Fostoria railfan park status?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Re: Fostoria railfan park status?

Unread post by redside20 »

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Does she have a husband that approaches railfans as well? I've never seen her in my several times at Fostoria, though there was a time some guy showed up and gave me a bunch of fliers and whatnot, saying it was from his wife.

Her husbands name is Wayne and if you see a younger male in his 30s, that's Aaron Gonya, he's the president of the society..As for Ellen, all she is promoting is herself..and other than that, is all I have to say on that matter.
Exit stage left

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

I finally got my first visit from her yesterday while I was there.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

I see her quite a bit at different shows. She has been to the RMRRC show was well as into Dayton, for the train show I did there.

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

TomCat4680 wrote:
Jochs wrote:
That sounds like Ellen, she's the unofficial spokesman for FRPS and does the majority of the promotion work for them.

Here she is at the 2011 Lansing MRC show promoting the Fostoria Railfan Park at the MSU Pavillion on 11/20/11.
Yeah she came there yesterday and handed out informational/promotional packets.
Yea thats who i saw.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TomCat4680 »

I finally got around to posting my videos from the trip.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24374

Pie39
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Pie39 »

AC60CW wrote:I finally got my first visit from her yesterday while I was there.
Be prepared for many more in the future. :?
Modeling the Ann Arbor Railroad in the 70's in N scale.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7JFDy ... ja0S1o7Q9A

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

Has anyone ever determined why Ellen's mission in life is the park?
I talked to her for about 90 minutes one night a couple of years back, and informed her that regardless of what was built, I would prefer sitting in my own vehicle, with my own scanner. My concern was that once the park was built it would render all other spots in town "off-limits". She kept coming back to the "there'll be a scanner, park benches, yada yada" routine. Just could not comprehend there are people who would choose not to go to the park. I also voiced the obvious safety concerns (would you go to the park at 3am?) and asked who would maintain the facilities-She dodged the questions.
If she is talking and a train is going by, she doesn't even look at it. She is not into trains. Why is the park a mission for her?

Also, I've seen her go and talk to people in town if they cross the tracks, lecturing them about using the street crossings. Not that she is wrong, but it's bad enough some of the Fostoria people hate railfans. A run in like that certainly would leave a bad impression to them.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

cr6903 wrote:Has anyone ever determined why Ellen's mission in life is the park?
I talked to her for about 90 minutes one night a couple of years back, and informed her that regardless of what was built, I would prefer sitting in my own vehicle, with my own scanner. My concern was that once the park was built it would render all other spots in town "off-limits". She kept coming back to the "there'll be a scanner, park benches, yada yada" routine. Just could not comprehend there are people who would choose not to go to the park. I also voiced the obvious safety concerns (would you go to the park at 3am?) and asked who would maintain the facilities-She dodged the questions.
If she is talking and a train is going by, she doesn't even look at it. She is not into trains. Why is the park a mission for her?

Also, I've seen her go and talk to people in town if they cross the tracks, lecturing them about using the street crossings. Not that she is wrong, but it's bad enough some of the Fostoria people hate railfans. A run in like that certainly would leave a bad impression to them.
See that's what I was wondering a month ago. If you're just going to sit in your car by yourself and not socialize, what's the point in leaving the house? Why not just save the gas money by staying home and watching train videos and or listening to a desktop scanner? Lots of people do like to socialize between trains, they sure do in Durand. In the summer dozens of guys go and talk about all sorts of things, not just trains. There's even a model railroading club there that meets once a week. There's also a gift shop for souvenirs and a museum for those who like railroad history. Also in Durand, people do stay there all night long. I used to do it every night for weeks at a time. I'm not sure what the crime rate is in Fostoria, but I always felt perfectly safe in Durand and nothing ever happened. The only time I ever called the cops there was when I locked myself out of my car.

I don't know anything about this Ellen lady but I think it's cruel to publicly criticize someone who's trying to make the world a better place and improve the local economy. Do you really think that vacant overgrown field overgrown isn't an eyesore? The whole time I was there I was thinking "Why don't they mow this grass and remove all this rubble, or put in some more picnic tables and another port-a-potty or 2; or at least pave the parking lot?" I look forward to visiting Fostoria again after the park is complete.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

What does it matter if he wants to leave the house and hang out by himself. Is he spending your money if he does? You better do some research on this Ellen person, as there are many mentions of here her and none of them good, so if we want to talk about here we shall. Even the Fostoria City Councel has gotten compaints about her.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote:What does it matter if he wants to leave the house and hang out by himself. Is he spending your money if he does? You better do some research on this Ellen person, as there are many mentions of here her and none of them good, so if we want to talk about here we shall. Even the Fostoria City Council has gotten complaints about her.
To each his own. I hate sitting in my car. I stay home alone all day, It's boring as heck. It's bad enough in my other hobby (planespotting), I gotta sit alone in my car with a scanner cuz of 9/11.

