Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

WB CF&E train just leaving Elida at 9:10PM Had CFE 3886 leading and another CFE unit probably 3882 and grain cars plus covered hoppers that are probably for CSP in Van Wert. Could this maybe a LIVW?

Also, WB from outside of Delphos to the west

there was a train around 7-7-20PM this evening. Saw the lights from the engines across an open field.

2 trains in a little 2 hours WB somewhat unusual. 8)

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I saw at least one of the plastic hoppers CSP gets in Lima this morning so guess they will be here in VW soon.

Also yesterday was a grain train eastbound at 1:25pm with 2 CSX Gevos. I had to sleep for work so was unable to chase.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Those are nice pictures of CF&E 3316 and I&O 3317 on Flickr. Hope they get to the CF&E/I & O soon. Will be nice to have them on the lines. Thanks for the link midland. 8)

PW

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

So, I've never really done anything with the CF&E, and you guys seem to have a pretty good handle on it, so I'll pose you this question...

What times do the LIFW and FWLI usually run, how many cars do they usually have, and what locations do they switch in between Lima and Fort Wayne? I assume it's a fairly easy chase since track speed is 25 mph and Route 30 follows close by.
Bottom text.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Y@, they have been running late afternoon EB from Ft. Wayne to Lima. Scott aka{alittlevanwerty] and I live in Van Wert right in between FW and Lima. The return from LIma is almost usually under the cover of darkness. When the hours of daylight get longer will make it better. Tonight the return back to the Fort went through VW around 10:25PM. This seems to be somewhat regular FWLI times right now. As you know things can change.

As for industry traffic/moves: Van Wert has Continental Structural Plastics on the southside of VW, the Scott Equity elevator on the north side of the CF&E main.Usually service by the LIVW . The Van Wert Terminal gets covered hoppers for transload and also tank cars for the BIG tank located there. Bean oil yet I believe. Delphos has A Bunge plant in town. Also, outside of Delphos to the southwest is D&D Agri which gets covered hoppers when they need them. Convoy to the west of VW has the Mercer Landmark elevator and is service as needed.

If you have the time, Decatur, IN has a HUGE Bunge plant when busy has lots of grain cars and it also has tank cars for bean oil. Decatur is south of Fort Wayne. Just take 27 South out of FW to get there. Can't miss it when your getting close to Decatur. There is the CF&E Piqua Yard in FW and the Triple Crown is also right there. In Lima you have the CF&E Cole St. yard along SR 309. Plus, the added benefit of CSX, NS and the I&O if you get lucky. Even RJ Corman on the southside of Lima if you're real lucky. Scott can chime in with more.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Since August is seems all the LIVW runs are ran at night and I believe the same crew does the Delphos and LIPG run at night also. I am not to familiar with the Ft Wayne side. With the track being elevated I find it very difficult to fan. If you want to catch the FWLI I'd just park at the east end of the Piqua yard about 1 pm an wait. The FWLI is difficult to predict because one day it will come through VW at 3:10 pm and the next it will be 6:30 though more often than not it will pass between 3 and 4 pm. Thats when I'm picking my wife up from work so I miss the run often :?

Once the days are longer you might want to try catching the return run from Lima it generally come 4-5 hours later so I'd assume leaves lima 7-8pm. Plus waiting in a store parking lot is safe on your cars tires than the rubbish at Piqua. Just about any given morning you can find the day shift crew near Cole street switching and getting the cars ready to interchange with CSX. Lately Cole st. has been staffed with 2 locomotives so if they are not at Cole St they most likely are about to get back from a late/early LIPG. These are fun to catch because they will also have the I&O interchage in the train so I've filmed this train at 50-70 cars several times.

Right now I have no idea when CSX comes to pick up the interchange. It used to be between 10am and noon but I think it is later in the afternoon now. I believe that changed when they went to an afternoon FWLI.

Good luck and if your gonna chase and need a heads up that day let me know!

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

1/22/13. EB FWLI at 5:28PM. Leading long hood forward was 5597/IORY 4034 with 57 cars. Train was heavy on covered hoppers- 49: usual suspects CSYX, FURX, AEX, BNGX, DOWX, FMLX among others, 6 gons an 2 white tank cars.

PW

EJ&ESDM809
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EJ&ESDM809 »

G&W sure isn't wasting its time making its presence known on the CF&E, here is the first G&W painted unit on the property, a SD40T-2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fan-t/8428 ... cferailway
Robby Gragg - Proud fan of the EJ&E Railway

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

EJ&ESDM809 wrote:G&W sure isn't wasting its time making its presence known on the CF&E, here is the first G&W painted unit on the property, a SD40T-2. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fan-t/8428 ... cferailway
Not on the property yet, still at OC Morgan Run shops.

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

3316 left morgan run yesterday we were told all it needs is fuel water and a radio it will sure look good on its way to chicago as the 5597 is coming in for new wheels and some other work

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

lvc126 wrote:3316 left morgan run yesterday we were told all it needs is fuel water and a radio it will sure look good on its way to chicago as the 5597 is coming in for new wheels and some other work
Is it possible it may make it on Friday's FWLI?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Last I asked no one was sure where it was going first. Cincy to the I&O or put it on an empty grain train out of Columbus and via the Midland. I doubt it's coming via Lima.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I was on my was home from work this morning about 6:45am and spotted the LIVW was working in town, shoving empty hoppers back from CSP. I had hoped to catch them once it was light but I believe I heard them calling for their ride about 7am. The 6415 is currently idling by Eisenhower MFG with 6 empty plastics hoppers and 6 empty potash hoppers. Hope luck is on my side to catch them running later. Last time they left the LIVW in town, they picked it up with the FWLI in the afternoon so we shall see if that happens today. Still might be the 6415 on point as it is facing lima.
GTW 6415 CF&E LIVW by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
GTW 6415 CF&E LIVW by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well the FWLI came through VW about 4:05pm. It did not pick up the LIVW like I had thought it might. I filmed it in Middle Point and chased to Delphos. There I set up by the Bunge for another awesome shot but the cut the power off the train and started to pull some cars off the siding. It was too cold to keep waiting so back home I went. :?
NREX 5597 TP&W 4056 on the CF&E FWLI by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CFE tunnel motor heading to the I&O tonight. Could be in Lima in the next day or two via the I&O.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Hope its weds or thurs. I'm off those days but tonights run and fridays run I will miss.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Its going to the I&O today. Should be on Wednesday's LSL.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CSX didn't have a crew to take it to Haynes on Tuesday. Should be Wednesday morning. Which would probably put it not coming north until Thursday.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well today I caught them running a pair of CSX 6 axle GE's light from the east. They ran a short LIFW(?) through Van Wert at 11:20 am but I was getting ready for a nap. We did catch them bringing in the loaded Bunge grain set at Lima about 5:40pm, regular FWLI traffic at the end. Video later...

Maybe we will head down and meet the LSL on its run back north tomorrow... crossing fingers it won't be a wild goose chase!