IORY South End part 3

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
redside20
i don't give a fark about your PM

IORY South End part 3

Unread post by redside20 »

Went by Junction Yard after school in Springfield today around noon and spotted an I&O job milling about the yard. Had no idea what the name of the yard job was but they looked like they had about a dozen or so NS articulated autoracks and other micellaneous stuff on the train. locomotive for the job looked to be 4082 or 83..it had a reddish color to it but it was too far away to tell what it was.
Exit stage left

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Re: IORY South End part 3

Unread post by strugglin »

So, we're on to Part 3 now?

Hey Midland Sub, I need some help. I'm going to be taking a trip down to Cincinnati this weeked, and was thinking about following the Midland all the way down there from Columbus. Do you know what the weekend schedule is like for the I&O now? Also, I've been as far south as Wilmington, is there anything worth seeing in Blanchester? Do they keep any power there? Or does the Blanchester job that services Leesburg on the Greenfield Line just operate out of Wash CH? Also, if you can let me know what the currect power is in Wash CH, that would be great. Thanks!

redside20

strugglin wrote:So, we're on to Part 3 now?

Hey Midland Sub, I need some help. I'm going to be taking a trip down to Cincinnati this weeked, and was thinking about following the Midland all the way down there from Columbus. Do you know what the weekend schedule is like for the I&O now? Also, I've been as far south as Wilmington, is there anything worth seeing in Blanchester? Do they keep any power there? Or does the Blanchester job that services Leesburg on the Greenfield Line just operate out of Wash CH? Also, if you can let me know what the currect power is in Wash CH, that would be great. Thanks!
last i knew, power for the Blanchester job had been 3889
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

As of last night the power in Wash CH was CIND 5003-NREX 5678 and CFE 3887. Not sure what the Blan Job. has for power. Prob one of the CFE GP38s. IORY 4082 and another p.o.s. IORY SD40s were also sitting in town last night. The 4082 came up on the Turn job to help 5003-5678 with 70 plus cars- still stalled on Maderia Hill.

Hard to say what's going on Saturday. They changed a lot of stuff recently for the WCH crews. There's 2 night crews most night now. One works the new Norwood Turn- replaced the Wash CH turn crew out of Norwood. The other crew works the overflow work- Grove City anf Valero traffic. The WCH-B now moves the DT&I traffic to Springfield during the day now. Both the A and B jobs work on Saturday. But they could be anywhere tomorrow around town. Good luck with finding them. Blan Job also has been working most Saturdays- usually to Wash CH. If not the loco is stored in Blanchester behind McDonalds.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The Greater Ohio ethanol plant in Lima is supposed to go back into production sometime in April. The I&O is going to end up supplying the covered hoppers for the outbound DDG from the plant. There's also plans for at least one or two corn shuttles for the Lima plant just like Valero on the Midland. The DDG will go to CBG in Cincy. Hopefully the new owners have better luck on this attempt....

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks Midland! I'm either going to drive down Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I just wondered what I could expect to see on the way down there. I'm hoping to catch at least one moving train during the trip, I will post some pictures in here when I get back for sure. If you hear anything of interest tomorrow morning as far as crews being called for Saturday, please post if you can.

redside20

midland sub wrote:The Greater Ohio ethanol plant in Lima is supposed to go back into production sometime in April. The I&O is going to end up supplying the covered hoppers for the outbound DDG from the plant. There's also plans for at least one or two corn shuttles for the Lima plant just like Valero on the Midland. The DDG will go to CBG in Cincy. Hopefully the new owners have better luck on this attempt....
Midland sub will this DDG go via the I&O through Washington Court House or down the old way of the Dayton District?..oh yes i saw this in the Springfield Paper
http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/news/ ... 79004.html
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It's like the rest of the DT&I traffic that goes via Wash CH. They only use the Dayton District a couple of times a month between Cold Springs and Sharonville to keep those trackage rights active, crews qualified on the route or when the Midland traffic is too heavy. Part of the reason they spent that money on the new yard @ Fayne was to handle the DT& traffic.

I didn't realize they moved that much grain over the WESTCO lines last year. That's pretty impressive when you consider Valero was in full production for 9 months last year and buying all the corn that it could from everyone and anyone. The 7,600 cars are just the grain and Urbana and Glen Echo customers that pay a $200 per car track maintenance fee. The TTX COFC/TOFC cars that came out of storage and the 10,000-12,000 cars of overhead I&O traffic aren't counted.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Great info guys. Thanks for posting. I enjoy when the mention car numbers.

midland sub or anyone - would you happen to know how much fertilizer S Chuck gets? I realize it goes up and down considerably.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

It sounded like they were trying to put a Norwood Turn together late last night with the empty cars from Lowes and Domtar. If they did go Norwood I doubt they made it back and either the A or B Jobs will have to recrew it. Haven't heard anything so far Saturday morning.

strugglin wrote:Thanks Midland! I'm either going to drive down Saturday or Sunday afternoon, I just wondered what I could expect to see on the way down there. I'm hoping to catch at least one moving train during the trip, I will post some pictures in here when I get back for sure. If you hear anything of interest tomorrow morning as far as crews being called for Saturday, please post if you can.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Drove by the old B&O depot in Wash CH this morning and didn't see any crews working or any power sitting around. There's a grain train sitting on the Midland main. I would say the Norwood Turn didn't make it back this morning or they left the power out at Fayne.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

I think Trupointe gets 5 or 6 potash trains and 2 or 3 phosphate trains, and smaller cuts of potash from time to time.

