NS Peavine talk

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: NS Peavine talk

Unread post by Saturnalia »

image.jpg
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by heypal6878 »

Yes I think the Peavine is but not the east section of the track to Vera. There is no way NS wants that part of the track opened again. Bike path maybe but the State is stretched for money so don't think that will happen anytime soon.

My buddy works for NS an IT guy who travels for them. He hasn't heard anything about the Peavine as of the last two weeks. Looks like NS is going to pour in more money at the Belleview Yard and work on logistics. Wait times up there are far to long and this needs to be addressed.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Muleskinner »

Hey, I think the state & (Ohio department of transportation) will purchase the east section and use a small portion of the right-of-way for the I-74 expansion. They have already started on the so called by-pass (Ohio veterans memorial hwy, st. rt. 823) around Portsmouth which eventually will become interstate 74. They will probably extend it west to where route 32 bends north east where the peavine goes under 32.
We could be talking as much as 10 years from now, but it is a possibility.
Here is an animated video of the "by-pass" they are putting in....

https://youtu.be/8E05btrM-Ic

Bellevue_Guy
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bellevue_Guy »

Muleskinner wrote:They have already started on the so called by-pass (Ohio veterans memorial hwy, st. rt. 823) around Portsmouth

Here is an animated video of the "by-pass" they are putting in....
https://youtu.be/8E05btrM-Ic
Why are you describing it as a "so-called" bypass? It will work very well as a bypass for north-south traffic, which is what it's being built for. It will also complete the final segment of the Appalachian Development Highway System corridor B.

heypal6878 wrote: Belleview
Are you deliberately spelling this wrong?

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

This is very possible and most likely will be what the State will go after as that is what they have always wanted to do with the 32 connection. For areas out east this will change the landscape for the better bringing more development out that way, more business and eventually more homes. A bike path is not what the State of Ohio wants with that property and expansion for roads yes. Great link their Mullskinner! Very interesting and I hope that is what the State will do with that section of the Peavine.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Bellevue_Guy wrote:Why are you describing it as a "so-called" bypass? It will work very well as a bypass for north-south traffic, which is what it's being built for. It will also complete the final segment of the Appalachian Development Highway System corridor B.
I say that because eventually it will become an interstate highway linking east to west and will probably not be considered a by-pass by then.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I think you have a valid point and I'm sure the State of Ohio is looking at this as well. The land is there and with the Peavine being phased out east this would be what it needed to make the move.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Reading the business news today and now it appears that CP wants to merge with CSX again but still would like the deal done with NS. CSX has said NO yet again and NS has moved on yet CP is still wanting some kind of merger. It appears there is more to the story here and maybe CSX and NS know more that the press has in writing.

CP is very desperate appear to have some money for a merger but maybe CP is in back yard trouble. Maybe they need either NS or CSX to stay afloat. Looking deeper CP has major issues up north I kind of feel that if CP doesn't get a merger in the next two years they may themselves be bought by another railroad.

What Is you feeling on this?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

heypal6878 wrote:Reading the business news today and now it appears that CP wants to merge with CSX again but still would like the deal done with NS. CSX has said NO yet again and NS has moved on yet CP is still wanting some kind of merger. It appears there is more to the story here and maybe CSX and NS know more that the press has in writing.

CP is very desperate appear to have some money for a merger but maybe CP is in back yard trouble. Maybe they need either NS or CSX to stay afloat. Looking deeper CP has major issues up north I kind of feel that if CP doesn't get a merger in the next two years they may themselves be bought by another railroad.

What Is you feeling on this?
How is this relevant to this thread? There are already threads about the proposed merger(s) if you wanna discuss this.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by northstar16 »

I agree Heypal lets keeps focused here discuss the Peavine, mergers are on another thread. I see some new railroad ties have been dropped off at Clare in the past few days. Not sure if the CCET is picking them up to send out east or if they are going to be used to shore up the tracks on the east side of Clare on the side tracks.

Question are all the railroad signal lights turned off on the Peavine all the way past Afton? I would think so but really haven't paid any attention. My dad told me years ago that Clare had a Railroad turntable. Is that true? Not sure where that would be located in the yard. Looks little tight for such of thing.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Signals were bagged and turned off years ago

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

If you go to historicaerials.com it looks like there was a turntable in the 1956 view of yard. Look just across from the tower where the Peavine comes over. It's gone in the 1960 view

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Interesting you are correct there appears to be one there so he was correct. Thanks for the info!

Paw95
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Paw95 »

The day it comes to rip the rails up I'd like to buy some signals off of them if that's possible.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

Paw95 wrote:The day it comes to rip the rails up I'd like to buy some signals off of them if that's possible.
Ditto.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

Muleskinner why would NS just keep the pole signals up if they are covered up? I mean would it make sense just to take them down and apart sell them off if they are not being used? Surely they will never operate again on the Peavine. At least they can get something for them before vandals start shooting out their glass like they have down up east. As far as crossing lights could they be used elsewhere gates if any are left out east of the rail that is not being used? Signs all that stuff is just sitting there waiting to be plucked by vandals if or when it is time.

northstar16
Railroadfan...fan

Let me know when they start selling off merchandise. I'm in for sure. My buddy got the name plate on the old restaurant down a Clare and the Pepsi sign before they knocked it down in the 80s.

Muleskinner
Railroadfan...fan

heypal6878 wrote:Muleskinner why would NS just keep the pole signals up if they are covered up? .
Well, my thinking is, they covered them up when they first closed the line not knowing if the line would be used again for freight. Obvious not now but back then they didn't know. Now it's just a matter of time.

heypal6878
Railroadfan...fan

I'm sure up east the signals can be salvaged...maybe. Many of the lights have been shot out on the pole lights however the railroad crossing lights look fine for the most part. Gates are still in place in many areas and the railroads signs are still in place. They could be sold off If NS wanted to for sure. Crossing lights they may keep. Most of the steel boxes have been vandalized nothing left in them the milepost are still there. From Seaman west everything is for the most part still there and the line is being run three days a week going up that way and back west.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

NS will leave up the signals from Plum Run to Clare as there's no reason to waste the manpower or expense to remove them. They will never be used again but they aren't an issue staying up either. As for Plum Run to Vera whoever wins the bid to scrap the line will take care of removing them. Supposedly NS doesn't plan on removing the rail themselves and will include it as part of the bid to scrap the line.