IORY South End Part 4

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End Part 4

Unread post by midland sub »

Google maps shows the place getting plastic pellets as Graham Packing. I assume that's the Blackhawk Plastics you are referring to. IP used to be a nice steady traffic source I'm told. Quite a few times I remember seeing the siding in Mason with a half dozen or more boxcars sitting there for IP. Shame that NS ownership of the former PRR Middletown Sec begins at I-75. There's three customers just west of there that would be great for the I&O.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

The Lumber facility north of stokes(mason engine house) is actually fairly busy, not sure how many cars but its more than a occasional customer(that info comes from a friend who works for the CNRY) Blackhawk is LONG GONE and has been gone from Mason for a couple years now, IORY uses that spur for spotting Centerbeams for the lumber yard across the main from Blackhawk. I have heard that Suburban Oil wants to start off loading 4-5 tank cars at a time... problem is the engine house spur is only big enough for 1 car to offload at a time..... & IORY/RailAmerica wont run a local up to mason just for suburban oil......

Wouldn't be surprised to see G&W sell off the Mason sub once they get ownership

CNRY is indeed using the engine house as IORY just kinda up & left there in 2007 , CNRY has repainted a passenger car or 2 as well as NKP/CNRY 901........ GMRY 783 & DTI 116 are currently in the Mason engine house, 116 should be headed to Lebanon in the next few weeks and it is also now riding on roller bearing trucks, but 783 will be there for a while getting restored

IORY_fan

[quote="midland sub"]I believe they still have four active customers- though just not sure how active they are. Three are at the south end of the line near the Western Row Rd grade crossing. Graham Packing receives inbound plastic pellets. They share the spur into the now closed lumber dealer. Portion Pac is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuff. Tri-State Ingredients is next and they receive inbound boxcars of food stuf. Just north of Western Row Rd is the closed International Paper container plant. They were the biggest customer on the line, but it was shut down in Dec. 2008.

Contract Lumber off of SR 741 probably still gets an occasional centerbeam of lumber. There's one showing in the Google Maps sat. view. Not sure the last time Suburban Oil got an inbound tank car, quite a few years I believe. The Cincinnati Railway uses the I&O's engine house there. The warehouse/factory across from the engine house has a two track spur that the Cincinnati Railway uses to store their passenger cars from time to time.

Crane Plastics built a second track for their Mason plant and planned on making some of their Timber Tech brand decking at the Mason plant. They got an ORDC grant for the track, but never opened the plant up for use.

Trupointe still has a spur in Lebanon, but I fairly certain the last inbound car they got was in 2006 or 2007.[/quote]
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The CNRY should buy the Mason Sub. Can't wait to see how the GWI-CNRY relationship works out...... Good thing Tom McOwen is on the ORDC board....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I thought Contract Lumber got more than an occasional car, but was told by someone their business had really fallen off the last couple of years. Which makes sense that Contract is fairly busy, as no one ever sees any of CB&R getting any centerbeams spotted on the Oasis Sub anymore. Wasn't it a centerbeam for Contract that got away and went rolling down the Mason Sub several years ago?

I talked to the owner of DT&I 116 on Saturday. He said something about possibly adding a couple of more seats to it for when they occasionly will use it for excursions. I'm glad it finally got new roller bearing trucks and was moved out of Norwood. It's a great caboose.

What are they going to use on the dinner train on the Oasis Sub for the shove move?

