IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub wrote:The Norwood Turn dragged 67 cars to Cincy Tuesday night with IORY 4082. Didn't hear how many they brought back, but CBNS 5002 and 4083 came back with the 4082. The 5002 got a work out on the WCH-A on Wednesday.

The WCH night job took CFE 3888 to work Valero and CPS in Mt Sterling. They left their cars at Mt Sterling and dropped the 3888 Haynes for CSX to pick up. It went to Columbus for the Logan Sub. The FRA man nabbed the 3884 for some violation. The I&O borrowed CSX 6125 today. Looked great on the Anchor Shuttle this afternoon. Should get swapped back to CSX @ Parsons on tonight's L3.

Rules test for the south end crews this weekend. No trains unless Lima crews get taxied down.
Why is it that everytime the I&O sends a different locomotive that way that there always getting taken out of service for one reason or another? Will 3888 meet the same fate :D
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

The 3884 had a blown power assembly. I didn't see if the 3888 made it down to Lancaster today.

Half of the I&O's active loco fleet was in Wash CH Friday morning. The WCH-B took CIND 5003-CBNS 5002 to Springfield with about 30 cars of DT&I traffic. Didn't see much of anything they brought back. A Springfield crew swapped a load grain train for an empty one @ Haynes Thursday night with 4071-4072. They tied down with the empty in Wash CH this morning. CEFX 9400-IORY 5001 ended up as the WCH-A power.

redside20

Midland, hows the economy in Court House these days? I was reading the classified section in both the Columbus Dispatch and London Madison Press and i saw something that Smurfit Stone and Yusa were both hiring. Smurfit is a customer for the I&0 correct? Yusa is not. What is the frequency of traffic on the I&0 out of Smurfit these days?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Better than it was a couple of years ago. YUSA makes part for Honda. Smurtfit is running pretty strong. They make boxes for both Amazon and the Columbus Budweiser bottling plant. Rail wise they are hit or miss. Last fall they were a steady 5 to 8 inbound cars of paper a week. Tapered off to mostly trucks and now again getting boxcars again. They had 2 50 ft hicubes sitting outside the plant on Wednesday. Here's a couple pics of the Smurfite-Stone plant:

Last day of CSX service on the Midland H778 switches the plant:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1330456

The WCH-A switches the plant with the mustard bomb aka LLPX 2609:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1319697

Since Fiber-tech is on the same lead as Smurfit, I thought I would say something about it. Fiber-tech receives mostly BNSF and AOK hi-cube boxcars of plywood. They also seem to be back on track traffic wise- getting 4 or 5 cars a week.

The WCH-A switching the plant with NREX 4618-I&O 4034 and the DT&I 123 caboose tucked in!
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1319699

Seeing the pics of the LLPX and NREX locos got me thinking is it time we did a seperate thread on all the locos the I&O has gone through over the years?

redside20 wrote:Midland, hows the economy in Court House these days? I was reading the classified section in both the Columbus Dispatch and London Madison Press and i saw something that Smurfit Stone and Yusa were both hiring. Smurfit is a customer for the I&0 correct? Yusa is not. What is the frequency of traffic on the I&0 out of Smurfit these days?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I love pictures with railroad customers buildings in them. Great photos midland sub!
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="midland sub"]
Seeing the pics of the LLPX and NREX locos got me thinking is it time we did a seperate thread on all the locos the I&O has gone through over the years? [/quote]

Well I can certainly help with that as you well know! You start the thread & I will list the units lol

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

redside20

CSX grain train with 53 loads coming off the Midland Sub at CP Russ after hearing him blow for the Clime, Briggs, and Eakin Road crossings. I thought his symbol was G167, at least thats what i thought i heard
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Redside did you actually see the train? There was a loaded train sitting @ Haynes of older private hoppers (ex Rock Island and other old junk) on Tuesday. It sounds more like it was an empty potash train of CP cars that unloaded at Trupointe @ Sout Chuck. It was sitting at Fayne in the yard waiting to go back to Haynes whenever CSX got in the mood to come down for the grain train.

Caught the WCH-B on Tuesday night @ Fayne coming back in Wash CH with 4071-4072 and 18 cars of DT&I traffic. WCH-A had CIND 5003-9400.

