Nickel Plate 901

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Nickel Plate 901

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Nickel Plate Historical society owns the right to the NKP. Cincinnati Railway was given permission by the historical society to use NKP marking on 901. Unit is still CNRY 85 on its Tag as they have not had a opportunity to change it.

Just want to clear this all up, the above info comes from people who have worked for CNRY & were apart of the restoration, NKP society members were present when 901 was painted. If you wont believe anyone but midlandsub than that your choice...... Not trying to be a jerk just want the correct info out there

Last post I will make on this

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

CSX_CO wrote:
Norm wrote:NKP reporting marks are now owned by NS. FWHS is Fort Wayne Historical Society. Technically, 765 would be FWHS 765.

Source: http://www.pwrr.org/rrm/rrmn.html
765 the steamer, is RPCX 765 in UMLER. That is what is on the 'blue card' and how its referred to when moving in the lead on a train. If you listen, they get "Manditory Directives" to the "RPCX 765".

Unless its a common carrier, reporting marks for a company don't end with anything other than a X. FURX, CEFX, MOBX, etc. That's why CSX's official Umler designation is CSXT.

Practice Safe CSX
I agree that not being a common carrier their designation should end in X. OTOH, the information I found lists RCPX as "Railway Passenger Car Numbering". Obviously, 765 is not a passenger car. X being the usual end for privately owned equipment, how does FWHS reporting marks fit into the picture?
Norm

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Norm wrote: I agree that not being a common carrier their designation should end in X. OTOH, the information I found lists RCPX as "Railway Passenger Car Numbering". Obviously, 765 is not a passenger car. X being the usual end for privately owned equipment, how does FWHS reporting marks fit into the picture?
RPCX is just a 'holding company'. If you own a car or piece of equipment, join their society, and they'll let you 'register' your equipment under their reporting marks. Your equipment needs to be registered for the Class I's to move it. Kills two birds with one stone.

Just because they say "Passenger Car numbering" doesn't just limit them to that. CEFX, HLCX, FURX, et al leases all sorts of things, including engines.
Norm wrote: X being the usual end for privately owned equipment, how does FWHS reporting marks fit into the picture?
I don't know how 'active' of a reporting mark that is. I did see something on the FWHS site that say "FWHSX 701" for their tool car.

Practice Safe CSX

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

Thanks for the explanation.
Norm

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

The NKP historical Society is not a railroad and as such cannot have anything other than an X at the name of the reporting marks they might have. This all just doesn't add up.