Fostoria, Rail park is back on track

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Re: Fostoria, Rail park is back on track

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Ohiorailfan wrote: I don't railfan at night anywhere, to many crazy people and it's not worth it
I've spent multiple nights at Marion, Deshler, Oak Harbor, Sidney, Vermilion and Berea with no issues. Sure, the police may ask what you're doing but that's to be expected, of which I have no problem with.

The park in Deshler is private property. Unless they get called they're probably not going by. In all the times I've been in Deshler I've never seen the Deshler cop do a drive-by of the park.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Evan wrote:
Y@ wrote:Except for the C&O signals, Fostoria sucks. That's all.
Deshler> Fostoria.
Do you know why all the trees in North Baltimore lean to the east? Because Fostoria sucks and Deshler blows...

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Y@ wrote:There's a certain cop in Leipsic who is a total douche. He stands about 5 foot 8 but the badge makes him a whole foot taller. He's some kinda mexican with short hair. Average body size. Complete a-hole to railfans, no matter where you are he will hassle you. I think his last name is Lopez. Next time he comes at me, I'll be calling his department.
Oh yea I got a different guy, he was nice and understood what I was doing, he seemed to be used to railfans. Well out of all the years I've lived there and the hundreds of times I've been there I've never been bothered by this guy, guess I'll keep riding on my luck when I go tomorrow(today). But thanks for the heads up Ill keep an eye out for him.
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

Evan
Durand's Gingerbread Kid

Unread post by Evan »

Typhoon wrote:
Evan wrote:
Deshler> Fostoria.
Do you know why all the trees in North Baltimore lean to the east? Because Fostoria sucks and Deshler blows...
Either way, you still feel safer in Deshler, Whether it "blows" or not

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Typhoon wrote:
Evan wrote:
Deshler> Fostoria.
Plaster Creek in Grand Rapids, MI is THE best. :lol:
DT&I wrote:Plus the photo angle there are boring IMO.
Same couple of angles, which are the same as everybody else's. It does start to lack photogenic appeal after some time...even in Chesterton.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Y@ wrote:There's a certain cop in Leipsic who is a total douche. He stands about 5 foot 8 but the badge makes him a whole foot taller. He's some kinda mexican with short hair. Average body size. Complete a-hole to railfans, no matter where you are he will hassle you. I think his last name is Lopez. Next time he comes at me, I'll be calling his department.
If I remember correct, he used to be a Napoleon cop as well. If it is the same guy, he is a total douche. I have had countless run ins with him not involving railfanning. When Chiefs in Napoleon remodeled a few years ago they hung pictures of people around Napoleon along the wall up high, there is a picture of him on bike patrol.

EDIT: Not same guy, but sure sounded like him.
Last edited by AC60CW on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Evan wrote:
Typhoon wrote:
Evan wrote: Deshler> Fostoria.
Either way, you still feel safer in Deshler, Whether it "blows" or not
I have never felt unsafe at either location.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Fostoria is nice, I rather prefer Deshler for the wide open shots just outside of town all the way to Hamler or North Baltimore. If I wanted signal shots I'd follow the B&O south or north. Fostoria to me seems congested and trying to get thru town (such an example as with the 765 run thru this past summer) was almost impossible.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

TrainWatcher wrote:Fostoria to me seems congested and trying to get thru town (such an example as with the 765 run thru this past summer) was almost impossible.
Really? If you think Fostoria is bad, you shouldn't be going anywhere near Detroit, Toledo or any other city for that matter.
Bottom text.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

Y@ wrote:
TrainWatcher wrote:Fostoria to me seems congested and trying to get thru town (such an example as with the 765 run thru this past summer) was almost impossible.
Really? If you think Fostoria is bad, you shouldn't be going anywhere near Detroit, Toledo or any other city for that matter.
I think the same thing when people say that Fostoria is unsafe and full of crime.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Typhoon wrote:
Y@ wrote:
I think the same thing when people say that Fostoria is unsafe and full of crime.
The trains make Fostoria unsafe! A car could get hit while crossing the tracks! :twisted:

And the town is full of crime! All those foamers trespassing! :twisted:
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Typhoon wrote:I think the same thing when people say that Fostoria is unsafe and full of crime.
Fostoria has its problems, but you're right, it comes nowhere near Toledo or Detroit. It's just a dumpy town with a bunch of ass-backwards residents. Plenty of meth and cocaine if you're into that sort of thing.
Bottom text.

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

The last time I was overnight in Fostoria was in the Summer of 2008...and was my last. I hung out by the station overnight and while waiting for Q380 I saw a spot light coming from the neighborhood behind the MofW trucks. I then saw a shadow of someone one running from the spot light towards me where then 2 police cars cut around the station with lights and sirens trying to catch drug dealer that was running and yelling through our group. The suspect then cut behind the MofW trucks where the cops chased him over by the NS/ CSX Columbus Sub diamond.

