New Diamonds on the NS at Marion

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

New Diamonds on the NS at Marion

Unread post by cbehr91 »

The new diamonds for the CSX Mt. Victory Sub and NS Sandusky District are ready to be put in. They were constructed right on-site between the interchange track between NS and CSX and the existing diamonds themselves.

Both lines will obviously have to be shut down when the diamonds are swapped (I don't know when this will take place however). I'm assuming CSX will detour trains between Greenwich and Fostoria and down to Marion and utilize the connection there to get back on the Indy Line because this has been done in the past. On NS however I'm not sure if there's a really reliable detour, and they may just hold trains at the terminals until the new diamonds are in place.

Last year the western set of diamonds at Marion were replaced. If I remember correctly it was done overnight on a Sunday and during the following Monday morning and they cleared up sometime around noon on Monday. I'd imagine the same thing would be done this time around as Q-108 and Q-111 (the two highest priority trains on CSX's line) don't run on Mondays (and in Q-111's case Tuesdays too). Q-122 and Q-123 could run without double stacks and utilize the Columbus Line, avoiding Marion altogether. Q-106 and Q-107 will probably be cancelled for the day, which probably isn't a big deal because those trains are rarely 200+ axles.

Input on this is obviously welcome and I'd love to know the date when the swap will take place, if it is even known yet and if NS will be detouring trains anywhere.

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Re: New Diamonds on the NS at Marion

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

Q122 should use the Columbus Line anyways, usually comes up the Burt Line. I imagine Q123 could go that way if need be.
Brett

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

cbehr91 wrote:Last year the western set of diamonds at Marion were replaced. If I remember correctly it was done overnight on a Sunday and during the following Monday morning and they cleared up sometime around noon on Monday. I'd imagine the same thing would be done this time around as Q-108 and Q-111 (the two highest priority trains on CSX's line) don't run on Mondays (and in Q-111's case Tuesdays too). Q-106 and Q-107 will probably be cancelled for the day, which probably isn't a big deal because those trains are rarely 200+ axles.
The last time they did it, it was for the C&O and NYC diamonds. They shut down after Q108 got by, and the railroad was opened by that afternoon. They just parked trains on either side, waiting for the railroad to open up. Q106 and Q107 would run outside the frame of the curfew. Q358 (with its current departure time) would either go up to Willard, or just wait for the work to be completed before heading to Crestline.

Practice Safe CSX

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

There was an NS crew working on the northwest diamond all day on Sunday, all trains that came through did not cross that diamond, only 1 track was in use each way. Looked like a piece broke off making a hole, and I think they were unsuccessful at trying to weld a piece in there to refill it.

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

I am passing by Marion late tomorrow afternoon on my way back to Michigan from the Columbus area. Is it worth stopping there or would Deshler be better? Is there a good place to park?
Owosso Steve

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Boy it's risky. At that time of the day, you'd definitely get more traffic in Deshler. But it also depends on what you want. Any traffic that you do get at Marion is to me, more interesting.
Brett

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

bdconrail29 wrote:Boy it's risky. At that time of the day, you'd definitely get more traffic in Deshler. But it also depends on what you want. Any traffic that you do get at Marion is to me, more interesting.
How so? I've heard some others make this remark and aside from the KCS units on Q107/108 (correct, right?) I can't think of what would make Marion traffic more interesting.
Bottom text.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Objectively, Marion is difficult to photograph if you stay at the Depot/Museum/AC Tower. You do have opportunity for (Rail) East/West NS traffic (and their CPL signals), and (Rail) East/West former C&O traffic along with the NYC traffic of course. As far as train traffic goes, it can be quite hit or miss...

CG Tower
Y@ wrote:
bdconrail29 wrote:Boy it's risky. At that time of the day, you'd definitely get more traffic in Deshler. But it also depends on what you want. Any traffic that you do get at Marion is to me, more interesting.
How so? I've heard some others make this remark and aside from the KCS units on Q107/108 (correct, right?) I can't think of what would make Marion traffic more interesting.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I don't understand the obsession with Deshler, it's all CSX. I don't really care how busy a junction is, if it isn't a junction of CSX and NS, I'm not interested. I need at least 2 railroads at any spot for watching trains, I'm all about variety.

That being said, I will be at Marion either tonight or tomorrow, I will post an update if there has been any furthur work on the diamonds.

CG Tower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CG Tower »

Its all about what you want personally. While Marion is nice, the photographic opportunities are limited, so it goes back to what you want out of the day. For me, I do like Marion, but if were not for AC Tower and the Shovel, it would be difficult for me to justify a whole day there. But, that is ME...

