CSX K187?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
CSX Q109
Railroadfan...fan

CSX K187?

Unread post by CSX Q109 »

Hi Guys I heard a train on the Willard sub in Fostoria around 1 30 this moring it Was K 187 with BNSF 9842 leading it was eastbound. I just wanted to ask is this a new train and if so what kind of train is it? Thanks for any info.

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX K187?

Unread post by JoJames »

Loaded ore.Would say it has something to do with the lake shipping season closed.

TrainWatcher
The Beast

Unread post by TrainWatcher »

Usually there is a K185 that takes the turn at Deshler for the Toledo docks.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

TrainWatcher wrote:Usually there is a K185 that takes the turn at Deshler for the Toledo docks.
K185 is a Toledo to Middletown taconite train. It does not take any wyes in Deshler. It runs as K185 in both directions regardless of being loaded or empty. I have no idea where you pulled that info from, but it's dead wrong.
Bottom text.

Mr. Tops
Ferroequinologist

Unread post by Mr. Tops »

K185 doesn't take a "turn" at Deshler, it is a southbound. Straight shot from docks at Toledo to the furnace at Middletown.

Y@
Ass. Janitor

Unread post by Y@ »

Mr. Tops wrote:K185 doesn't take a "turn" at Deshler, it is a southbound. Straight shot from docks at Toledo to the furnace at Middletown.
EHEHEHEHE, I BEAT YOU BOOBIE! :P

The only K series train that has "turned" in Deshler would have been the K188's that ran years ago. They came from WC and also ran to Middletown I believe. But those haven't run in 7 or 8 years, if not longer.
Bottom text.

CSX_CO
Over and Out

Unread post by CSX_CO »

Mr. Tops wrote:K185 doesn't take a "turn" at Deshler, it is a southbound. Straight shot from docks at Toledo to the furnace at Middletown.
It could, should it have happened to run east out of Walbridge to Fostoria and then south for a myriad of reasons. I'm sure there are instances where that has happened, but SOP is to run via the TT to Bates and south on the Toledo Sub.

Practice Safe CSX

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

I would say there is a good chance it will be coming to the URR we are expecting to start getting all rail ore trains soon.

MDH
rp.net addict

Unread post by MDH »

CSX_CO wrote:I'm sure there are instances where that has happened, but SOP is to run via the TT to Bates and south on the Toledo Sub.

Practice Safe CSX
Several times in the last year that I can remember K185 running via Fostoria - if I recall it was during daytime curfew MOW/tie work north of Deshler over the summer. But yes - SOP is via Bates and just in the last week or so I saw a northbound K185 meet a southbound K185 right out my office window.

Michael
Michael Harding
P&WV fan in HO

bdconrail29
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bdconrail29 »

You're right Michael. I too have seen it run via Fostoria at least 3 or 4 times.
Brett

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

GLC 392 wrote:I would say there is a good chance it will be coming to the URR we are expecting to start getting all rail ore trains soon.
You got it. Going to the Union.

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Actually K185 used to run through Walbridge on a daily basis and it was scheduled this way.....this was about 4 years ago or so when there was alot going on on the Toledo Sub. One reason it would run this way was because of congestion daily on the TT north of WR. So I hate to admit but James is half right...yikes.

As for K187...this is the normal "winter" contract for the URR for the winter that has always run via the NS in years past as 414/415 and then 424/425. This is the first train of 20-25 planned while the lakes are frozen. Straight BNSF runthrough as U SEMCHC. The second U SEMCHC0 02 is planned for this weekend. CSX outbid the NS as they have been lately for this traffic.

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

When i started last year it was the end of the all rail ore trains and we were getting CSX and NS trains along with the BLE made the trestle job a nightmare, glade CSX got it they leave the power right up by the yard office at Demler which is really easy to get to.

CharlieX90
Back from "Vacation"

Unread post by CharlieX90 »

MDH wrote:
CSX_CO wrote:I'm sure there are instances where that has happened, but SOP is to run via the TT to Bates and south on the Toledo Sub.

Practice Safe CSX
Several times in the last year that I can remember K185 running via Fostoria - if I recall it was during daytime curfew MOW/tie work north of Deshler over the summer. But yes - SOP is via Bates and just in the last week or so I saw a northbound K185 meet a southbound K185 right out my office window.

Michael
Correct..I saw a K185 take the turn at Deshler during the work period.

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Funny I was working in Walbridge four years ago and I dont rember that. Maybe a few, but most still went the other way via Bates.
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

gridejq
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by gridejq »

Hey Matt where are your notes?? ;) I'm sorry it was 4.5 years ago...main reason was for spacing at the docks and not tying up the main coming into Stanley.