Harassed By Cop For Photographing Trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
B-Town
Foamer Photographe​r?!?!?!!?

Harassed By Cop For Photographing Trains

Unread post by B-Town »

:x Today, I was parked along Penry Road (Delaware, Ohio) on a field entry, right behind a car that belonged to a group of hunters. About 20 minutes after arriving, a Delaware County Sheriff deputy came up the road, slammed on his brakes, and put on his lights. He went on to say how I can't be on railroad property (which I was not on) and how trespassing is illegal. This was my third run-in with this same deputy, which leads me to believe he has something against railfans and railroad photography.

I was brave enough to snap a photo, while the cop was entering his car and I geotagged the location (just click the map on the right side and view as a satelite image)...Here's the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6391483907/

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Re: Harassed By Cop For Photographing Trains

Unread post by AARR »

Know your rights and stand your ground, B-Town. Does he have a boss you can report him too?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

AARR wrote:Know your rights and stand your ground, B-Town. Does he have a boss you can report him too?
I'm debating calling the department's main office...

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

B-Town wrote:
AARR wrote:Know your rights and stand your ground, B-Town. Does he have a boss you can report him too?
I'm debating calling the department's main office...
Maybe the officer does not know the law about photographing trains. Maybe he is a jerk. Either way someone above him should know.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

cbehr91
Chairman of the Bored

Unread post by cbehr91 »

I brought this up on Yahoo, but since this is a different forum, perhaps you should explain more in detail how your and the hunter's cars were oriented. As trivial as it may sound, the deputy may have thought that your cars were somehow inhibiting the view of the tracks, since the crossing there is just crossbucks - no lights or gates, and the current right-of-way is on a sharp curve, and the view of the crossing by motorist and train alike is very limited.

For those who aren't familiar with the area, Penry Rd is where the original Sandusky Branch right-of-way through downtown Delaware rejoins where the current Sandusky District was build around town sometime before World War II, although I'm not 100% sure on the time frame, but it's not really important. Point is, it was a long time ago, but the original right-of-way is visible on Google Earth coming south into downtown Delaware. At the spot in question, the original right-of-way goes straight south through an open field, although there are some woods back to the east heading toward the current NS right-of-way.

I'm just trying to cover all angles here. I'm not saying anybody involved was wrong or right.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

cbehr91 wrote:I brought this up on Yahoo, but since this is a different forum, perhaps you should explain more in detail how your and the hunter's cars were oriented. As trivial as it may sound, the deputy may have thought that your cars were somehow inhibiting the view of the tracks, since the crossing there is just crossbucks - no lights or gates, and the current right-of-way is on a sharp curve, and the view of the crossing by motorist and train alike is very limited.

For those who aren't familiar with the area, Penry Rd is where the original Sandusky Branch right-of-way through downtown Delaware rejoins where the current Sandusky District was build around town sometime before World War II, although I'm not 100% sure on the time frame, but it's not really important. Point is, it was a long time ago, but the original right-of-way is visible on Google Earth coming south into downtown Delaware. At the spot in question, the original right-of-way goes straight south through an open field, although there are some woods back to the east heading toward the current NS right-of-way.

I'm just trying to cover all angles here. I'm not saying anybody involved was wrong or right.
The hunters were farther down the former ROW, to the south and I was not blocking any view. He originally began to tell me why trespassing on railroad property is a federal offense, but when I told him that I wasn't on railroad property, he needed to find another reason for me to leave. Thus, I was trespassing on someone else's property. I knew I wasn't going to be there long and when I saw the other vehicle down the way...Yeah. :|

StrayWolf716
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by StrayWolf716 »

Thanks for the recap of events, B. Nice to have a heads up if I ever return to that area.

Unfortunately, before we ever know the outcome of your situation (i.e. following up with a supervising officer, etc.) I'm sure this thread will get locked.
Sort of like what happened with a board member's post about issues he had with a rail cop employed by that hapless little outfit, the Adrian & Blissfield. Would've been nice to hear how that situation was resolved. But...when the going gets tough..the whiners want the thread locked :cry:

Oh..Happy Bday to ya..just saw that on here..lol

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

StrayWolf716 wrote:Sort of like what happened with a board member's post about issues he had with a rail cop employed by that hapless little outfit, the Adrian & Blissfield. Would've been nice to hear how that situation was resolved. But...when the going gets tough..the whiners want the thread locked
loco_engr pleaded guilty to tresspassing. Apparently there was a little more to the story than what appeared on the thread.

I think the thread disappeared because it becomes a pain in the butt for the administator to police the thread and make sure it stays civil. I know I would not want to do it either.

