Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by JStryker722 »

CSX_CO wrote:
JStryker722 wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:The INER definitely talks to someone on the radio that knows where everyone is and everyone is going and where meets are even going to occur... at least two members here are employed by the INER.
Hmm I wonder what all that means by " non-scheduled non-dispatched railroad" means then? I'm so lost it's not even funny.
<Disclaimer I don't know the individual referenced, so this is in no way an attack on them> Gee...a manager who doesn't know whats going on? You. Don't. Say.

Non-scheduled probably means they don't have set days to go to certain locations. They go where the customers need service on a particular day. Other railroads will negotiate 2,3,4,5,6, or 7 day a week service. The more 'guaranteed' days of service, the more someone may have to pay.

Insofar as the 'non-dispatched' perhaps that is in reference to them not using track warrants or something like that.

Practice Safe CSX
That's got to be it cuz the IN operating manager said they operate without using track warrants which is why they don't operate as fast as FRA Class 2 track allows to be about to stop in 1/2 distance within range of vision in case more than one train is operating in the same area. Thanks for helping me figure out what all of that terminalogy means CSX_CO.
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

JStryker722
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JStryker722 »

MagnumForce wrote:
AARR wrote:
MagnumForce wrote:The INER definitely talks to someone on the radio that knows where everyone is and everyone is going and where meets are even going to occur... at least two members here are employed by the INER.
Since ND&W belongs to Pioneer(?) is there a centralized dispatcher like what G&W does?
I believe everything goes to the office in Peoria and out to the ND&W but this is done via email or a phone call at the office in Defiance, I don't know if I would call it a dispatcher.
Wouldn't that be what a business service planner would do on a bigger railroad?
My Wife says my first love is trains..anint that the truth! Lol :D

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

I think you are way to hung up on terminology, different places are going to call the same thing, different things. The only thing that matters is what the actual function is.

Coke, Soda, Pop, all the same thing depending on where you are in the country.

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Is the capital of Kentucky pronounced Lou-E-ville or Lou-A-ville ?
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

MagnumForce
Angry Man

New Orleans or Nawlens?

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

MagnumForce wrote:
AARR wrote:
Since ND&W belongs to Pioneer(?) is there a centralized dispatcher like what G&W does?
I believe everything goes to the office in Peoria and out to the ND&W but this is done via email or a phone call at the office in Defiance, I don't know if I would call it a dispatcher.
No, Pioneer does not have a official dispatcher anywhere. (Dispatchers = regulatory burden, FRA has very specific regs about dispatchers and what they can and can't do, plus they have hours of service like train service does) The railroads with multiple crews on duty at once (KJRy, ND&W, etc.) have the General Manager as de facto dispatcher, but officially Pioneer does not have any dispatchers and doesn't want them.

Corporate office handles wheel reports, paperwork, and what amounts to track warrants (one could argue that the system is "Block Register Territory") via email and fax. If crews have a problem, they have to stop the train and make a phone call; radio systems are not very useful except to reach other crews. Most of the time all the corporate office knows is when the crew was called, and where they are going.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

AC60CW wrote:Is the capital of Kentucky pronounced Lou-E-ville or Lou-A-ville ?

It's pronounce Frank-fert.

But that other city is actually prononuced Lewllvull by those that live there.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Marquette, at least until recently, used a computer system crews entered their information into for all tracks but the yard limits. Yard limits exist everywhere trains are bound to meet (think Baldwin). Trainmaster or whoever checks in from time to time, but otherwise they're on their own from what I understand. Crews do call towns like CSX calls signals. "Z151 north, clear Sparta, Z151 out".

Feel free to correct me...but that is how I remember it.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

So it's a run around track ? Would a run around have derails ? On a side note the rail bed is firm today on the ND&W !

Bulby
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Bulby »

Notch 8 wrote:So it's a run around track ? Would a run around have derails ? On a side note the rail bed is firm today on the ND&W !
It is a siding.

Per the ND&W rule book's section on derails; other than within yard limits, any customer track or siding that might have equipment tied down should have fixed derails (does not apply in yards) , with the ones on customer track being locked in derailing position unless the crew is switching the industry and the derails on the siding generally locked in the non-derailing position unless siding is occupied by unattended equipment.
Apparently I work on GEs now...

AC60CW
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AC60CW »

Jetlink Driver wrote:
AC60CW wrote:Is the capital of Kentucky pronounced Lou-E-ville or Lou-A-ville ?

It's pronounce Frank-fert.

But that other city is actually prononuced Lewllvull by those that live there.
Was wondering if someone would actually catch that.
Avatar image use with permission of Elmo Bass http://elmo.rrpicturearchives.net/

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I spent my childhood listening to my Father belittle dozens of unsuspecting know-it-alls with that line of questioning.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

MagnumForce
Angry Man

A family history of topping?

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Is the railroad able to access Cecil via Defiance? Or do they have to come via Woodburn? This may have been mentioned before.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

bluestreak81 wrote:Is the railroad able to access Cecil via Defiance? Or do they have to come via Woodburn? This may have been mentioned before.
Yes, they can access Cecil via Defiance. The speculation is some traffic for Napoleon might start coming in at Woodburn instead of Defiance. We'll see.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

They've been running between Defiance and Cecil somewhat frequently from what I can tell.

FWIW, I don't believe they've gone to Napoleon yet this week. Doesn't look like they've come across any of the rural crossings between Okie and Napoleon since the snowstorm.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

AARR wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Is the railroad able to access Cecil via Defiance? Or do they have to come via Woodburn? This may have been mentioned before.
Yes, they can access Cecil via Defiance. The speculation is some traffic for Napoleon might start coming in at Woodburn instead of Defiance. We'll see.
I have video proof that it (loaded boxcars from Woodburn) has but I've been too busy with the new baby to get it uploaded. Soon enough.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Y@ wrote:They've been running between Defiance and Cecil somewhat frequently from what I can tell.

FWIW, I don't believe they've gone to Napoleon yet this week. Doesn't look like they've come across any of the rural crossings between Okie and Napoleon since the snowstorm.
They have definitely been east of Domersville Road.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Well they definitely haven't been through Okie.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Interesting