IORY South End Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

IORY South End Part 2

Unread post by midland sub »

The original thread is getting a bit long in the "tooth" so I started a new thread for the ramblings of the IORY south of Lima I guess.

There's a new operating procedure for the IORY (at least south of Lima) and CIND for at least the time being during the "dog days" of summer. When temperatures reach 90 degrees or more a 10 mph slow order goes into effect. The ISRR-INRD coal train derailment and a MMRR grain train derailment (didn't see it on the Michigan section?) in the past 10 days were being blamed on the heat and poor track conditions. I haven't heard if this is a RA policy or just Super Ryan of the IORY-CIND being a bit ahead of the curve. They don't want to put the 2 big money makers- new Civics on the CIND or ethanol on the Midland- on the ground.

CIND 5007 and NREX 5678 unfortunately continue to be the WCH local power. CFE 3884 and PIR 2342 are now both on the Logan Sub. No real reason for the 2342 to be there other than to help out when needed.

Honda should be making a very interesting announcement on plans for the Greensburg plant in the next week or so. It should be a lot easier to catch the Honda trains on the CIND after this announcement.

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: IORY South End Part 2

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:...and a MMRR grain train derailment (didn't see it on the Michigan section?)

Honda should be making a very interesting announcement on plans for the Greensburg plant in the next week or so. It should be a lot easier to catch the Honda trains on the CIND after this announcement.
I haven't heard of derailments on the MMRR. Even though i understand the reasons why I still think it's rather impressive that one GP38 can pull a 65 car unit grain train eastbound on the Alma Sub.

Last I read 35-40 cars per week were pulled from the new Honda plant with most of the cars being interchanged with NS.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Where do they actually keep the engines on the Logan Sub when they are not in use? Are they in Lancaster or do they actually keep put them inside that shed down in Logan?

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Honda is loading 100 plus cars a week at this point. Honda's up coming announcement should make that number grow rather substantially. :D

The IORY figured out with the 4083 that one loco can't move a grain train around the wye tracks in WCH on the Midland. It only took replacing two sections of rail with burn spots one week and a derailment the second.....

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They usually are sitting at the crew shack at the Collins Rd grade crossing just north of Lancaster. The Anchor warehouse and box plant spur are also at Collins Rd.

There's nothing down at Logan other than a couple of old passenger cars and a caboose or two.

redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

Unread post by redside20 »

midland sub wrote:They usually are sitting at the crew shack at the Collins Rd grade crossing just north of Lancaster. The Anchor warehouse and box plant spur are also at Collins Rd.

There's nothing down at Logan other than a couple of old passenger cars and a caboose or two.

heck..theres a whole collection of items just rusting away in that whole junkpile along 33 at South Logan
Exit stage left

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

midland sub wrote:Honda is loading 100 plus cars a week at this point. Honda's up coming announcement should make that number grow rather substantially. :D
8) Honda continues to make a good reasonably priced product so despite the aggressive strong-arm tactics to get people to buy Ford / GM Honda contnues to be a best seller.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

PIR 2342 was reported at the B&O Southwest Yahoo group to be at the old I&O engine house in Logan last week. I caught CFE 3884 sitting at the Lancaster crew office on Collins Rd Monday afternoon. The 3884 faces north (west) for anyone that cares. They finally did some brush cutting on the Anchor warehouse spur last week- you can actually see where the track goes..

IORY 4072 replaced the 5678 on the WCH jobs. 4072 has some sort of new Railgenerica safety sticker on the nose. The 4072 works the WCH-A and CBNS 5007 the WCH-B. I caught the Springfield night job in WCH this morning at 0430 with IORY 4070(?)-CBNS 5004.

There's a hi-wide transformer load in WCH. I didn't go north with the DT&I and Springfield crew this morning so I"m going to assume it's headed for AEP in Grove City. It's coupled to a string of empty ethanol tankers for Valero.

The FRA man either visited the Weedland or is about to, as the tilt signal at the Midland-FIT (Wellston Sub) diamond finally got a couple of it's burned out bulbs replaced. As usual the NSC maintainer only replaced the bulbs on the left side of the arm (bottom when vertical).

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The hi-wide load is for somewhere north of Springfield on the DT&I. It's some sort of piece of heavy machinery. It went north to Springfield on Wednesday night along with a 67 car empty grain train for Mechanicsburg and the WCH outbounds for Cincy. The WCH night job took all of the above to Springfield to meet another I&O train coming via the backdoor in Springfield. I didn't get the details yet, but it sounds like they ran a 400/401 to Springfield instead of the WCH Turn. The 10 mph sloooooow order for heat certainly puts a "kink" into operations.

