IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by midland sub »

I'm pretty sure the 5000 has been out of service for about a month or so since the failed attempt to move 140 plus cars from the west end of the CIND. Traction motor or some other problem with the 5000....

It was a Tunnel motor Saturday on the Norwood Turn. They added the 4070 to the 4071-4072 @ Oakley on Friday night. For whatever reason- I think late cars from CSX- the Norwood Turn tied up @ Oakley Saturday morning. The WCH-B crew got the taxi ride to Cincy to bring it back. 5 plus hours later they dropped the Midland cars and 4070 @ Konrad for the WCH-A to sort out while they headed north to Springfield. After a long and winding trip across southeast Ohio and catching a grand total of one moving train, we headed out to Fayne to catch the A and B jobs meet up at the end of their day. Here's a link to the pics at Trainorders

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... ?2,2421468

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

Midland Sub, I live near the Alkire Road viaduct and have noticed the viaduct is being torn up. I don't know how the grain, ethanol, and potash trains will get to Haynes. Will they have to be rerouted somewhere else?
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Redside they seem to think the line will be out of service for around 2 weeks. Just depends on how the weather turns out. Grain traffic is supposed to wait it out. Ethanol traffic will go to Cincy- its billed that way anyway.

Should be 40 plus cars of pig iron that went north today. 4071-4085+4070-3887 brought the Norwood Turn back.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

WCH-B took 32 cars to Springfield on Saturday with 4071-3889-4070. 14 NOKL coil cars for Fulton County @ Delta. They swapped the 4071 for NREX 5678 @ Springfield and returned with 37 cars. They added those to 40 Midland cars for Cincy on Saturday Night's Norwood Turn.

WCH-A used 4085-3884 to spot an empty ethanol train @ Valero.

Melvin Stone traffic is moving again. The Blan Job picked up 8 empty MELX cars @ Fayne on Friday.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Did they finish the work on the Alkire Road overpass already? I saw a grain train heading down the Midland tonight around 8:30pm coming off the Dayton District.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Last I heard it's going to be a couple of months before they are far enough into the project to shut the line down for the new bridge to go in.

Speaking of track work. The City of Greenfield is holding a hi-rail inspection of the Greenfield Sub from Greenfield to Leesburg for bids on the trestle and tie project. Johnson Controls in Greenfield wants to start using rail again by the first week of May.
strugglin wrote:Did they finish the work on the Alkire Road overpass already? I saw a grain train heading down the Midland tonight around 8:30pm coming off the Dayton District.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

midland sub wrote:Last I heard it's going to be a couple of months before they are far enough into the project to shut the line down for the new bridge to go in.
Oh, that makes sense then, so they are working on the bridge, but the line is still in service. I saw the grain train heading west on the Dayton District from 670, so I rushed out to Hague Road to catch it there thinking it was an NS train. Then when I got there and it no showed, I realized it had to have gone down the Midland Sub, but there's no way to see that from the freeway.

redside20

Just got home from school a little bit ago and have some I&O tidbits to share from my scanner. 4071 was heard getting permission to occupy track from MP 190 (Maitland) to MP 134 which is Lima I presume. Heard something about a CFE locomotive which has been the 3887, doing duties on the Springfield job. Saw what appeared to be the tail end of a train idling at Junction Yard and what were presumed to be plastic centerflow or grain hoppers, but i was in my car at the Leffel Lane crossing and could only get a quick glimpse down that way.
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

9400-4072-4082 worked Thursday night's Wash CH Turn. Continues to be more traffic than they can move most days. Melvin is loading stone for Decoursey and RA is using Melvin's MELX cars for ballast for the CIND. Brush cutter is back working around Wash CH.

