West Dayton Business Expanding

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: West Dayton Business Expanding

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Good to hear Appleton Papers is still producing something.

AARR I'm not around the plant much anymore. I can't recall ever seeing any inbound coal for them in the past twenty years. Not saying they didn't receive coal during that time.
Went by Thursday and again Sunday. Lots of trucks, no rail cars that I could see either time.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 937TrainFan »

Within the last month or so, It seems they've changed both input of stock paper and output of coated paper strictly to trucks. They still get tanks on an as needed basis for the thermal coating operation though.

Appleton is now Appvion. They changed their name a few days ago. They were supposed to merge with a larger paper firm, but I guess it fell through.

I'll keep a close eye on it and I'll holler if I see any box cars in the main bay.

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

On a side note, Heidelburg Beer Distributors is now in the old Cooper Tire building. There is rail access on the south side of the building, connecting to the NS Dayton District at south Moraine Yard. No word on if they'll use rail as a method of getting in beer from different companies, my guess would be no, but I've been wrong with this kind of stuff before.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

937TrainFan wrote:On a side note, Heidelburg Beer Distributors is now in the old Cooper Tire building. There is rail access on the south side of the building, connecting to the NS Dayton District at south Moraine Yard. No word on if they'll use rail as a method of getting in beer from different companies, my guess would be no, but I've been wrong with this kind of stuff before.
Unfortunately I am not aware of any beer company that still ships in box cars. Everyone I know of tore out their loading dock tracks. Amazing when you consider the average box car carries 2-3x what a truck carries.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

937TrainFan
Railroadfan...fan

At least the option is there. I know Heidelberg is trying to get into the Beer/Wine making business and not just the distribution, so maybe there is some potential.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I think the track over to the old Cooper Tire warehouse has a funky old diamond in the old Frigidaire property.