It only took CSX 10 days to get 3887 back to the I&O.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Hey strugglin and redside, the WCH night job should be going to Ashland Chemical at Grovetucky tonight with hopefully CIND 5003 and CBNS 5007. There's 5 or 6 pellet cars waiting for Ashland and a couple corn loads for Valero.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

Keep those updates coming Midland, I didn't get a chance to make it down there, but really anytime they run to Ashland, if you could post it, that'd be great. Especially if they ever come up in daylight, then I can get my shot at Orient. I know I'm making a run to the Outlet Mall next week, so that means a drive down 62 to Wash CH on the way.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

CIND 5003 didn't hang around long as it left Tuesday night on the WCH Turn. They seem to send the locos fresh out of the McCullough shops up the Midland to work the bugs out.

They usually run to Grove City on just Tuesday and Friday nights. I don't see it changing until the 4 extra guys get hired and trained to work out of WCH on the weekends. Your best bet at Orient is going to be CSX. Listen to the Central Ohio Rail feed and if you hear a G-017 it's a grain train for the Midland. Most of the Heritage Co-op trains get that symbol just for the Parsons-Haynes tripCargill and Sabina-Bunge have their own G series trains. K-436/437 K-438/439 are the usual Valero ethanol trains with a couple K-600 series thrown in. The I&O did something to the radio transmitter on the north end of the Midland and it's almost impossible to hear a crew with a scanner until they get near Haynes.

There's a former CP caboose heading up the DT&I. Not sure where it's heading, but it was reported on Wednesday's WCH Turn and went north to Springfield this morning.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

CIND 5003 went from WCH to working I&O's Oasis line in Reading, OH to now the CIND in 3 days boy that unit gets around.

While out today I caught the I&O's Brooville Local in West Harrison, IN with CSCD 6637 & 3 shorty 2 Bay hoppers and much to my suprise & excitement when I got to valley Jct(around 4:30) I found CIND 5008, CIND 5000 & CIND 5003 all sitting by the yard office with what appeared to be the Greensburg local, he alot of scrap gons, tanks cars, covered hoppers etc. The Greensburg local was on the CIND/IORY connection by the office so the CIND local had to pull forward so the Brookville local could enter the yard to tie there train down. This is the first time I have ever seen all 3 CIND GP50's on 1 train and they looked great(though 5008 & 5000 STILL NEED A WASH!) and sounded good.

Here are a few shots from today. Also of note CSCD 6637 & CIND 5000 now sport a RailAmerica/FEC decals on the engineers side of the long hood the says "Complacency Kills". Was unable to get a shot of that decals though.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152308
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152306
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152300
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152302
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152301
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2152304
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Nice pics IORY_fan. Congrats for catching them together :)

I'm sorta surprised the GP50's have lasted this long on IORY. From what I read they're not real good at the types of work most of the IORY/CF&E jobs perform. Back when IORY had the auto traffic the GP50's may have been better suited for the fast hauls between Flat Rock and Cinncy.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Well these GP50's are used on the CIND's Honda train so they dont do to bad but CIND 5000 & 5008 both were down earlier this year with bad power assemblies and CIND 5003 had a motor swap done on FEC when it was painted. And now CBNS GP50 #5007(which has been in WCH) had a motor swap done on it as it suffered catastrophic engine failure last year on the CF&E as well as CBNS GP50 #5002 which has a cracked block and is also awaiting a motor swap at McCoullugh Yard.

I have heard that CIND crews love the CSCD 6637 as it is said to be a great pulling unit. It wasnt that great of a pulling unit until a trip to the Wheeling for some major Engine work ealier this year.

Nate R
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

IORY_fan wrote:I have heard that CIND crews love the CSCD 6637 as it is said to be a great pulling unit. It wasnt that great of a pulling unit until a trip to the Wheeling for some major Engine work ealier this year.

Nate R
The GP38's and 40's are better suited for the types of jobs on IORY / etc. Good pullers from what I hear.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The WCH night job just went north up the Midland with 10 tankcars for CPS in Mt Sterling and 4 for Ashland Chemical. Should be with CBNS 5007 and IORY 4072.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

They aren't scared to use six axle power on the WCH jobs on some very rough track. The old rails on the Stark Truss and Fibertech/Smurfete-Stone spurs in WCH were creaking and groaning when the WCH-A switched them with 4072 on Tuesday. The Greenfield Sub is about the only line I haven't seen a six axle used yet, but supposedly CEFX 9500 made a trip to Leesburg back in March or April.
AARR wrote:The GP38's and 40's are better suited for the types of jobs on IORY / etc. Good pullers from what I hear.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

According to the I&O list there will be a crewing dumping 10 cars of ballast on the Logan Sub on Saturday with 3884. The old Pennsy Morrow Secondary track from where it crossed the C&O in Lancaster to where it currently ends on the edge of town at the Ralston ceral plant will be getting the "driveway" gravel as we like to call the cheap stuff. It's part of a ORDC grant to replace ties and ballast on this old beaten up section of track. The ties were replaced a couple of months ago. It took 10 days to get the ballast from WCH to Lancaster......

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks midland sub. I read all your updates. I even pulled out an IORY map last night to help me envision the locations you describe in your posts :)