Blan Job has CFE 3887. Melvin Stone plans on shipping again once the weather improves in March. 25 CSX stone cars and the 16 Melvin cars are staged at Melvin and Midland waiting to go. There's about 6 cars still loaded with stone from December that froze in the cars before getting to Decoursey. They're filling up the former #2 main between Midland and Blanchester with the NOKL autoracks.

redside20

midland sub wrote:Redside did you actually see the train? There was a loaded train sitting @ Haynes of older private hoppers (ex Rock Island and other old junk) on Tuesday. It sounds more like it was an empty potash train of CP cars that unloaded at Trupointe @ Sout Chuck. It was sitting at Fayne in the yard waiting to go back to Haynes whenever CSX got in the mood to come down for the grain train.

Caught the WCH-B on Tuesday night @ Fayne coming back in Wash CH with 4071-4072 and 18 cars of DT&I traffic. WCH-A had CIND 5003-9400.

Blan Job has CFE 3887. Melvin Stone plans on shipping again once the weather improves in March. 25 CSX stone cars and the 16 Melvin cars are staged at Melvin and Midland waiting to go. There's about 6 cars still loaded with stone from December that froze in the cars before getting to Decoursey. They're filling up the former #2 main between Midland and Blanchester with the NOKL autoracks.
Nope i took my scanner to school with me today. I heard the train blow for the crossings as i was pulling in to my apartment complex and have it on right now as i type this
Exit stage left

foamer fotaug
BANHAMMERED

Unread post by foamer fotaug »

midland sub wrote:It sounded like they were trying to put a Norwood Turn together late last night with the empty cars from Lowes and Domtar. If they did go Norwood I doubt they made it back and either the A or B Jobs will have to recrew it. Haven't heard anything so far Saturday morning.
@Midland: What is a physical location of Fayne? I can't find it on my Delorme.

Truth be told, the IORY is an operational NIGHTMARE!

The way things are now, one would think they'd move the Lima North Local to Delta, and put an extraboard up there that would also staff Lima. Lima, which doesn't seem to see near the amount of switching anymore, should be relegated to 1-2 jobs that would handle local switching between Leipsic and Jackson Center / local, IMO.

That might take care of the crew issues on the north end? Doubtful, until they hire another half-dozen people.

Springfield should be the new local base with a "north local, and a south local. If necessary, having the Springfield North Local meeting a proposed DSL

This retarded method of putting 3-men on a 2-man turn job to give them rotating days off is another abortion dreamt up by management. In theory, it probably sounds good, but there is no regularity. Rather than running a job 5-6 days per week, and covering it off the extra board on the "rest" days (of the regular crew; or even instituting a relief job), they have the men working odd cycles. Shortlines can be run far more fluidly than the IORY has displayed. For as much traffic as they've gotten in recent years, it's a sin that SOMEONE at the local level can't make it work A LOT better.

The IORY needs a focal point of operations, and it sure as hell isn't Norwood. Norwood is good for one thing, local switching. Just like the silliness of doing all CFE-CIND-IORY mechanical work there in years passed. What an abortion. WCH and the open space out there would be ideal for a 15-track yard, but I don't even see RailAmerica investing a dime in such a venture. They'll just base locals every 30 miles and "switch" their cars out in a siding. Someone in Jacksonville needs to visit a classicication yard sometime to get an idea what is necessary to run a railroad fluidly.

Lastly, the local management seems to misunderstand or outright abuse the concept of deadheading. I saw a job bulletin posted for Springfield at the end of December, which violated the terms of the Hours of Service Act. I also just heard about an issue involving a trainee. They ought to teach them this stuff in Jacksonville along with all the other worthless "core safety rules" they throw in their lap.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

foamer fotaug wrote:@Midland: What is a physical location of Fayne? I can't find it on my Delorme.
Appox 2 miles northwest of Washington Courthouse. Used to be a heavy interchange spot for DT&I and C&O. It is one of the locations that railroads give a name but it is not recongnized by anyone outside of railroading. Like Osmer on AA/GLC north of Ann Arbor.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Fayne is about 4 miles north of Wash CH where the DT&I and old B&O line to Dayton split. It might show up a Luray on some maps. Runs parallel to US 35 between Hoppes and Bush Rds. Technically it's now called Konrad. They finally got around to building the mini yard out there back in October. Typical RA half-arse job, though it's more than what some expected. They sort of rebuilt the old B&O main and siding with new ties and ballast and then put in a new switch to tie them together on the north end and then another new switch onto the DT&I @ MP 229. They built a new 40 car track between the DT&I-B&O. The old B&O main holds 80 cars and the siding holds 66 cars. It seems to be working out pretty good for the dumb way they still do things. New crew trailer is sitting at the north end and waiting for the electric to be hooked up. It will become the new crew base for Wash CH at some point- not sure if it will have water....

