IORY South End Part 4

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part 4

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

I caught 5002 switching plastipac today and the vid will be up eventually.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

That is quite the lengthy LNL, did they build up the train from the past couple of days and run today or is this an everyday occurrence?
Exit stage left

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Not sure, actually that is only the second time I've seen I&O head north.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Allright midland/I&O South threaders. Questions. Since the I&O North thread is on vacation I've got some questions for you. If they've been answered before I apologize. On alittlevanwerty's video of the LNL are the IHB coil cars from the CF&E? Are they going to Delta? Also, are the CN box cars from the CF&E? Or are the coil cars and CN box cars coming up the I&O? Those CN and IHB coil cars sure like the ones on the CF&E LIFW back and forth. Do the CN box cars come from clear up on the end of the I&O and maybe CN? Also, where do the lumber loads come from on the I&O heading south? TIA

PW

redside20

bnsf8000 wrote:Allright midland/I&O South threaders. Questions. Since the I&O North thread is on vacation I've got some questions for you. If they've been answered before I apologize. On alittlevanwerty's video of the LNL are the IHB coil cars from the CF&E? Are they going to Delta? Also, are the CN box cars from the CF&E? Or are the coil cars and CN box cars coming up the I&O? Those CN and IHB coil cars sure like the ones on the CF&E LIFW back and forth. Do the CN box cars come from clear up on the end of the I&O and maybe CN? Also, where do the lumber loads come from on the I&O heading south? TIA

PW
They coil cars could be going to Steel Technologies in Ottawa or Fulton County Processing near Delta. The Lumber is probably going to Tri State Forest Products or to customers in Washington Court or on the Mason Sub
Exit stage left

Loco_Engr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Loco_Engr »

IHB coils are most likely for Steel Tech in Ottawa. The CN boxcars would most likely be empties going back to Flat Rock...maybe from Essex on the CF&E. Any of the NOKL coil cars you see would be just pool cars for whoever needs them, whether Fulton County Processing, NorthStar, etc.

FWIW, that's probably the Delta Switcher crew running north. I can tell it's most likely a certain engineer because he felt he needed to have the bell on for half an hour before he got to the crossing. :roll:

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Loco_Engr wrote:FWIW, that's probably the Delta Switcher crew running north. I can tell it's most likely a certain engineer because he felt he needed to have the bell on for half an hour before he got to the crossing. :roll:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh safety first, gotta make noise in case uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh anyone's on the bridge.
Bottom text.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

CN boxcars and centerbeams that come south of Springfield end up going to Cincy. I believe the lumber place on the Mason Sub is now closed so anything going to Cincy goes to the Oasis Sub and Cincy Barge & Rail. Lowes in Wash CH almost never gets anything in a CN boxcar, almost all the centerbeam loads still come from CSX in Cincy, but the return empty routing can go to CN and Flat Rock. CSX doesn't want the empites going back into Cincy.

Thanks for sharing the videos.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I was going to say the switch is probably bad on the bell and won't shut off or come back on......

I&Ofan4life
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by I&Ofan4life »

I didn't know the I&O got 5002 running last time I saw it was in the dead line at Norwood with blowen crankshaft.
Cincinnati South Eastern Railway. The Route Of The Dixielander

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

They have been using it pretty regularly in Lima, I catch it about every time I railfan Lima the past 2 months or more.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

5002 was repaired late 2010 or so. RA bought a couple used EMD 645 motors and one went in it and the other in the 5007. Worked around the Midland and Springfield before heading over to the Logan Sub for about a year. Got swapped with the 5004 back in April.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Made a quick stop by McCoullugh Yard today, saw IORY 4084, CSCD 6637, IORY 4070, & GMRY 30(not LTEX anymore). GMRY 30 is now sporting full "Great Miami" lettering on the long hood & GM logo on the noses, as well as the gold stripe re-applied separating the marroon & black and its looking great!

Also saw the decrept IORY 5006 by the shop mostly now Rust with green & black visible, wonder how much longer it will be around......

