TLEW News?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Re: TLEW News?

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Are there written/printed facts to back up these assumptions about Midwest?

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

CSX_CO wrote:
Jetlink Driver wrote:
bluestreak81 wrote:Who fixed the culvert that collapsed over a decade ago?
The culvert was fixed becauseisaidso.
I thought I heard it was fixed by the same people who then fell under the scrutiny of the Ohio Attorney General's Office and FRA?

Practice Safe CSX

The culvert was torn apart then put back together on a weekend so that there could be no inspectors around to see that the job was done by the amateurs at Midwest Rail. If you go back now the culvert is collapsing in the center because it was not packed down properly and erosion is starting at the bottom around the replacement piping! Before the Museum ever operates a passenger train over the culvert it will need to be inspected and repaired properly. Since Midwest was not able to make a grain loading deal with the elevator in Providence, Midwest abandoned the culvert project anyways. Midwest has reported that they have no interest finishing the culvert for the museum and is really not interested in following through in helping the museum to ever run passenger trains anyways, they just wanted the line to store cars to line their pockets.

Everyone in the area is hoping the Attorney Generals Office will be finished with the Midwest Rail Disaster soon! Midwest is know as a bad neighbor to everyone along the line from Waterville to Grand Rapids!

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

I'm not disputing anything that anyone is saying. It just seems that nothing is documented publicly to prove it to those who are loyal fans of the railroad. I have only seen (pictures online, forums, etc.) that Midwest has done a lot to the railroad recently as far as weed control, culvert replacement, mechanically fixing 5109 to operating conditions, repainting 5109, tie replacement, etc. As someone who made annual trips on the Bluebird and donations while I attended college nearby in the early 2000's, I was excited to see so much recent improvement to the line since rides stopped a few years ago. I think anyone who has a keen interest in the Bluebird would also be excited when news spread about a lot of activity on the line in the last two years to fix it up. When I heard Midwest was fixing up the line, I became an instant supporter. I'm sure there's a lot of knowledge that isn't public about both sides. I, as well as anyone else who wants to see the line succeed and passenger rides to resume, I'm sure wants to support whoever can make this a reality once again. I'm sure there are/were good reasons why the museum signed a lease with Midwest. I hate to see the recent progress fade away. Is it possible for both sides to work things out?

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

bluestreak81 wrote: Is it possible for both sides to work things out?
No
Not that obvious

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

TLEW1 wrote:
The culvert was torn apart then put back together on a weekend so that there could be no inspectors around to see that the job was done by the amateurs at Midwest Rail. If you go back now the culvert is collapsing in the center because it was not packed down properly and erosion is starting at the bottom around the replacement piping! Before the Museum ever operates a passenger train over the culvert it will need to be inspected and repaired properly. Since Midwest was not able to make a grain loading deal with the elevator in Providence, Midwest abandoned the culvert project anyways. Midwest has reported that they have no interest finishing the culvert for the museum and is really not interested in following through in helping the museum to ever run passenger trains anyways....
That explains why I saw no stone where there should have been stone. County spec showed specific grade of stone, wet-tamped in 6 inch lifts, which definitely would take more than a weekend, even with a bunch of the "Do-dah Crew" helping. Spec also showed 60" ID pipe, what was put in looks like 60" OD pipe to me.
Not that obvious

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

Don't let the Midwest smoke screen of replacing every 4th tie for a couple of miles fool you, the roadbed is no better now then 2 years ago so those replacement ties will be junk in 5 years (Did a 1st class job using the museums best ties on the Waterville NS property though), unauthorized painting of the Museums Alco S4 5109 in C&O with the cheapest paint they could get donated using the museums name to obtain it, weed control by spraying a illegal mix of weed killer, chopping trees along the right of way with a large motorized spinning chopper leaving the debris on private property for the property owners to clean up along with damaging vehicles and buildings from flying tree branches, dug a hole installed a pipe and improperly filled it with dirt and called the culvert fixed and then never finished it. We as you call us the Do-Dah-Crew were mislead and lied to and taken advantage of also with our countless hours of free labor and funds out of many of our own pockets thinking we were helping the museum only to see Midwest profit from and operate the museums 5109 only on days to show off for Midwest friends and abusing our vintage engine by over working it to make them money and not paying the museum any money in almost 2 years for anything. Now that we have been told by Midwest that they have no intention or desire to see any passenger train ever run again on what they consider their line, they also stated if they (Midwest Rail) goes down they intend to take the museum down with them! Think about it, in the past 2 years how many times has the museum been included or asked by Midwest Rail to promote themselves using this equipment? That one is easy (0). That is because Midwest from the start had no intention of seeing the museum succeed or survive. After telling us members of the Do-Dah-Crew we were no longer needed by Midwest, The Facebook-Friends of the TLEW that was run by Midwest Rail was taken down-that is why you no longer see it on line! We the museum volunteers performed the free work, Midwest took all the credit and money! I ask where did the approx. $155,000.00 that the DEEX storage cars brought in last year go? If you want to support the TLEW Museum that is great but don't look at Midwest Rail as anyone's savior, Midwest is anything but!