Some people seem to nothing better to do but bash others. Unless what she's "doing" is illegal, I don't see how it concerns you.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

I remember your post from about a month ago. Since you brought it up, I guess I'll reply.
I usually don't want to socialize with anyone for a couple of reasons. One, I usually have a friend or two with me, or sometimes even my wife. I've brought with me what I need. If I am in the mood to go alone, I'll bring a book. Regardless, if I am sitting there I don't want some random total stranger just coming up and inviting themselves in, which leads me to Two: The people I typically meet at the tracks are usually some of the most obnoxious, know-it-all windbags I've ever seen, or they are completely clueless about what is going on around them. I've hung around the tracks for 25 years, I certainly know by now when a train is close-I don't need a narrator, or someone telling me how far their scanner can pick up, or where they last went train watching, etc. etc.
As far as why I don't just stay home, I like trains. I like seeing real trains. Wouldn't you agree seeing real trains is better than watching them on your TV. I also don't see a connection between socializing and "why don't you just stay home?". I want to watch trains, so what If I don't talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry around?
Now, as for Ellen: I am asking if anyone knows why the park is so important to her. If that's a criticism, so be it. She has taken it upon herself to provide something she "Thinks" everyone wants-well, I don't care one way or another. But lets face it-people go to Fostoria now, will the park make a difference whether anyone else goes or not? Is there anyone out there saying "Id go to Fostoria, but even though it's busy, since there's no park, forget it"? But I definitely will NOT sit in a park with kids, and dogs, and everything else going on there. I was going to the park, in my truck, not socializing, long before Ellen took it upon herself to do this. I will continue after it is there.
It's wonderful you have never felt uncomfortable in Durand-great. Never been there, so I don't know. But I don't think I would sit, all alone down at Columbus Avenue at 3am. I know people do, but that's their perrogative.
If you are more worried about socializing than the trains, why don't you just stay home on a forum rather than go watch trains?

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

TomCat4680 wrote:Some people seem to nothing better to do but bash others. Unless what she's "doing" is illegal, I don't see how it concerns you.
It consersn me when she stalks people and follows them around and out of town, as she did to me and my wife and friend one time, for doing something she deams "wrong", when she did not know what was happening in the first place. Everytime she is around me she opens her mouth and inserts her foot in it, and I make sure everyone knows about it.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

cr6903 wrote:I remember your post from about a month ago. Since you brought it up, I guess I'll reply.
I usually don't want to socialize with anyone for a couple of reasons. One, I usually have a friend or two with me, or sometimes even my wife. I've brought with me what I need. If I am in the mood to go alone, I'll bring a book. Regardless, if I am sitting there I don't want some random total stranger just coming up and inviting themselves in, which leads me to Two: The people I typically meet at the tracks are usually some of the most obnoxious, know-it-all windbags I've ever seen, or they are completely clueless about what is going on around them. I've hung around the tracks for 25 years, I certainly know by now when a train is close-I don't need a narrator, or someone telling me how far their scanner can pick up, or where they last went train watching, etc. etc.
As far as why I don't just stay home, I like trains. I like seeing real trains. Wouldn't you agree seeing real trains is better than watching them on your TV. I also don't see a connection between socializing and "why don't you just stay home?". I want to watch trains, so what If I don't talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry around?
Now, as for Ellen: I am asking if anyone knows why the park is so important to her. If that's a criticism, so be it. She has taken it upon herself to provide something she "Thinks" everyone wants-well, I don't care one way or another. But lets face it-people go to Fostoria now, will the park make a difference whether anyone else goes or not? Is there anyone out there saying "Id go to Fostoria, but even though it's busy, since there's no park, forget it"? But I definitely will NOT sit in a park with kids, and dogs, and everything else going on there. I was going to the park, in my truck, not socializing, long before Ellen took it upon herself to do this. I will continue after it is there.
It's wonderful you have never felt uncomfortable in Durand-great. Never been there, so I don't know. But I don't think I would sit, all alone down at Columbus Avenue at 3am. I know people do, but that's their prerogative.
If you are more worried about socializing than the trains, why don't you just stay home on a forum rather than go watch trains?
I'm neither an "obnoxious, know-it-all windbag" or "completely clueless about what is going on around" me. People like that kind of annoy me too, but it doesn't mean I completely ignore them, seems kind of rude if you ask me. I don't go only to socialize either, I don't go up to strangers and try to strike up a conversation. I'm a huge railfan, have been for years, I've invested tons of money in the hobby (I just spent 200 bucks on a trip to Fostoria for example). Yes, like I said before I'm pretty shy, but I guess I'm not as antisocial as some people.
Last edited by TomCat4680 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote:
TomCat4680 wrote:Some people seem to nothing better to do but bash others. Unless what she's "doing" is illegal, I don't see how it concerns you.
It concerns me when she stalks people and follows them around and out of town, as she did to me and my wife and friend one time, for doing something she deems "wrong", when she did not know what was happening in the first place. Every time she is around me she opens her mouth and inserts her foot in it, and I make sure everyone knows about it.
If she's "stalking" you, call the police. Going on a forum complaining about her isn't going to solve anything, if she's not really a railfan like you say, she'll probably never see it, so it seems like a waste of time to me.

