Super long CN trains.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Super long CN trains.

Unread post by bctrainfan »

Maybe saying "units" instead of "cars" would settle this debate, MQT.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Units=locomotives

Just say platforms, problems solved, good lord you people are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. Honestly, what a stupid argument anyway.
Last edited by MagnumForce on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

bctrainfan wrote:Maybe saying "units" instead of "cars" would settle this debate, MQT.
But I'm not debating anything! :|

All I said was that when I count "cars" for my railfanning purposes I count the way I do, and when asked I stated why I do it. At the same time stating that I know that it is indeed contrary to the way most if not all railroads do it. So I'm not arguing against or debating anything. Just stating the way I log stuff.

So I'm not sure where any confusing or thinking that I'm debating or arguing with anybody in this thread came from...
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

When I record trains I always record the # of cars by individual units. This is not to say the other methods of counting them are wrong, I just preferr this method of counting and logging. I have a 101 page book this year that I have created with data, charts, and I formation on every train I've seen this year, as well as pictures of them. I've seen just over 620 this year! I usually count the number of cars on the trains I see, as i am a statistically oriented individual, with a strong desire of numbers.
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

StupidFlee​t
Chinese Foooood

Unread post by StupidFlee​t »

Flickr

(23:10:05) MagnumForce: All precautions were taken

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MQT3001 wrote: So I'm not sure where any confusing or thinking that I'm debating or arguing with anybody in this thread came from...
Maybe because you're always trying to debate or argue with people, typically those who know far more about what the things you're debating/arguing. Then, when you're wrong, you twist it back into your own little "well, what I meant was" or "no, you misinterpreted my statement" kind of game. And quite frankly it's annoying, stupid, childish, and unnecessary. Someday (hopefully) you'll grow up and realize what a stupid front you're putting up, and maybe you'll grow out of your boy genius phase. I have my doubts, but time will tell.
Bottom text.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

MQT loves arguments because his goal is getting his post count up viewtopic.php?f=30&t=13333&start=1100. We're enabling him to succeed :lol:

The main reason I count each car separately and don't differentiate is because its very difficult for me to separate couplers/drawbars/etc. on a typical 40+mph train.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

AARR wrote:The main reason I count each car separately and don't differentiate is because its very difficult for me to separate couplers/drawbars/etc. on a typical 40+mph train.
Ta Da! The reason for the "discussion' has finally come to light.

I wanted to bring this up after Typhoon's question of why railfans count cars/platforms/spines etc. differently.

It has been far more interesting to follow the endless bickering and belittling that has occurred in the meantime.

Drive through......

MagnumForce
Angry Man

So again, you count platforms and not cars.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

You cannot count very many platforms without moving....

From Wikipeida:
"A railway platform is a section of pathway, alongside rail tracks at a railway station, metro station or tram stop, at which passengers may board or alight from trains or trams. "

From the CSX dictionary
"Rail Freight Car
A car designed to carry freight or non-passenger personnel by rail and includes: box car, flat car, gondola car, hopper car, tank car, and occupied caboose."

MIght be able to count Joint Modular Intermodal Platforms though...
http://www.seabox.com/catdl/sb5/SBJMIP/SBJMIP.pdf

I can't say that I have ever seen one of the latter, but I could have used a couple a few years back.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

Ya'll sound silly arguing. The whole measurement issue in this thread was originally about length of train in feet more than number of cars or what the definition of what counts as a car is lol. This thread has officially derailed.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Uh, "platform" is generally understood as a spot to place a container or trailer be it a spine car, flat car or well car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=freight ... +platforms

So I suppose all those mentions are wrong because there is no definition that includes that on Wikipedia?

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

I'll bet that this Super long CN thread will end up going to the Super long irrevelant threads in a short period of time. So MQT can continue to get his jollies off trying to decipher an intermodal well platform from an actual railcar...
Last edited by redside20 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Yawn.... Magnum and Mr Tops have the best arguments. Everyone else is just an awful person.

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

It isn't just MQT that blows threads out of proportion, it takes at least 2 to tango sorta speak.

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

JStryker722 wrote:Ya'll sound silly arguing. The whole measurement issue in this thread was originally about length of train in feet more than number of cars or what the definition of what counts as a car is lol. This thread has officially derailed.
This is the Quebec of thread derailments
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Toppysager wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:Ya'll sound silly arguing. The whole measurement issue in this thread was originally about length of train in feet more than number of cars or what the definition of what counts as a car is lol. This thread has officially derailed.
This is the Quebec of thread derailments
Amen brother

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

pass
Last edited by redside20 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

redside20 wrote:MQT should also know that when the entire consist in a train lacks any trailer or container on any platforms which is called baretables..
What does that have to do with any of this?
Bottom text.

Norm
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Norm »

What does this thread have to do with anything other than sniping?
Norm