MaW Daily Reports

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: MaW Daily Reports

Unread post by AARR »

I recall those yellow DT&I box cars that were used in Campbell's service. I also recall the DT&I light blue double door box cars that were acquired just shortly before Campbell's went all truck. Those light blue box cars were stored all over the place afterwards inlcuding on TSBY. At least that's what I think I recall the reason those light blue DT&I box cars were in storage so early after thier acquisition.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

MSchwiebert wrote:Campbell's has used paste tomato product to supplement the locally grown product for 30+ years at least. The DT&I recieived reefer loads of paste in interchange from both the PC & N&W @ Delta as far back as the early 1970's'

Yes, you're right, but about 10 years ago they stopped using it to supplement and using it mainly. The diced is only used in certain product.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Yes, those are the ones. I'm guessing at the dates but I think it was late 1980's or early 1990's they were stored in Owosso and Cadillac on TSBY. I was excited thinking they were for Cherry Growers in Traverse City (bottled and jarred fruit products). But I was told they were being stored with the hope of using some in bagged bean loadings that season. I got a picture of 3 or 4 of them being loaded with bagged beans in North Star, MI.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

The blue boxcars (the DT&I also had some 40 & 50 ft plug door cars in a darker shade) were originally assigned to General Mills in Toledo. (Outbound loads of cereal)

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

11/9/2010 16:20 EB CNUR 5 with 14 Cars (1 Reefer and 13 Boxcars)

Note: First time CNUR 5 has run to Napoleon in in couple of months.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Out of town today. Not sure if anythign ran today.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

AC60CW wrote:
AARR wrote:
AC60CW wrote:Boxcars are almost exclusively Campbells soup.
Inbound loads I presume. Any ideas what they're receiving? And if they're receiving 15+ box cars per day why don't they set up a bulk transfer and receive covered hoppers or tank cars instead?

Not recieving, they are shipping product out. Everything they recieve is by truck. Alot of it is truck in from local farms. Yes, the celery, corn, carrots etc. are all fresh when they are made in to soups. Until about 7 years ago even enything that had tomatoes were using fresh tomatoes. BUt since have gone to tomatoe paste. With prediced tomatoes in juice being used for anything that has chucnked tomatoes, ie. Pace picante sauce or Prego spagetti sauce that has diced tomatoes as well. The V8 juices made out there use fresh veggies as well.

Campbells has not used locally grown tomatoes for fifteen years. Also the corn in the soup comes from Wisconsin. Celery is grown in Michigan. Carrots and Red Beets would be grown in the local area.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

11/11/10 Eastbound through Napoleon with #5 and two boxcars at noon.
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

11/11/2010 14:30 WB CNUR 5 *Light*

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

AC60CW wrote:11/11/2010 14:30 WB CNUR 5 *Light*
The MAW has a mini-yard going in Okolona right now, the crew just tied CNUR 5 down in Okolona next to the string of stored cars. There are a few boxcars on the main as well, one of them derailed earlier. That's why they only took 2 in to Napoleon.
Bottom text.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Y@ wrote:
The MAW has a mini-yard going in Okolona right now, the crew just tied CNUR 5 down in Okolona next to the string of stored cars. There are a few boxcars on the main as well, one of them derailed earlier. That's why they only took 2 in to Napoleon.
Thanks for the heads up Y@. I was wondering why they only had 2 today.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Y@ wrote:...one of them derailed earlier. That's why they only took 2 in to Napoleon.
Just another day on the MAW

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Here they are coming in to Okolona to tie down
Bottom text.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Y@ wrote:Here they are coming in to Okolona to tie down
Where's the spur to this elevator?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

The engine is on the main, and the spur is adjacent to the main on the south side.
Bottom text.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

did it leave a vapor trail or sonic boom in it's wake? :lol:

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

MSchwiebert wrote:did it leave a vapor trail or sonic boom in it's wake? :lol:
If they're not careful they'll go Back to the Future :lol:

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

It was traveling faster than normal...I was barely able to get my shoes on and grab a fast snapshot of it. But alas, no sonic boom or vapor trails...so it didn't make the news as an mysterious missile being launched over California.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

11/12/2010 13:40 EB CNUR 5 with 3 Boxcars