Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 3

Unread post by midland sub »

You guys realize CSX just can't start running trains over the CFE unless one of two things happen. One they terminate the lease and pay G&W the magic buyout number plus a current value of track structure RA had to pay for the line. Two and the more likely scenario is you see what was brought up months ago supposedly inside CSX was to set up an agreement with G&W to move X number of trains over the CFE using CFE crews. CFE would have to hire and retain X number of crews for these trains and they would be whatever trains CSX felt were better to routed via the CFE that day- i.e. could be anything and everything. CSX did the same thing short term with I&O waaaay back in 2008 for 6 weeks. This would be a longer term project obviously with CSX paying a flat fee for X number of trains whether they ran or not. CSX might want the relief valve of the CFE but sure has heck doesn't want the local traffic hassle...

Either way NS trackage rights aren't going anywhere unless CSX-NS come up with an agreement to end them which we know won't happen.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Let me throw this out. Could that have been a CSX grain train using NS power? Reason I ask is that grain traffic on the CFE is pretty much under the control of CSX marketing according to the conditions of the lease. Unless it's moving via CFE-I&O it has to move via CSX interchange or there's a surcharge CSX gets per car that's anywhere from $600 to $900 something a car. So unless something has radically changed (which is possible), was it just a random set of NS power that ended up on CSX and a grain train? See NS power on CSX grain trains for the I&O from time to time.

alittlevanwerty wrote: It was a Bunge grain train, 2 NS LHF( same set that went to Ftw last night) per Facebook report. NS seems to have stole the Bunge traffic from CSX. NS will pick them up and set them out at Colsan siding. As far as NS is concerned they run as unit trains but once the CF&E gets them they are divided between Delphos and Decatur.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

midland sub wrote:Let me throw this out. Could that have been a CSX grain train using NS power? Reason I ask is that grain traffic on the CFE is pretty much under the control of CSX marketing according to the conditions of the lease. Unless it's moving via CFE-I&O it has to move via CSX interchange or there's a surcharge CSX gets per car that's anywhere from $600 to $900 something a car. So unless something has radically changed (which is possible), was it just a random set of NS power that ended up on CSX and a grain train? See NS power on CSX grain trains for the I&O from time to time.

alittlevanwerty wrote: It was a Bunge grain train, 2 NS LHF( same set that went to Ftw last night) per Facebook report. NS seems to have stole the Bunge traffic from CSX. NS will pick them up and set them out at Colsan siding. As far as NS is concerned they run as unit trains but once the CF&E gets them they are divided between Delphos and Decatur.
I don't know. I do know these trains go in the siding at EAST COLSAN, run the power around, and then come back and run either north to Bellevue or south the other way, on NS. I had a 58V do this one day at COLSAN, only 58V came down from Bellevue, ran power around, then west on the CFE.
Brett

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Their NS bound trains. They come either as lite power from Ft Wayne and pick up loads for Colsan or or empty set are picked up and forwarded to Bunge and return loaded. The CF&E grainer on New Year's Eve was a NS bound train despite having a Citirail and a CSX locomtive. How do I know?? I asked.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Very interesting. Glad you asked about it.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

1/12/15. EB CF&E LIFW at 6:30AM through Van Wert. Leading were CFE 3886/3023 with 78 cars. Consisted of 57 gons upfront plus 6 more: CSX, CO, MLMX among others, 9 grain cars: GACX, ALHX? among others, 4 tank cars, 1 IHB coil car and 1 centerbeam lumber load.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Multiple reports of a NS 16E taking the CF&E from Tolleston Indiana today, should hit ohio well after dark but this will be the first NS run through to take the whole route.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by nictd1000 »

16e has NS 8974/8837 for power, tagged along from Valparaiso to Plymouth.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

Today's 16E has NS 8940/2764/7506. Not yet by tolleston

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

midland sub wrote:You guys realize CSX just can't start running trains over the CFE unless one of two things happen. One they terminate the lease and pay G&W the magic buyout number plus a current value of track structure RA had to pay for the line. Two and the more likely scenario is you see what was brought up months ago supposedly inside CSX was to set up an agreement with G&W to move X number of trains over the CFE using CFE crews. CFE would have to hire and retain X number of crews for these trains and they would be whatever trains CSX felt were better to routed via the CFE that day- i.e. could be anything and everything. CSX did the same thing short term with I&O waaaay back in 2008 for 6 weeks. This would be a longer term project obviously with CSX paying a flat fee for X number of trains whether they ran or not. CSX might want the relief valve of the CFE but sure has heck doesn't want the local traffic hassle...

Either way NS trackage rights aren't going anywhere unless CSX-NS come up with an agreement to end them which we know won't happen.
This is far too logical and makes way too much sense.

Reason... What a concept. These aren't silly paper railroads. If they were, the AnP would control everything anyway.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Can I ask if NS is running these 16E and 19A trains daily? It'd be cool to see when I am out this weekend.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Not daily.
Bottom text.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

There's been a 16E on the west end of the PRR everyday since Monday. Todays train, 16E-16 is once again at County. They tied down there with a car in consist with B/O brake problems. NS mech and a recrew were both en route an hour ago. Unknown power on this train.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:Not daily.
About 4 times a week for 19A and daily for 16E since that started. Don't need your know it all comments here.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

Ok let's just calm down here. It's only been a week, plenty of time to figure out operating schedules.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

alittlevanwerty wrote:
About 4 times a week for 19A and daily for 16E since that started. Don't need your know it all comments here.

What know it all comment would that be? That they have not been daily? That is totally accurate in my view... unless we consider 4 days ago when 16e started running as gospel.

nictd1000
Railroadfan...fan

16E-17 on the IHB in Hammond, IN with NS 6792/7506. 10:04am et

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MagnumForce wrote:
alittlevanwerty wrote:

What know it all comment would that be? That they have not been daily? That is totally accurate in my view... unless we consider 4 days ago when 16e started running as gospel.
Until they skip a day that's every day... if you want to be completely 100% right. And even worse... it's 6 days not 4, first report of one was 1-12.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Typhoon wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:NS does maintenance and NS dispatches it. I'm not sure why NS needs to pay anyone since at merger time they were granted trackage rights for so many trains.
Trackage rights are not free. The NS pays someone to run those trains.
Just so we're clear, you don't know the answer either? (Regarding trackage rights agreements/fees/etc.). Thanks.
Brett