I&Ofan4life
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by I&Ofan4life »

I live not even 5 minutes from the south end of the Mason sub. I know I&O use to run a daily local south of Mason this was till the lumber yard and Paper company closed. I have heard from an I&O emploee that the Mason sub trains are based out of the NS middletown yard. The Mason sub has potential and it already has a number of industries, but I don't know of G&W will sell off my guess is probly not.
Cincinnati South Eastern Railway. The Route Of The Dixielander

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Well caught I&O today leaving Lima. Started filming at the CFE diamond and filmed them 6 times ending at the CSX diamond in Quincy. Southern Pacific 9400 and IORY 4071 pulling hard!
I&O Southern Pacific 9400 IORY 4071 tunnel motor 009 by van wert newbie, on Flickr
I&O Southern Pacific 9400 IORY 4071 tunnel motor 007 by van wert newbie, on Flickr

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for sharing! I counted 99 cars in the train. Not a bad size train. First 15 look like wheat loads heading to Keynes Bros on the Logan Sub. I would as many pics of the old SP and I&O SD units as possible, they aren't long for the I&O once the GWI takeover is complete.

I&Ofan4life
Railroadfan...fan

9400s numbers board is looking bad.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Last I knew the Mason Sub was worked by a crew out of the I&O's Norwood yard a couple of days a week. They run up the Dayton Dist as I&O 305(?) to Middletown. They work the line and figure out if they have enough time left to get back to Sharonville. If not they stop out by Traders World and another crew takes the train back to Norwood. IORY-fan will have to confirm this.

I&Ofan4life
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:Last I knew the Mason Sub was worked by a crew out of the I&O's Norwood yard a couple of days a week. They run up the Dayton Dist as I&O 305(?) to Middletown. They work the line and figure out if they have enough time left to get back to Sharonville. If not they stop out by Traders World and another crew takes the train back to Norwood. IORY-fan will have to confirm this.
Ok I thought NS did the sharonville to middletown run.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Before the Conrail split, Conrail and the I&O interchanged at either Reed yard in Middletown or just outside of Middletown. The I&O received trackage rights to access the Mason Sub from Sharonville from the Conrail split. Well you think they already had trackage rights over the Dayton Dist before the Conrail split when Railtex/I&O bought the DT&I north of Springfield. Two seperate agreements. How they worked the line between 1999 and 2007, I believe they left an engine on the line for the most part and interchanged with NS @ Reed in Middletown. 2007 is when management decided they had too many locos and cut the fleet way down.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Nice vids of the LSL. Like seeing the I&O in action.

Midland, about how many tank cars for P&G are brought up the I&O on averafge in a week. Just a guess. Thanks.

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think it's supposed to be around 10 to 15 cars a day moving back forth between Cincy and Lima. Probably doesn't average out to that though depending on stuff moves. The video had quite a few, and then there's days it's probably a handful. Just depends on how many they get from P&G in Cincy and then if they have enough power to drag up to Lima.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:I think it's supposed to be around 10 to 15 cars a day moving back forth between Cincy and Lima. Probably doesn't average out to that though depending on stuff moves. The video had quite a few, and then there's days it's probably a handful. Just depends on how many they get from P&G in Cincy and then if they have enough power to drag up to Lima.
I think someone added the P&G tank cars move 6 days per week. There was also something said about another plant east of the one in Lima that would shuttle cars back and forth between the Lima plant.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

Here in Jackson Center.

Still on more coming, the Quincy diamond crossing. My computer crashed while I was at work last night or it would be done :oops:

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I just checked the CFE thread and that guy said it's 6 days a week to P&G and is supposed to average 10 to 15 cars a day.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The Central Ohio Logistics Center aka Bluegrass Farms intermodal facility is expected to be up and running this fall according to BGF owner David Martin. Martin held the annual Fayette County Farm Bureau meeting at his BGF warehouse on Tuesday evening. BGF has a large contract with the South Korean gov't to supply non-GMO soybeans. BGF built has built two additional 500,000 bushel storage bins for the processing warehouse. Last update was the containers will be unloaded at Cincy Barge & Rail on the Oasis Sub.

http://www.recordherald.com/main.asp?Se ... M=41421.85

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

One thing I enjoy about many of the RA lines is the operate fairly long trains on jointed rail at slower speeds so I can catch all the sights and sounds. I dont even mind the wind in the background that many of the vidoe mic's pick up 8)
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...