Great Miami Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Great Miami Railroad

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

While in Hamilton yesterday I noticed the Great Miami engines or former ones seemed vandalized and windows of the only one I ever saw operating boarded up. They also had the caboose out in plain view while normally it and engine 115(the only one I've seen running) outside the gates of the factory it serves. Does anyone know what happened or if they have gone under.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Great Miami Railroad

Unread post by midland sub »

The Smart paper factory shut down earlier this year. US Rail which bought the Great Miami 7 or 8 years ago was the contract switcher for the mill. Caboose is supposed to be heading to the Winamic Southern line US Rail operates out of Kokomo, IN in the near future. I assume the 3 beat up locos still there will end up at LTE at some point. The paper mill was ancient and I hate to say I'm surprised it lasted this long. Good article on it and the Great Miami back in the mid 1990s by Brad McCelland.

caboose9
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by caboose9 »

Is the caboose in Hamilton, OH, that's going to the Winamac Southern, Kokomo, IN, the ex-NKP 783/N&W 557783?
S. Roger Kirkpatrick, 731 6th St., Marietta, OH 45750

Huelsy'sTrainBlog
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Huelsy'sTrainBlog »

Thanks Midland! I go through Hamilton alot on my way to Glendale or stop at Butler St. since they broken locos were always there I never paid much attention to them until yesterday when I saw the caboose out as well so I slunk over for the first time in about a year.

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

Quick note GMRY GP30 #30(NKP 902) will be on its way back to Cincinnati in the next couple months and its new owners will take it to the I&O yard in McCoullugh yard to get her ready for active service...... Also GMRY Caboose 783 wont be leaving Cincy either

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

I assume that means a certain company in Cincy bought the #30 to match a certain NKP sister they just might have.... :D

strugglin
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by strugglin »

midland sub wrote:I assume that means a certain company in Cincy bought the #30 to match a certain NKP sister they just might have.... :D
Good call Midland, that's exactly what I was thinking, I look forward to seeing both units in NKP paint this summer in Lebanon!

IORY_fan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by IORY_fan »

[quote="strugglin"][quote="midland sub"]I assume that means a certain company in Cincy bought the #30 to match a certain NKP sister they just might have.... :D[/quote]

Good call Midland, that's exactly what I was thinking, I look forward to seeing both units in NKP paint this summer in Lebanon![/quote]

Yes Cincinnati Railway got GMRY 30 from LTEX

GMRY 30 will probly be in its current paint for awhile but not sure that both would be in Lebanon together until 30 is 902. GMRY 30 is said to me more mechanically sound than 901, 30 will probly be used as 55's back up as it too is in need of much work. NKP 901 is still OOS and CNRY has been using IORY 4030 on the dinner train the last few weekends. They tried to lease PIR 2342 but I&O said no, its now the shop switcher at McCoullugh...... CNRY is just waiting on a few parts coming in for 30 then it will ship out of Hamden. Also look for DTI 116 to be in Lebanon sometime this year as it now rides on roller bearing trucks so it can now be moved over NS without special permission, DTI 116 is currently sitting on the RIP track at McCoullugh with CIND 1111 but 116's paint has faded pretty bad

IORY_fan
"Don't worry I'm pullin for ya, were all in this together"