You can now Donate directly to the Museum by going to TLEW.ORG this is the best way to show your support for our future operations including the Bluebird Passenger Train.
Last edited by TLEW1 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

Wow. Who woulda thunk it.....Oh wait, I know.
Not that obvious

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

BnOEngr wrote:Wow. Who woulda thunk it.....Oh wait, I know.
becauseisaidso?

Practice Safe CSX

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Is the museum currently able to operate on the tracks in Waterville? If not, can anything be done to resume access into Waterville?

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

bluestreak81 wrote:Is the museum currently able to operate on the tracks in Waterville? If not, can anything be done to resume access into Waterville?
Not into the depot area in town - The museum only owns from MP15 in Waterville to MP25 end of line in Grand Rapids. Everything else in Waterville is still owned by the NS. The museum was working with the NS to acquire the 1.8 miles still owned by NS at the time Midwest Rails went in and under minded all the museums hard work with fraudulent lies to obtain the 1.8 miles leased to them killing any chance for the museum to be able to finish the deal to acquire the NS trackage and depot area at that time so we would not be able to run passenger service back into town. NS no longer allows any passenger service outside of Amtrak on NS owned trackage.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

That doesn't sound encouraging about the no passenger trains on NS rails besides Amtrak. But, that does make sense to acquire the remaining trackage in Waterville to make it happen. I never understood why NS kept the Waterville portion. I doubt NS made much of a profit leasing just 1.8 miles all of these years. Is anyone able to maintain the depot during this time?

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

bluestreak81 wrote:That doesn't sound encouraging about the no passenger trains on NS rails besides Amtrak. But, that does make sense to acquire the remaining trackage in Waterville to make it happen. I never understood why NS kept the Waterville portion. I doubt NS made much of a profit leasing just 1.8 miles all of these years. Is anyone able to maintain the depot during this time?
The museum paid the NS $1.00 a day for the lease when we had it. The current lease to Midwest Rail by NS does not include the depot area just the mainline and siding track. NS is the sole maintainer of the depot and surrounding property. We do plan to run to MP15 in Waterville as soon as possible. If the NS trackage becomes available for purchase to the museum in the future we will jump on it asap.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Thank you for answering all of my questions TLEW1. I really want the line to succeed, and it seems like its passionate volunteers are the greatest asset it has in making that happen. Hopefully donations can continue to help resume passenger service in the near future.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Very sorry to hear the TLEW fall on such hard times. At $155,000, there could have been a lot of work done on the railroad, and maybe even extensive work done on the bridge at Grand Rapids and the ex-DTE 0-6-0 . Although, I also hate to hear about the 5109, I do think it does look good (atleast for the moment) in the C&O scheme.

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

TrainWatcher wrote:Very sorry to hear the TLEW fall on such hard times. At $155,000, there could have been a lot of work done on the railroad, and maybe even extensive work done on the bridge at Grand Rapids and the ex-DTE 0-6-0 . Although, I also hate to hear about the 5109, I do think it does look good (atleast for the moment) in the C&O scheme.
Not falling on hard times, Midwest Rail is just a annoying speed bump to the TLEW Railway museum at this time. Yes the 5109 does look good thanks to us volunteers, Our Alco S2 #62 when restored to RF&P #59 will look better! We have had many new members join this past year that are making a difference and the current board of trustees is the best we have had in years and are making things happen for the good of the museums future. I have learned that there are going to be many changes and exciting improvements this year at the museum which I have been told will be announced very soon on the TLEW.ORG website for all to see. I have been told the Bridge is high on the to do list. The 0-6-0 is not a priority at this time unless someone donates serious money specifically for a proper restoration. The TLEW Railway Museum is a strong and determined group of individuals dedicated to the success of the museums future. We always welcome anyone at the museum that would like to be a part or help us preserve railroad history. New Members or Donors are always welcome! TLEW.ORG

DT&I
Commodore Perry

Unread post by DT&I »

Why would anyone work without pay if someone is going to profit off of it?
I'm just here to put in time claims and complain

TLEW1
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TLEW1 »

DT&I wrote:Why would anyone work without pay if someone is going to profit off of it?
Young, Dumb and we were promised the world by the puppet master at Midwest Rail. They should have called their company Conrail but that name was already used.

Old Hogger
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Old Hogger »

TLEW1 wrote:
DT&I wrote:Why would anyone work without pay if someone is going to profit off of it?
Young, Dumb and we were promised the world by the puppet master at Midwest Rail. They should have called their company Conrail but that name was already used.
Midwest is the reason they can now run a train up to the bridge - line is cleared and fixed all the way. Midwest were the people that actually did the painting on the 5109 (along with necessary repairs). Major money coming into the organization from Midwest Rail. If excursion trains are ever going to run again, it will be through the hard work of the Midwest people.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

Did you read anything? No money has came in from Midwest and the line is still impassable at the culvert. You apologists... just wow....

BnOEngr
Captain Obvious

Unread post by BnOEngr »

That's gonna be one heck of a Kool Aid hangover....
Not that obvious