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

I got lucky, managed to catch them pulling a loaded ethanol train out of Valero on my way down yesterday. 4082 & 3887 were on the head end and 3888 & 5003 were on the rear end as helpers. This was the first time I had ever seen the I&O moving ethanol on the Midland and I didn't know they had power at both ends, only once before did I see moving ethanol on the Midland and it was CSX bringing an empty train back down.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Nice picture strugglin. I like pictures with industries in them. Where did you take those pictures?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

AARR that's Cargill @ Bloomingburg about 5 miles northeast of Wash CH on the Midland main. Valero's ethanol plant is just behind Cargill. Cargill shares their 4 tracks with Valero along with providing all of the inbound corn.

Strugglin you got lucky catching them pulling a loaded ethanol train out of Valero. They usually don't use power on both ends unless there's something already sitting at Haynes. Anything there when you went by?

Didn't see anyone working on Sunday. 4082-3887-3888 were sitting on the Midland main at the old depot this afternoon. Quite a few cars sitting at the yard at Fayne. Probably 30-35 cars for the WCH-B to take to Springfield on Monday morning.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Took a spin by McCoullugh yard after church this afternoon & found IORY 4070, IORY 4085, & CEFX 9400(with a few doors open) sitting infront of the shop as well as CBNS 5007, CEFX 6671(Stored serviceable by the CIND), NREX 5597(stored after lease ran out). By the sanding tower was CBNS 5002 back from the dead after motor swap sporting a set of yellow K3LA horns that were on 1 of the HLCX MP15's before they left, with CFE 3889 & IORY 4083 sitting with a cut of cars near the sanding tower.
Also at the yard were 5 of the Dakota Rail(DAKR) flats wonder what there next job will be? They seem to use them for MW most of the time I did catch 1 of the mon the CIND with Rail loaded on it for a track project at lustran polymers(formerly Bayer) on the CIND here is the pic http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2127258

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

midland sub wrote:Strugglin you got lucky catching them pulling a loaded ethanol train out of Valero. They usually don't use power on both ends unless there's something already sitting at Haynes. Anything there when you went by?
Yes, the grain train was still sitting on the Midland Main at Haynes, so I would assume that they were gonna pull the ethanol train onto the siding and pull the grain train back down after dark. Unless both trains were waiting for CSX to pick up, then I'd guess they'd cut the power off on the main, then push the train onto the siding, and return with all 4 engines to Wash CH.

redside20

Was in Springfield today and the WCHB crew was in town with 4082 and 34x23 cars for a total of 57 cars for Tremont. The 5003 was out puttering around on the north end of town somewhere who the WCH B was waiting on. Somebody was switching Tri State Products and somebody else was heard over the radio talking about taking a grain train to Mechanicsburg. I don't know what that stretch of track between Junction Yard to the NS side at CP 182 but there was a cut of cars there including some pig iron gons at around 9 this morning when i went into to school. To reiterate i didn't see either locomotive or the B turn, but i did see the cut of cars and a locomotive in the distance at Tri State from Burt and Sheridan Streets
Exit stage left

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The WCH-A and WCH-B crews were splitting up the (3888-4082) power this morning from last night's Norwood Turn this morning when I went by. If they had that many cars in Springfield the B Job must have brought just about everything on the Norwood Turn. A lot of P&G tankers and a NOKL coil car in the DT&I traffic.

CSX dropped off an empty Valero ethanol train @ Haynes Monday night. I think they took an empty grain train to Mechanicsburg Saturday.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

The Norwood Turn dragged 67 cars to Cincy Tuesday night with IORY 4082. Didn't hear how many they brought back, but CBNS 5002 and 4083 came back with the 4082. The 5002 got a work out on the WCH-A on Wednesday.

The WCH night job took CFE 3888 to work Valero and CPS in Mt Sterling. They left their cars at Mt Sterling and dropped the 3888 Haynes for CSX to pick up. It went to Columbus for the Logan Sub. The FRA man nabbed the 3884 for some violation. The I&O borrowed CSX 6125 today. Looked great on the Anchor Shuttle this afternoon. Should get swapped back to CSX @ Parsons on tonight's L3.

Rules test for the south end crews this weekend. No trains unless Lima crews get taxied down.