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

That's great to hear they reapplied the Great Miami lettering to #30! That way it will stay looking nice until the time it gets repainted into it's NKP scheme.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Took a quick peek at the yard @ Konrad on the way to the Red's game Sunday afternoon. 9500-5678-4072 were sitting at the north end of the yard by the crew office. Not much in the yard other than Domtar cars and a few tank cars of wax for Candle-Lite on the Greendfield Sub.

Set of CSX CW40-8s were sitting in Wash CH by the old B&O depot. One was a former Conrail unit that still has it's red marker lights.

Balfour Beatty is done with the tie work on the old B&O in Wash CH. They will be replacing the Court St crossing in town this week so the tamper and regulator will finish up once it's replaced. The rest of the track equipment was sitting in Jeffersonville. They are supposed to do Jeffersonville to Konrad I believe this week.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I&O has borrowed a set of CSX GE widecabs to help out on the grain and ethanol trains on the south end. They should have them for another week or so. Someone must be a Conrail fan as the marker lights are usually on the former Conrail unit.

Google has also updated their satellite map views. You can see where the ballast was spread from Konrad into Wash CH for the last track project a couple of weeks ago. Interesting from above it looks like they spread a lot more than they actually did.... :roll:

GWI has applied with the STB to fast forward the approval process on the RA deal. They want it done by the end of December. Trackage rights in Columbus are supposed to be figured out by January so the I&O-Ohio Central will be able to interchange with one another. Might have been a dumb move pulling up half of the Grove City siding a couple of years ago...

Supposedly GWI will be giving back more control back to each line's management and marketing. Might allow some more traffic to be grown on each line.

I&Ofan4life
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by I&Ofan4life »

Is the Mason Sub down to one customer?
Thanks I&Ofan4life
Cincinnati South Eastern Railway. The Route Of The Dixielander

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I believe they still have four active customers- though just not sure how active they are. Three are at the south end of the line near the Western Row Rd grade crossing. Graham Packing receives inbound plastic pellets. They share the spur into the now closed lumber dealer. Portion Pac is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuff. Tri-State Ingredients is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuf. Just north of Western Row Rd is the closed International Paper container plant. They were the biggest customer on the line, but it was shut down in Dec. 2008.

Contract Lumber off of SR 741 probably still gets an occasional centerbeam of lumber. There's one showing in the Google Maps sat. view. Not sure the last time Suburban Oil got an inbound tank car, quite a few years I believe. The Cincinnati Railway uses the I&O's engine house there. The warehouse/factory across from the engine house has a two track spur that the Cincinnati Railway uses to store their passenger cars from time to time.

Crane Plastics built a second track for their Mason plant and planned on making some of their Timber Tech brand decking at the Mason plant. They got an ORDC grant for the track, but never opened the plant up for use.

Trupointe still has a spur in Lebanon, but I fairly certain the last inbound car they got was in 2006 or 2007.

redside20

midland sub wrote:I believe they still have four active customers- though just not sure how active they are. Three are at the south end of the line near the Western Row Rd grade crossing. Graham Packing receives inbound plastic pellets. They share the spur into the now closed lumber dealer. Portion Pac is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuff. Tri-State Ingredients is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuf. Just north of Western Row Rd is the closed International Paper container plant. They were the biggest customer on the line, but it was shut down in Dec. 2008.

Contract Lumber off of SR 741 probably still gets an occasional centerbeam of lumber. There's one showing in the Google Maps sat. view. Not sure the last time Suburban Oil got an inbound tank car, quite a few years I believe. The Cincinnati Railway uses the I&O's engine house there. The warehouse/factory across from the engine house has a two track spur that the Cincinnati Railway uses to store their passenger cars from time to time.

Crane Plastics built a second track for their Mason plant and planned on making some of their Timber Tech brand decking at the Mason plant. They got an ORDC grant for the track, but never opened the plant up for use.

Trupointe still has a spur in Lebanon, but I fairly certain the last inbound car they got was in 2006 or 2007.
I thought Blackhawk Plastics was a large customer too, but if they got more traffic than IP is anyones guess
Exit stage left