Last summer I came back to Fostoria, but to the park's site and except for photos at sunset of Columbus Sub trains, the rest of the angles and lighting are frustrating. In addition, there were lots of thug-looking people randomly roaming around people's property and was not positive if they were going to confront me. I personally prefer Deshler over Fostoria not only for the neighborhoods, but the railroad action and photo spots. If I want to make a 2 hour drive to see CSX action, main line operations, and spend overnight at a park that I personally feel comfortable in, I will always choose Deshler over Fostoria. Plus, I like how Deshler has the scanner feed, grills, and the bonfire adds a nice touch.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Y@ wrote:
Typhoon wrote:I think the same thing when people say that Fostoria is unsafe and full of crime.
Fostoria has its problems, but you're right, it comes nowhere near Toledo or Detroit. It's just a dumpy town with a bunch of ass-backwards residents. Plenty of meth and cocaine if you're into that sort of thing.
I live in fostoria and i resemble that remark about the drugs. Iam not on any of that stuff as Iam not like that and never will be. Fostoria is not as bad as pepole think it is or what kind of rumors that every one and the brothers and sisiters may hear. But not every thing you read or hear is true. I have l lived here all my life and yes the town did have bad drug problems at one time. But for the most part thats been cleaned up. Also we are nothing at all like Detroit or Toledo. The things happeing in fostoria are peanuts compared to Toledo and Detroit.

CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Wow all the negative comments about fostoria and the soon to be rail park. Well I can say that the city haves been trying to get a rail park here in the last 15 years. And now it is looking like it will happen. I rail fan all the time and i have never had any problems with any one in fostoria while rail fanning. Also a freind of mine from Columbus haves been rail fanning fostoria sense 1977 and hes never had any problems while in fostoria and he spents 2 nights some times 3 in his car. Yes he haves had the police stop by and ask him if hes okay or ask him what hes doing. But the police have never told him he could not be where he is parked at. The crime in fostoria is really nothing bad. No murders robberys or any thing big. Just some drug stuff going on but not a whole lot of it these days as mosty of that was cleaned up from 2006-2009 when the Sheriff's Departments come in to help clean up things and drive out the rift raft.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

I too am fascinated by the "Fostoria is SO bad" comments. I've been there numerous times, with no issues from CSX/NS or the town folks.

I also tend to go when there is not an over abundance of other fans there such as during the week day, so perhaps I'm just not seeing what all the problems may be.

Excited to see how Fortoria can make this rail park work for them. If done correctly, it can be quite the nice attraction.

E @ CG
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

The part about crime in Fostoria is got me scratching my head too...You have an 80% percent chance of being shot at over in Delray, mugged and robbed railfanning Cicero near Chicago..100% percent chance of dying while railfanning the East side of Cleveland and a good chance of being hassled by homeless panhandlers if you ever railfan Scioto Tower in Columbus...I'd say the odds of being shot, assaulted, or mugged in Fotown is pretty slim.
Exit stage left

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Fostoria is fine, spend enough time in one place and you'll see shady stuff everywhere. Fostoria's crime rate is quite low, lower than Napoleon or Defiance the last time I looked. It is just a small industrial "city" that has seen advances pass it by just like other similar cities in Ohio, Indiana and Michigan. Muncie, Marion, Fostoria and Sandusky are all similar in this regard.

it doesn't do me much good anyway as I am not the type of railfan to linger anywhere aside from with friends at Deshler, but if it gives me a place to poop when I am running up and down the C&O shooting stuff then it is fine by me.

I don't have an issue with Ellen either, she is a lady who is passionate about something and doesn't have much in her life so she clings to this. Big deal, I hope most of you have a passion like that when you get to your golden years instead of just laying down to die. Yes she is eccentric but if you take the time to talk to her she is a nice lady, just weird. That is the definition of most railfans is it not? So smile wave, and simply take leave, don't be mean to her.

We can be mean to each other plenty online but let's be civil in person, unless you are Mike Fair, Tony Dannemiller or Brandon Townley then I will at the very least ignore you.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Brent:

Right on...you beat me to it...crime states for all of NW Ohio (even the rural hinterlands) are shocking when you dig into what's happening...in the past few months there have been two home invasions with murders in places that have been normally "leave you house unlocked" zones...tough times, tough actions.

E at CG
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

I have been train watching in Fostoria since 1992 and never had a problem, I used to stay at the Days Inn on the west side of town for years, they would give railfan discount's and a room facing the NS but i can not remember the name of it now. It changed hands i think in 2004, I haven't been to Fostoria since November of 2010 when i did 24 hours there. It must be different looking now without the platform and new home signals on the CSX at Columbus Ave. Iv got to get back down there soon.