cr6903
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cr6903 »

For what it's worth, I'm not saying every person I've met has been a problem. There are many good people out there too. But i find the bad ones more often, it seems. And when approached, I try to be friendly, but I would rather be alone.
I am not "Bashing" Ellen, but I am curious where she came from. Kind of appeared out of nowhere. Anyway, the questions I posed to her were help see some aspects of the park that I did not know if she had thought out (upkeep, etc.). The park in Deshler (which I don't go to, either, I sit across the tracks-but that is a subject for another time) has some volunteers which take care of the place, but I don't know if Fostoria would be so lucky. I wouldn't want the park to turn into an unkempt lot.
If I wanted to "bash" Ellen, I could, but I'm trying to be civil. Her reputation has not been the best for the more serious guys.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

TomCat4680 wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:
It concerns me when she stalks people and follows them around and out of town, as she did to me and my wife and friend one time, for doing something she deems "wrong", when she did not know what was happening in the first place. Every time she is around me she opens her mouth and inserts her foot in it, and I make sure everyone knows about it.
If she's "stalking" you, call the police. Going on a forum complaining about her isn't going to solve anything, if she's not really a railfan like you say, she'll probably never see it, so it seems like a waste of time to me.
Who said I was trying to solve anything? You did not like us bashing her, I explaned why.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

cr6903 wrote:For what it's worth, I'm not saying every person I've met has been a problem. There are many good people out there too. But i find the bad ones more often, it seems. And when approached, I try to be friendly, but I would rather be alone.
I am not "Bashing" Ellen, but I am curious where she came from. Kind of appeared out of nowhere. Anyway, the questions I posed to her were help see some aspects of the park that I did not know if she had thought out (upkeep, etc.). The park in Deshler (which I don't go to, either, I sit across the tracks-but that is a subject for another time) has some volunteers which take care of the place, but I don't know if Fostoria would be so lucky. I wouldn't want the park to turn into an unkempt lot.
If I wanted to "bash" Ellen, I could, but I'm trying to be civil. Her reputation has not been the best for the more serious guys.
It already IS an unkempt lot. I tried to walk over to the B&O line, and there was nothing but pricker bushes, garbage, and jagged pieces of concrete. It can't get any worse than it is already.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote: Who said I was trying to solve anything? You did not like us bashing her, I explained why.
I should have stayed out of this. It was kind of rude to hijack my thread in the first place btw. If you don't like her, start your own.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

TomCat4680 wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote: Who said I was trying to solve anything? You did not like us bashing her, I explained why.
I should have stayed out of this. It was kind of rude to hijack my thread in the first place btw. If you don't like her, start your own.
Wow didnt know pepole owned threads. Tell you what, I wont post in YOUR threads, even if the answer is wrong, and I know better, as long as you dont post in any of MY threads.

TomCat4680
Railroadfan...fan

sd70accsxt700 wrote: Wow didnt know pepole owned threads. Tell you what, I wont post in YOUR threads, even if the answer is wrong, and I know better, as long as you dont post in any of MY threads.
Post all you want, just stay on topic. I don't care about this Ellen lady, I only met her once for a few minutes and I live out of state. You obviously have some issues with her, but I don't see what it has to do with me visiting Fostoria for the first time and asking a few questions.