Here's a few pics of the new trailer and connection to the DT&I.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2317823
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2281352

No one else seems to understand the 3 man turn job thing. The bigger issue is the lack of usable power to pull the turn every night. Every night they have to make a decision on what to leave at Norwood for the next night. Traffic is strong for the Wash CH area not counting the DT&I overhead stuff. What are they going to do when the stone traffic @ Melvin starts up in March, the DDG out of the Lima ethanol plant and whatever the new Bluegrass Farms logistics place @ Jeffersonville starts shipping? If you can't get up Maderia hill with more than 47 cars of P&G, pig iron and other DT&I traffic with 3 locos you've got some big problems on the horizon. Why do they assign 3 locos to the CIND with the cash cow of an operation it is and then blow up an another loco by beating the hell out of it seeing how big of train it can move by itself...?

redside20

Come on foamer don't post your mad ramblings here please, there are other websites for that like CSXSUCKS.COM. BTW Luray also goes by the place name Hagler on Delorme maps.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Foamer f. is spot on with his appraisal of the I&O and RA. Sort of a been there done that view that foamers don't get. Not exactly what most want to hear, but it is what it is... Just don't read what he says- I would though, you'll learn something if you do.

Back on track let at least throw this last thing out about Fayne. If Bluegrass takes off like it might and another project under development at Jeffersonville happens, there's talk of relaying a couple of miles of the track on the DT&I row from MP 230 south to the Yeoman Rd crossing or even the Handy track. Clear the brush off the row. Dump a layer of stone and do the usual cherry pick of rail from an unused track somewhere else (yard at Ford Park). Looking at least 5 years or more down the road for this to possibly happen.

redside20

Yes i am in the agreement that the IORY does indeed have operational issues. Seeing how the traffic moves on the DT&I between Court House and Flat Rock, is like describing a hand off in a relay or a game of tag. 8)
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Redside you have CSX bringing down an empty ethanol train for Valero at anytime now. They will be picking up an empty potash train sitting @ Haynes. Should be K857 on the trip back to Columbus. Didn't hear what the ethanol train symbol was. The RA dispatcher wasn't quite sure what was going on. Called the WCH-A to figure out what was sitting @ Haynes....

CSX is going to start helping out the I&O with their junk power problems. Almost all grain trains are moving up to 90 cars from the current 65 car size. CSX power will stay on the 90 car trains. Should make the Haynes problem either better or worse...

redside20

midland sub wrote:Redside you have CSX bringing down an empty ethanol train for Valero at anytime now. They will be picking up an empty potash train sitting @ Haynes. Should be K857 on the trip back to Columbus. Didn't hear what the ethanol train symbol was. The RA dispatcher wasn't quite sure what was going on. Called the WCH-A to figure out what was sitting @ Haynes....

CSX is going to start helping out the I&O with their junk power problems. Almost all grain trains are moving up to 90 cars from the current 65 car size. CSX power will stay on the 90 car trains. Should make the Haynes problem either better or worse...
thanks for the headsup, but unfortunately i didn't see any trains today or have my scanner on
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

FWIW the WH-B will be running to Springfield and back today. Depending on what they dragged up from Norwood last night, there was supposed to be around 50cars of DT&I traffic alone not counting the Wash CH stuff. Should be 4071/4072 and maybe 5003.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:FWIW the WH-B will be running to Springfield and back today. Depending on what they dragged up from Norwood last night, there was supposed to be around 50cars of DT&I traffic alone not counting the Wash CH stuff. Should be 4071/4072 and maybe 5003.
Mostly stuff for Delta I would presume (pig iron) or is there some other traffic in there?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It's about half and half pig iron for Delta and tank cars for P&G for Lima. There's usually a hand full of other cars for Cincy in the mix.