While I think "obession" is strong word, Deshler is favored by many because of it's easy going style, the parks proximity to the tracks, no fences, the classic B&O CPL signals and the small town feeling. Its hard to pass that up with 80+ trains a day.

The variety of motive power keeps even CSX interesting. DM&E, ICE, CP, BNSF, UP, NS...all make it through Deshler...so again, for some that variety is enough.

So, with that, no one is forcing you to drive yourself to Henry County. There are more then enough places in the state to keep everyone happy regardless of their preferences.

CG Tower
strugglin wrote:I don't understand the obsession with Deshler, it's all CSX. I don't really care how busy a junction is, if it isn't a junction of CSX and NS, I'm not interested. I need at least 2 railroads at any spot for watching trains, I'm all about variety.

That being said, I will be at Marion either tonight or tomorrow, I will post an update if there has been any furthur work on the diamonds.
Last edited by CG Tower on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-You are speaking in nonsense. This troubles me.

See all of my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgtower/

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Marion is a good place to go with old track maps and go "Holy crap this place used to rock!"

Practice Safe CSX

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Y@ wrote:
The location, the different lines, the extras that you get on the Big 4 that are completely different everyday, the atmosphere. There's more to railfanning than just what units trains have. Now, I'm not debating you at all nor am I disagreeing with you. I just personally find the traffic at Marion more interesting. The NS you just never know what you're going to get, side by side NS/C&O is cool, the connection is cool, the depot and tower are cool. I guess it's the overall atmosphere.

In your defense Y@, if I'm looking for a good mainline day with overall traffic, yes I'll easily go to Deshler instead. The intermodal traffic and connection traffic at Deshler is awesome.
Brett

SW
Rail Trail Explorer

Unread post by SW »

bdconrail29 wrote:Boy it's risky. At that time of the day, you'd definitely get more traffic in Deshler.
Good enough for me - Went to Deshler and have not been disappointed! Thanks for the info.
Owosso Steve

skrail
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by skrail »

MArion, saturday, there will be a bunch of us meetin gthere...the Conrail Historical Society will be there... come on over...it will ROCK!!! 70 rsvp alone on the crhs site...
Scott-NS Imagineer

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

Y@ wrote:
KCS power frequents Q-106 and Q-107.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

cbehr91 wrote:
Y@ wrote:
KCS power frequents Q-106 and Q-107.
Thanks for the correction.
Bottom text.

JTNikon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JTNikon »

any word on when the new diamonds go in Marion ?

Also, last night's KCS / CSX train left marion at 8PM with KCS TFM unit leading CSX and tonight's will leave with KCS gray leading KCS Retro Belle.

ptrain56
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ptrain56 »

just wondering as the previous thread spoke of the kcs leaving marion at 8pm..does anyone know what kind of window this train has in regards to departing marion? also understand this is a weekday only train...

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ptrain56 wrote:just wondering as the previous thread spoke of the kcs leaving marion at 8pm..does anyone know what kind of window this train has in regards to departing marion? also understand this is a weekday only train...
Crew is on duty at either 1800 or 1830 at Marion. Depature depends on when MED gets the train ready. They will get an EC-1 between CP 95 and CP 101, with a permission to operate the switch to come out of the W/E MED. They pull out, conductor re-lines the switch and gets back to the head end. They'll call for a signal, and come down to CP 101.

I believe the train is daily except Friday EB and Saturday WB. It might be Friday and Saturday EB, as I know they've cut it back from the previous 7 day a week schedule to at least 6 days.

Practice Safe CSX

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Last night Q107 came through Marion at 8:40, it was already dark. It had KCS Southern Belle 4109 leading and KCS grey 4603 behind it. You can see what engines will be on the train anytime of day as they leave them out on the siding (Pic 1). The crew usually comes between 6-7 and you can still get some pics of it in daylight if you go over to the yard and watch them move and connect the train, since they fill it in two sections. You can pull in the park and get the engines with the front half of the train around 8:00 as they pull up, and then back up to connect to the back half (Pic 2). This is exactly what me and my brother did yesterday:

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/21 ... 4/glowfoto

http://www.glowfoto.com/static_image/21 ... 5/glowfoto

I believe CSX_CO is correct on the schedule, I've been there on a Saturday and Sunday within the last month with no Q107. So Q106 EB would run Sunday-Thursday, and Q107 WB would run Monday-Friday.

And yes, the new diamonds are still sitting there. I want to be there after they go in, so I can watch the flood gates open up on NS.