redside20

To Midland Sub and others curious about the derelict north end of the I&0. I don't know how valid the source i talked to is but i talked to him on Fostoria live cam and he told me he lived near Ottawa. We got to talking about I&O north end customers and he told me that traffic for Silgan has been very steady and he told me that Verhoff Alfalfa has been getting cars in the last few weeks. To back his facts up i hope that anyone on here can confirm that Verhoff has in fact been getting traffic.
Last edited by redside20 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:...he told me that Verhoff Alfalfa has been getting cars in the last few weeks.
This would be really cool 8) as if my info is accurate, and I suspect it is :wink: they have not received cars in several years :)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Might also be some of those storage boxcars being staged there for the time being. The IANR marked carsare going to Flat Rock for CN.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

redside20 wrote:To Midland Sub and others curious about the derelict north end of the I&0. I don't know how valid the source i talked to is but i talked to him on Fostoria live cam and he told me he lived near Ottawa. We got to talking about I&O north end customers and he told me that traffic for Silgan has been very steady and he told me that Verhoff Alfalfa has been getting cars in the last few weeks. To back his facts up i hope that anyone on here can confirm that Verhoff has in fact been getting traffic.
Verhoff has not been getting cars lately. The last time they got cars was fall 2010, but those cars never ended up getting loaded. Before that, it had been several years since they got any.
Bottom text.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

Not really the season for Verhoff to be loading alfalfa pellets yet anyways. The alfalfa gets cut throughout the summer. I don't know if last years product would have the "shelf life" to last till this time of year in bulk storage to be loaded into rail cars. (I'll have to check into it) Also keep in mind that Verhoff has two processing facilities (Ottawa & New Bavaria OH) and in years past has loaded covered hoppers at Holgate (on the remnant of the B&O/NKP interchange track). The "facility" there is quite simple - a tractor and an auger. It is possible that pellets from both are loaded at Holgate.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

MSchwiebert wrote:Not really the season for Verhoff to be loading alfalfa pellets yet anyways. The alfalfa gets cut throughout the summer. I don't know if last years product would have the "shelf life" to last till this time of year in bulk storage to be loaded into rail cars. (I'll have to check into it) Also keep in mind that Verhoff has two processing facilities (Ottawa & New Bavaria OH) and in years past has loaded covered hoppers at Holgate (on the remnant of the B&O/NKP interchange track). The "facility" there is quite simple - a tractor and an auger. It is possible that pellets from both are loaded at Holgate.
I haven't seen any cars being loaded at Holgate in a very long time. The last time I remember seeing anything on that spur was when they parked a Tamper and Ballast Regulator there last summer, and the occaisional bad-order car being set off there.
Bottom text.

redside20

I knew i was going to a variety of responses such as is the case here. I'll just have to take all comments into consideration and probably come to my own conclusion that best fits the scenario. I wish i lived closer to Ottawa so i could see everything for myself.
Exit stage left

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

redside20 wrote:I knew i was going to a variety of responses such as is the case here. I'll just have to take all comments into consideration and probably come to my own conclusion that best fits the scenario. I wish i lived closer to Ottawa so i could see everything for myself.
Unless I missed something everyone said no service at their Ottawa facility in years :?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

redside20

AARR wrote:
redside20 wrote:I knew i was going to a variety of responses such as is the case here. I'll just have to take all comments into consideration and probably come to my own conclusion that best fits the scenario. I wish i lived closer to Ottawa so i could see everything for myself.
Unless I missed something everyone said no service at their Ottawa facility in years :?
Yes..that is the general consensus....if there have been storage cars there i guess anything is possible
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Redside it could be something as simple as they're staging cars for Silgan on that track. 2 switching moves today can save 5 tomorrow. Did the guy happen to say whay kind of cars they were?

redside20

midland sub wrote:Redside it could be something as simple as they're staging cars for Silgan on that track. 2 switching moves today can save 5 tomorrow. Did the guy happen to say whay kind of cars they were?
Not sure what equipment was used to load out Alfalfa products but he said that were covered hoppers in the siding. probably for Silgan
Exit stage left