IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by midland sub »

The WCH-B ended up taking just 18 cars to Springfield this afternoon. 4 pig iron loads, 11 P&G loads and 2 empty CN cars and an empty TSBY cov hopper with the 5003/4071.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

A few more notes from Saturday. The WCH-B met the LSL at Tremont @ Springfield for the DT&I swap- back in Wash CH in a quick 4 hours. An extra Springfield crew brought down a loaded Heritage Co-op grain train with 9400-500? shortly after.

Heritage Co-op is building a new track at West Liberty to allow them to load 65 cars at a time. Rails are coming from part of the old NYC siding @ Glen Echo north of Springfield. This will allow them to load 90 car unit trains with 25 dropped off at Urbana for loading. This should give Heritage 4 locations able to load 90 car trains: West Liberty-Urbana, Mechanicsburg, Kenton and Upper Sandusky.

midland sub wrote:The WCH-B ended up taking just 18 cars to Springfield this afternoon. 4 pig iron loads, 11 P&G loads and 2 empty CN cars and an empty TSBY cov hopper with the 5003/4071.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Was in Springfield today and the autoracks that were parked in the stub track in Junction Yard for a brief period time were gone when i by after school around noonish. When the crew chirped in on the scanner, i found out where they were headed. Engineer told the dispatcher that they had 8000 feet to take to Urbana on the 5003 and they had to wait on another train.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The WCH-B took up another cut of those NOKL autoracks to Springfield late Monday morning with 4071/5003. 8000 ft should be around 60 of those former NS bi-levels. I'm going to assume they used the 5003 to lead the cars north with CBNS 5002 on the rear. Once to West Liberty the 5003 would be cut off an then the 5002 would shove the cars at least clear of the room needed to take a grain train into West Liberty.

The B Job returned with the 4071-9400-5004 and 28 cars. 15 Cargill hoppers of corn on the Valero shuttle, 4 loaded NS coil cars and the rest empty P&G tanks.

redside20

Midland Sub, were those coil cars "DT&I" traffic just passing through on the way to Cincy?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Indeed they were, should have been from the steel place in Ottawa. Also, there were a couple CSX coil cars sitiing at Fayne that day.

redside20 wrote:Midland Sub, were those coil cars "DT&I" traffic just passing through on the way to Cincy?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Indeed they were, should have been from the steel place in Ottawa. Also, there were a couple CSX coil cars sitiing at Fayne that day.
Any idea how often the steel place in Ottawa is switched? Is the new plastics spur in Ottawa in use yet?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CG Tower took a few pics of them switching the new plastic customer back in the fall. Maybe he'll share them for you. Not sure about the steel place.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:CG Tower took a few pics of them switching the new plastic customer back in the fall. Maybe he'll share them for you. Not sure about the steel place.
Thanks midland sub

They put that spur in for the plastics place quickly. In MI it takes months or years (or so it seems :? to go from planning to building a spur. IIRC the one in Ottawa had funds approved during the summer and it was installed by fall.

Reason I ask about the steel place is someone said it does not get switched often. But that could mean different things to different people. To me that indicates monthly or less service. Yet, it seems I have read about cars for it more than a few times so I am thinking perhaps it gets switched more than monthly.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

The place that processes steel in Ottawa is Steel Technologies
http://www.steeltechnologies.com/
Exit stage left

redside20

Saw the cut of cars brought up today by the WCH job in Springfield. Have no idea what brought them in from WCH but appeared to be a cut of about 30-40 cars mostly gons, tankers, a few hoppers of something stretched from Leffel Lane to Possum Run Road. Also heard 4082 doing something on the scanner but i had to get home
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Should have been closer to 80 cars they took to Springfield on Monday- maybe even bigger than that. There was around 60 cars sitting @ Konrad all weekend for Springfield- 7 autoracks, 30 or pig iron loads, handful of other cars and the rest P&G tanks. They ran a Norwood Turn on Saturday night that brought up 5 more autoracks and 20 or so more P&G tanks. Should have been NREX 5678-4071-5004 on the WCH-B.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I wish business on the north segment was as good as the south end. Although there have been zero updates since loco_engineer stopped posting :(

redside20

AARR wrote:I wish business on the north segment was as good as the south end. Although there have been zero updates since loco_engineer stopped posting :(
While a few posters like MaumeeValley Railfan have joined up from that end, they posted a few heads up or sightings and then quit posting much to the chagrin of viewers on this board. And according to one poster (i won't mention his name) said they quit posting because of the negativity they receive from other posters. I don't know how true this is or if that issue is relevant as to why they don't post. I think Loco doesn't post because some higher ups at RA or Fortress might be watching the site so discretion could be an issue. Either way i really don't want to get into it. The bottom line is, i too would like to see more north end posts of I&O sightings
Exit stage left

redside20

According to a source on the I&O yahoo group, NREX 5597 is being sent to the CF&E to help out with "increasing business". Also i don't know what the 4056 is or where it is going to but that was mentioned and that's what the 5597 was replacing. So the 4056 is going somewhere else
Last edited by redside20 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="redside20"]According to a source on the I&O yahoo group, NREX 5597 is being sent to the CF&E to help out with "increasing business". Also i don't what the 4056 is or where it is going to but that was mentioned and that's what the 5597 was replacing. So the 4056 is going somewhere else[/quote]

I read the post & TPW 4056 is staying on the CF&E it is just not going to be on the Chicago turn with CEFX 9362 with 5597 going up to replace it on the turn

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Railfans are fickle things and once the CN bridge and autorack traffic started to fade away and the NYSW SD70Ms became boring, it seems most of the interest on the north end went with it. There's far more interesting in bland ole northwest Ohio to see and follow. Other than the pig iron to Delta, there's really not much traffic to get excited about. There's really not much to get excited about on the south end- this topic generates about 10 or so looks a post.... Maybe the Leipsic project will generate some traffic for the I&O (most @ RA now think it won't).

As for why some won't post, there's not a train board/group/site with a couple of trolls that drive others off to lurking status.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Pig iron traffic is going to slack off while the Ohio River is at flood stage in Cincy. Dock is closed until the water goes down, so whats on the ground is all that's going to move for the time being.

redside20

midland sub wrote:Railfans are fickle things and once the CN bridge and autorack traffic started to fade away and the NYSW SD70Ms became boring, it seems most of the interest on the north end went with it. There's far more interesting in bland ole northwest Ohio to see and follow. Other than the pig iron to Delta, there's really not much traffic to get excited about. There's really not much to get excited about on the south end- this topic generates about 10 or so looks a post.... Maybe the Leipsic project will generate some traffic for the I&O (most @ RA now think it won't).

As for why some won't post, there's not a train board/group/site with a couple of trolls that drive others off to lurking status.
Midland Sub i do realize that the DT&I traffic and motive power isn't as glamorous as it used to be but at least there are trains still running. I do realize that things are dim but new traffic at Ottawa and possible sources at St Paris and Leipsic offer a glimmer of hope to an otherwise dull railroad line.
Last edited by redside20 on Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:this topic generates about 10 or so looks a post.
But they are 10 High Quality looks :D