to store extra cars for the plastics place across the tracks.

Night local goes all the way to CP 16 if they need to.

Practice Safe CSX

redside20

the elevator or plastic place north of BG in the town or village of Dunbridge. Yes as soon as you get out of Dunkirk on 68, cross the tracks and go past a fertilizer dealer. Yes the two plastic tile places are Hancor

RD..Google and bing maps are my best friend. the plastics place is in Dunbridge and the elevator is in another little hamlet of Sugar Ridge. my mistake
Exit stage left

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX_CO wrote:
redside20 wrote:which business's are drying up? What business's are still served in Kenton besides the elevator and IP. Does CSX still serve the fertilizer places in both Blanchard and Dunkirk?
There is a new Ag based business that was built on the West Wye towards the former Erie last year. Elevator in Kenton. Co-op on the Erie east of the Toledo Branch.

Elevator in Blanchard, Co-op where 67 (is that the highway that runs parallel?) crosses the Toledo Branch. Plastic pipe places (two of them) on the south side of Findlay. NS interchange in Findlay. Plastic place just south of Whirlpool. Whirlpool in N. Findlay. New Food/Ag place there on the siding at Galatea. Elevator/Co-op on the S. Side of Bowling Green. Plastics place just north of that on the east side. More plastics places just north of the campus, and a place that took tank cars. And another plastics (or elevator) place just south of CP 16 (can't remember the name of that town).

A couple plastics places in Bowling Green where going to shut down, or did shut down. My last trip through there, the spur on the east side of the tracks near the airport was empty. It had been used to store extra cars for the plastics place across the tracks.

Night local goes all the way to CP 16 if they need to.

Practice Safe CSX
State Route 31 follows the line to Kenton and then US-68 to the southside of Findlay and then I-75 is only minutes to the west.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The one plastics plant in BG was Rexam (which is the name of the plastic container business that O-I spun off a few years back) they sold it and I "think" there's a new operator in there. The plant in Dunbridge makes plastic bags of one sort or another. There's also a chemical plant in BG that would be on the west side of the tracks south of the mall but north of the campus area. The yard job out of Stanley would serve the "Chrysler lead" (Chrysler has a machining plant that makes torque converters and steering columns there) but I don't think Chrysler is the customer there any longer. I believe there's a steel slitting place that gets coil cars in that industrial park now that is the primary customer back there. The yard job would also serve the customers that are left in the Ampoint industrial park (originally the Rossford Ordnance dépôt). There's only a customer or two left there now (contrasted to PC days when it had it's own switcher assigned)

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

Drove through Kenton today and noticed CSX road power, 2 six axles sitting on the south side near the elevators, seems to always be some power there. Elevator was being switched by an orange trackmobile. Also LOTS of steel coil cars next to a warehouse at that same location. Steel dist. site ?

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

Q267 - BNSF Chicago Blue Island to Honda Marysville has also been running more and seems to be sure bet for BNSF power, 2 units is most common. Runs south on the old C&O to Marion then west to Ridgeway then south again to Honda. Has been seen in Marion between 12 to 2 PM and I caught it in Mt. Victory at 9:30 AM this morning heading west. Seems to be all empty racks. As you stated, seem to have alot of Auto-Max cars.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

JTNikon wrote:Q267 - BNSF Chicago Blue Island to Honda Marysville has also been running more and seems to be sure bet for BNSF power, 2 units is most common. Runs south on the old C&O to Marion then west to Ridgeway then south again to Honda. Has been seen in Marion between 12 to 2 PM and I caught it in Mt. Victory at 9:30 AM this morning heading west. Seems to be all empty racks. As you stated, seem to have alot of Auto-Max cars.
So it never touches the Toledo Branch then? :lol:

Practice Safe CSX

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

Technically you are correct...did not know where else to put this info. as thought it might be valuable for folks out trying to catch some BNSF power here in Ohio. Being new, should I have attached this info. elsewhere ? Scottslawn section maybe, if there is one. Thoughts ? :D

redside20

RD and Co. There is a Pinnacle Plastics on Napoleon Road just south of downtown BG on Napoleon Road that gets hoppers. There is a Southeastern Container on Industrial Pkwy just south of the mall. and There is a Lamson and Sessions on Poe Road that appears to get inbound plastic hoppers and large outbound pieces of white plastic tile conduit
Exit stage left

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

So the H-710 is no more?
As long as I have been working for the railroad, H710 has been the Woodville Local, it only runs Stanley Yard, to Woodville and return. Also the job that works industries on the "Branch" around Stanley yards is a yard job. I want to say Y125 but might be wrong.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

CSX_CO wrote:
JTNikon wrote:Q267 - BNSF Chicago Blue Island to Honda Marysville has also been running more and seems to be sure bet for BNSF power, 2 units is most common. Runs south on the old C&O to Marion then west to Ridgeway then south again to Honda. Has been seen in Marion between 12 to 2 PM and I caught it in Mt. Victory at 9:30 AM this morning heading west. Seems to be all empty racks. As you stated, seem to have alot of Auto-Max cars.
So it never touches the Toledo Branch then? :lol:

Practice Safe CSX
No just the Scottslawn.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

http://sent-trib.com/trib/index.php?opt ... Itemid=115

Thomas & Betts took over the Lamson and Sessions facility a few years back - moving the plastic extrusion equipment out at that time, now remaining work is moving to a facility in TN.