Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Re: Napoleon, Defiance and Western: The Definitive Thread

Unread post by railohio »

wagnew0923 wrote:Does the line make it all the way to Toledo?
No. I suggest getting one of these: http://www.railmaps.com/servlet/the-40/ ... %2C/Detail
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MagnumForce
Angry Man

Unread post by MagnumForce »

wagnew0923 wrote:I take it the traffic is typical short line stuff, with 30 car consist's moving slow and switching out locals. Does the line make it all the way to Toledo?

I also drove through a small town called Rudolph, I was wondering about the line that went through there. What was the name of the Railroad, when did it shut down, any pictures...etc

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it.

The line through Rudolph was the B&O Bowling Green Branch, split off the Toledo Sub at Tontogany and joined into the Willard Sub at North Baltimore. This is why there is no Northeast Connection in Deshler, the C&O to Fostoria largely took over its function.

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

wagnew0923 wrote:I take it the traffic is typical short line stuff, with 30 car consist's moving slow and switching out locals. Does the line make it all the way to Toledo?

I also drove through a small town called Rudolph, I was wondering about the line that went through there. What was the name of the Railroad, when did it shut down, any pictures...etc

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it.

Here is some history on the line you're referring to: http://www.abandonedrails.com/Tontogany ... _Baltimore

13 miles of the old line has been turned into a paved rail-trail from Tontogany to North Baltimore. There's a few small segments that veer off the original ROW. I used to bike this trail often when I attended college near there. There's a few rails left behind in the grass, an original whistle post in Rudolph, and most of the original bridges have been re-engineered for recreational traffic. The northern portion of the ROW (about 3 miles or less) has been reclaimed by property owners and was not turned into a trail. There was a sidewalk segment in Tontogany that you could still see the original rail crossing, but that may have been since paved over. There's a few signs along the rail-trail that point out historical aspects of the original railroad.

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

NS L91 just pulled 31 cars into New Haven, many from ND&W. A bunch of KCS boxcars, 3 cement loads, 2 borax hoppers and a pair of tanks. Also 2 POTX cars so does this mean Trupoint in Woodburn is receiving cars now?

bluestreak81
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bluestreak81 »

Any updates on the Route 24 crossing in Napoleon? PUCO was supposed to study the crossing to see if the removal of exemption status is warranted due to increased rail traffic by Pioneer.

http://m.wndh1031.com/articles/defiance ... -12228007/

bumthum
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bumthum »

I know this has probably been asked before but this thread is getting pretty long. What is going on in Liberty Center that has increased Pioneer's need to use that crossing? Is it just car storage or out reach to future customers? Do they have business lined up east of Napoleon already?

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Cars have been stored east of US 24 for awhile now. They've been pulling them out in cuts of 20-25 at a time. Possible business coming back online in LC and rumors of an entirely new customer coming online in the near future as well.
Bottom text.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

Surprised (and saddened) that it's been a month since the last update here. And please (you know who I'm talking to), no comments like "nothing has changed- trains move rail cars and occasionally derail".

Curious if more track work is going on this summer, is the cement place shipping out cement, there was talk of a new customer or two somewhere....Just curious!
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Still doing lots of track work. Also the railroad is trying to get approval for a transload facility on northeast side of Defiance. Not sure about cement business and nothing taking place that I am aware of on east end of line.

TC Man
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TC Man »

JoJames wrote:Still doing lots of track work. Also the railroad is trying to get approval for a transload facility on northeast side of Defiance. Not sure about cement business and nothing taking place that I am aware of on east end of line.
Thank you, much appreciated! I want to get down there before winter- seems like a neat unique operation to check out and check out the progress on the track with photos.
CEO of the Waving Institute- teaching great wave forms.

wildcatsa1fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by wildcatsa1fan »

Cement shipments are sporadic. We load a few then there will be a lag for a couple weeks then a few and another lag. Cement is going to PA for oil well use.

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

I was in Defiance last week and noticed that another Customer seems to have materialized. On the north side of the yard in Defiance I saw a person on top of a tank car and at 1st thought that they were cleaning tank cars like Pioneer does in White Pigeon MI, and after some conversation was informed that this is the 3rd car that has been loaded.

http://glycerin-glycerol.com/biodiesel-glycerin/
Attachments
IMG_5036.jpg
Fresh Paint
Fresh Paint
IMG_5025.jpg

60Tonner
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 60Tonner »

So where is it being produced?

60Tonner

Notch 8
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Notch 8 »

60Tonner wrote:So where is it being produced?

60Tonner
Glycerin Traders DBA Methanol Processors continues enhancing its production facilities at the new Defiance, Ohio facility. The methanol production line has been improved so that it can now operate at 50% greater capacity at up to 6 GPM. More reclaimed methanol loads are sold every week. With virgin methanol prices being $0.45/gallon higher than this time a year ago, reclaimed methanol is a perfect substitute at a lower price, allowing for greater profits for biodiesel producers.

Additionally, the glycerin stripping line is now operating at a capacity of 9,000 gallons per day, producing ~2 truckloads of 80% crude glycerin 24/7. We are currently seeking wet methanol and crude glycerin, so if you have names and contact information for sellers of either product, please send them to dennis.zeedyk@lee-enterprises.com or contact our office at 501.833.8511.

railohio
Photographer of Wires in America by Rail of Ohio & Wisconsin

Unread post by railohio »

So where is the "new Defiance, Ohio facility"?
"I shot the freight train / But I did not shoot the fantrip"

MagnumForce
Angry Man

railohio wrote:So where is the "new Defiance, Ohio facility"?

The biodiesel plant that blew up on Columbus Ave.

That knocked some pictures off my wall when that happened. The operation is very run down, it's 4 blocks from my house. They haven't mowed thew lawn in months I swear, not sure how they get away with that, if I go a couple weeks they would have a sign in my yard telling me I have to mow it or else.

http://www.glycerintraders.com/methanol_processor.html

Could have mowed thew weeds and grass for the pictures...

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

MagnumForce wrote:
railohio wrote:So where is the "new Defiance, Ohio facility"?

The biodiesel plant that blew up on Columbus Ave.

That knocked some pictures off my wall when that happened. The operation is very run down, it's 4 blocks from my house. They haven't mowed thew lawn in months I swear, not sure how they get away with that, if I go a couple weeks they would have a sign in my yard telling me I have to mow it or else.

http://www.glycerintraders.com/methanol_processor.html

Could have mowed thew weeds and grass for the pictures...
Whats with the ND&W map at the bottom of their home page?
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

MagnumForce
Angry Man

From as awful as they keep their property I don't think website design is high on their list of anything. I never see anyone even at the facility, if they have more than a couple "employees" I would be amazed.

MagnumForce
Angry Man

New Paint and new sign on the Office/ Old Wabash Station in town.

Imagenew digs by Brent Kneebush, on Flickr