CSX hiring in North Baltimore

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
MDH
rp.net addict

CSX hiring in North Baltimore

Unread post by MDH »

Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: CSX hiring in North Baltimore

Unread post by conrailmike »

Yeah, the openings are in CSX's job search on their website. I only saw the openings for Conductor though.

ISWBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ISWBrad »

Im really excited about it, transferring there from Orlando to finally be closer to home. There is some pictures on the nbx website.

http://nbnewsxpress.com/viewnews.php?newsid=1559&id=1

If applying mention any experience backing up large objects... boats, rvs, trailers, box trucks, u hauls etc. should help you.

conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
Location: Less than 100' from CSX (LSRC) Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread post by conrailmike »

If I lived about an hour and a half farther south, I'd be applying.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Still dont understand why they are hiring conductors. I really dont see these guys haveing a job.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

sd70accsxt700 wrote:Still dont understand why they are hiring conductors. I really dont see these guys haveing a job.
Because they are going to be phasing out Willard as a crew change point, thus they want people local to North Baltimore. They have an unwritten rule, you don't live within 30 miles of the supply point you're applying for, they throw your application out. Better to advertise the opening where they are going to be needing the people, rather than hire for Willard, Toledo, Garrett, etc and then say "Your job is really in N. Baltimore."

Practice Safe CSX

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

CSX_CO wrote:
sd70accsxt700 wrote:Still dont understand why they are hiring conductors. I really dont see these guys haveing a job.
Because they are going to be phasing out Willard as a crew change point, thus they want people local to North Baltimore. They have an unwritten rule, you don't live within 30 miles of the supply point you're applying for, they throw your application out. Better to advertise the opening where they are going to be needing the people, rather than hire for Willard, Toledo, Garrett, etc and then say "Your job is really in N. Baltimore."

Practice Safe CSX

Thats all nice and good and a nice coporate answer, but its not like the displaced guys in Willard, and Garrett, are going to lie down and not work, because there jobs got sent to North Baltamore. Just like me I plan on going to NB as soon as possablel.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

Samething with us, hope they leave their old job on good terms after marking up they may be going back to them :oops: We have engineers coming back to the ground so the trickle down keeps going, supervision has already said they increased the conductors extraboard to the max number now so if you can't hold it again well,,,,

ISWBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ISWBrad »

It is not always the case that if you do not live within 30 miles out they throw out your application. I was hired for atlanta and I lived in Michigan for the Intermodal Service Worker postion. I strongly noted that I was willing able to relocate as soon as possible.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

ISWBrad wrote:It is not always the case that if you do not live within 30 miles out they throw out your application. I was hired for atlanta and I lived in Michigan for the Intermodal Service Worker postion. I strongly noted that I was willing able to relocate as soon as possible.
I'm talking about transportation side. They've found out that there are reliability issues for a person subject to being 'on call' making it on time if they live outside a 30 mile radius of the terminal they are applying for. Now that they are doing all their own hiring, they can be a bit more selective in those they choose for the jobs. Believe me, the people who are chronically late, live well outside of the 30 mile radius from the terminal I work at. Especially in the winter. There is one particular engineer who lives almost 2 hrs away, gets a 3 hr call, and still can't make it to work on time in the summer. I had another conductor call me 1 hr after on duty time saying he'd just woke up. Had a 3 hr call, woke up 1 hr after supposed to be on duty, and lived 90 minutes away. He showed up nearly 3:30 late for a train. I'm not saying those people who live closer don't show up late on occasion, its just that if you live 20 minutes away, and wake up late, its not as bad as facing a 2 hr drive to get to work after waking up at call time.

TTAM, they are still going to need more people as the business ebbs and flows. You know that. If CSX wants to hire the people and then subject them to furlough, that's their choice. If they stick it out, so be it. Be thankful we work under a contract that allows the work force to be trimmed to meet business levels now. Railroads didn't have that luxury in the 60's, and it almost destroyed the industry.

Yeah, you are right, people are going to go from Garett, Willard, and Toledo to work out of North Baltimore. But how many? Company can't make this big of a venture on speculation. They foresee openings, then they need to hire in anticipation of those openings. Even if people flock out of those places for North Baltimore, still puts it about 30 miles up I-75 to get to Stanley or Walbridge. You're still tapping a potential employment source, with the ability for those people to cover vacancies around the area. You seem to forget that railroaders are a stubborn breed. There were still guys that drove from Peru, IN to Garrett everyday for work because, by God, Peru was their home terminal. There were guys that worked out of Elkhart for 10+ years when they trimmed Fort Wayne, never once moving from Fort Wayne. There are/were still guys working in Indy who live in Jasper (Petersburg), New Albany (Louisville), Cincy, etc and have been driving for 10 or 15 years after they closed their terminal down. They wouldn't move closer even though there was no chance of their former jobs coming back. There are some who may be dissatisfied with the job, and the prospect of having to move to follow the job may be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Practice Safe CSX

ISWBrad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ISWBrad »

I hear you and your right especially for the ones already working for the railroad. Its an industry of being on your toes, i have only been with csx for a little under 2 years. Moved from Michigan to Atlanta in December of 08 worked 2 weeks got furloughed then transferred to Orlando in April of 09 just to get working again but thankfully with csx intermodal going to transportation with railroad retirement new terminals will no longer be contract vendors doing intermodal work. So on the move again but to a terminal that wont be going anywhere anytime soon and only an hour from the mitten.

MSchwiebert
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MSchwiebert »

For those that are interested, it may not hurt to send a resume through the Evansville & Western RR website. I'd suspect that the trackwork & switching related positions are going to be E&W employees

esprrfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by esprrfan »

As another fly in the mix, didn't CSX tell the town it'd be bringing in new jobs? Perhaps this is a bit of CSX too just living up to a promise. You know yes we built it, here's the help wanted sign. NOW as far as if the "locals" get hired and can actually "work" there well thats up the seniority that they'll have.