Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

No work today! :D :D :D :D :D

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Hey bnsf8000, hope you saw the train that came through about 2:30. 4034/3898 had another cut of those storage boxcars heading to Lima. At least 75. Caught them over in Middle Point.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Yes I did! Can't wait to see your vid/pics! IORY 4034/MNAR 3898 and 85 cars if I counted right. :roll: 67 box cars: IANR and GNRR, 11 HMJX ballast hoppers?, 2 gons, 1 loaded steel flat, 1 MTY bulkhead flat, 1 FBOX box car, 1 CCBX covered hopper and was it 1 coil gon with the yellow hoods?

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Well now that I am back from our weekend outing I can post the video. We went through Lima later in the evening (Friday) but could not tell where the boxcars were going to be sent.

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

There was a grain train parked under I-75 about an hour ago as I was on my way home. Not sure on which way it was going.
Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

StupidFlee​t wrote:There was a grain train parked under I-75 about an hour ago as I was on my way home. Not sure on which way it was going.
It was loaded at Lima Cargill and is headed to Crestline. The big question is when? If they move it about 4:30 this afternoon I'll be chasing but last time it left about 2 pm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:What a coincidence, the train crew got here same time I did. The chase begins!
Go after them vanwerty! :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

We filmed them starting off, then passing P&G, Layfayette, Ada and finally Dunkirk where they crossed the CSX diamond. Then the rain and lack of daylight ended our chase. Hope to have it up tomorrow...

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:We filmed them starting off, then passing P&G
That will be an interesting view. Considering how many rail cars P&G gets I'm assuming its huge.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

3/19/13. Leaving Van Wert at 1PM is the LIVW. In charge was SCRF 6412 with 10 cars. Took back to Lima 2 ACFX covered hoppers from CSP and had 8 covered hoppers from it looks like the Van Wert terminal transload: 6 FMLX and 1 each of GACX and TGSX.

There are as of today 6 tank cars for bean oil at the VW Terminal and 11 covered hoppers used in the soda ash transload operation.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Great job on the RJ Corman vanwerty! Nice to see the pics/videos of the line. Thanks for taking the time. :D

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

bnsf8000 wrote:Great job on the RJ Corman vanwerty! Nice to see the pics/videos of the line. Thanks for taking the time. :D

PW
Thanks! More coming ... Another Corman vid, a lifw and a grain train being pulled out of the Lima Cargill plant. Don't know how to paste from my phone so gotta work first :cry:

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Thursday I got lucky and saw a CF&E crew getting a pair of CSX locos ready to pull a grain train out of the Cargill Plant in Lima. I heard it was 92 cars. It was a good opportunity to film some modern power next to the old Alco switcher! Brrr sure was cold, I stood out there for almost 2 hours filming this. After moving the locos in the conductor had to walk and inspect all the cars. After getting the first 25 coupled they had to wait for the LIFW to leave. They were going to pull out onto the track it was on so I was able to get both jobs. Some really nice horn action on 7633 and a freindly crew! Enjoy!

CF&E grain train at Lima Ohio Cargill with CSX locomotives by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr
CF&E grain train at Lima Ohio Cargill with CSX locomotives by alittlevanwerty, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Railfanning is a lot like fishing...lots of time of boredom with a few very exciting moments. You certainly had a very exciting moment vanwerty! Not sure I could have withstood the freezing cold for two hours like you did though :shock:

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

alittlevanwerty wrote:We filmed them starting off, then passing P&G, Layfayette, Ada and finally Dunkirk where they crossed the CSX diamond. Then the rain and lack of daylight ended our chase. Hope to have it up tomorrow...
There was a grainer from Lima the other night during the week that did not stop in Crestline, but rather turned the corner up the Big 4 and then turned onto the Newcastle Sub at Greenwich. Interesting.
Brett

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Lot's of weird grain routing this year with last year's drought. Grain trains got quiet on the I&O for about three weeks and really picked up again about a week or so ago. Just 65 car trains though. Cargill on the I&O @ Bloomingburg used to send unit trains once or twice a year to someplace in New York state. I think it was soybeans.

lvc126
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by lvc126 »

5597 went in for a 90 day inspection and got a bath only thing was the steam cleaner blew the primer paint off in sheets revealing the cp rail scheme under it.Hoping it goes for repaint so no sense spending alot of time and money on it. Its been needed to chicago alot as they are still working bugs out of the 3316.