StrayWolf716
Railroadfan...fan

AARR wrote:loco_engr pleaded guilty to tresspassing. Apparently there was a little more to the story than what appeared on the thread.

I think the thread disappeared because it becomes a pain in the butt for the administator to police the thread and make sure it stays civil. I know I would not want to do it either.
Thanks AARR. I really wondered about that. Thats terrible that it came down to him pleading guilty to it. Based on what I read from his account, I saw nothing illegal with what he did. But as you say, there was more to it, which leaves me to re-evaluate my initial response. I thought the discussion as civil, just with quite varying opinions, viewpoints, and discussion tactics. Someone hollared for it to be locked, and **bam** is was locked.

Hopefully in B-Town's sitaution here, although it has less implication, we can be informed of how it turns out. I'd certainly be contacting the department to discuss the continued harrassment.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

This post you guys have mentioned must have arose before I was a member.

...And thanks for the B-day wish StrayWolf716 and AARR! :D :D :D :D :D (If I add one more smiley, it'll tell me my message contains too many smilies. : (

AARR
Incognito and Irrelevant

Unread post by AARR »

StrayWolf716 wrote:Thanks AARR. I really wondered about that. Thats terrible that it came down to him pleading guilty to it. Based on what I read from his account, I saw nothing illegal with what he did. But as you say, there was more to it, which leaves me to re-evaluate my initial response. I thought the discussion as civil, just with quite varying opinions, viewpoints, and discussion tactics. Someone hollared for it to be locked, and **bam** is was locked.
You are correct, the whole story was not printed here, only one side of it.

I know RRFanAdmin and he is nobody's pushover. The threads were starting to get personal and it becomes a pain to moderate. I would have shut it down at that point too. Railroading should be fun :)

StrayWolf716
Railroadfan...fan

B-Town wrote: :D :D :D :D :D (If I add one more smiley, it'll tell me my message contains too many smilies. : (
That would be just about as bad as being told you've had too many plates at the all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. But that's another story..for another time lol

I believe that thread we mentioned wasn't too long ago. During the summer months I think. I can't find it at all. It was running wild with posts.

Don't party too hard for the birthday!

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

At least I don't have to celebrate my birthday in the hospital like last year!

...And here are the photos I managed to get before the POPO got me...

L3J
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392124135/

K179
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392124549/

H792
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392125061/

U944
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392125411/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392125901/

...And CSX's birthday present to me. A decently lit shot of a killer-consisted H792 (again)!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6392126457/

The day started out cloudy, but it turned out okay and then went and failed. HA! :roll:

StrayWolf716
Railroadfan...fan

Yea, dont end up in the hospital again!

Nice set of shots, B. I'm especially partial to the ones at CP Meredith. Great bright-sunshine-on-a-crisp-fall-day feel to all of them.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

StrayWolf716 wrote:Yea, dont end up in the hospital again!

Nice set of shots, B. I'm especially partial to the ones at CP Meredith. Great bright-sunshine-on-a-crisp-fall-day feel to all of them.

I just got outa the hospital a couple weeks ago, so I got close. :shock:
Thanks for the compliment, too!

I can add four more smilies, sooooo.... :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

FYI on the thread about adrian and blissfield... things were going relatively well, then just got really off track and decided to lock it down until Loco_engr came back to let us know what happened after the court date.
AARR then started a new thread stating that Loco_engr was guilty and that he heard it through the grapevine. Loco_engr said it was BS that AARR stated what he did, and asked for his account to be deleted. Posts then slammed back at AARR for saying that about loco_engr, and I locked that thread and removed it from public view.

Here's the initial thread: viewtopic.php?t=22238

Hope you understand why I locked it as I did now...now let's not talk about and beat that horse again and move on to B-Town's issues :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

sd70accsxt700
Sofa King follower

Unread post by sd70accsxt700 »

Don thats twice now you have said that, and I cant find any proof. I know you and your not like that, what is up?
https://flic.kr/ps/jSuAb My Flickr photos!

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

...And because I'm pushing views :D , here's another shot of H792:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47491339@N04/6395341911/

SHMILLER
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by SHMILLER »

Cops will be cops. I've seen you around Brandon, and sometimes you're pushing your luck. You may not have been trespassing in this instance, but if this is the third run-in with the cop then he's obviously weary of you. I know you've trespassed very blatantly before, I've witnessed it.
At work and play, be safe every day.

B-Town

Unread post by B-Town »

SHMILLER wrote:Cops will be cops. I've seen you around Brandon, and sometimes you're pushing your luck. You may not have been trespassing in this instance, but if this is the third run-in with the cop then he's obviously weary of you. I know you've trespassed very blatantly before, I've witnessed it.

Someone's been creepin!' :lol:
Allow me to direct you to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22783 :mrgreen: