Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Ohio.
bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

Unread post by bnsf8000 »

Part 2 is way overdue. So here we go!

WB LIFW at 1:07PM through Van Wert. Leading were CFE 3880/IORY 4034. The train had 106 cars. It was extremely heavy on Bunge traffic grainers accounting for most of the 92 grain cars or so: CSYX, BNGX, AEX, FURX, CEFX, CITX, NYDX, BNSF, 2 BN and 1 NOKL, 9 HMJX coal hoppers, 1 NOKL gon w/yellow coil hoods, 3 loaded gons and 1 box car.

Been hearing from others that some of the LIFW turns have been pretty good sized. That's the way we like it.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Everything/Anything CF&E thread...Part 2

6/8/12. CF&E worked at least the Scott Equity early this morning. The 19 Cargill grain hoppers are on there way: 17 Cargill's and 2 HMBX were to took back to Lima. The CF&E brought in 13 more grain cars looks the another set for Lima?

Drove out past the Van Wert Terminal and there are now tank cars along with the soda ash hoppers. The 8 tank cars are on the 1st track and soda ash hoppers are on the 2nd track. Nice to have a couple of commodities going on there again. 8)

Saw part of the LIFW heading back to Lima early last evening in VW and was a short one. Had the CFE 3880/IORY 4034 and at least a couple Cargill salt hoppers and I don't know what else.

PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bnsf8000 wrote:Drove out past the Van Wert Terminal and there are now tank cars along with the soda ash hoppers. The 8 tank cars are on the 1st track and soda ash hoppers are on the 2nd track. Nice to have a couple of commodities going on there again. 8)
That is good news! Any idea what is in the tank cars?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Should be bean oil AARR. Some guys have hauled out of there from a Van Wert trucking company in the the past also. I have a friend that has been hauling bean oil out of Bellevue down at the yard there at a bean oil producer. He drives for thr same company as some of the others in VW.

PW

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

6/12/12. WB LIFW with CFE 3882/TP&W 4056 in charge at 10:12PM. In the consist were 43 cars. Including 23 box cars: very heavy on TTX FBOX's, also CRLE, YKR and GMRC, 10 grain cars mostly for Bunge, 7 loaded gons and 3 coil cars bringing up the rear. Rolling along. :wink:

Also, this afternoon LIVW was in Van Wert with CFE 3886/CORP 4024 doing the honors. Brought in 17 cars including 13 more grain cars for Scott Equity-no Cargill's and 4 plastics hoppers: EPTX, NAHX and I believe ACFX. Don't know yet if they worked the CSP or not. Will have to see if it worked the VW Terminal.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by alittlevanwerty »

They worked CSP, saw them leaving town with oyma empties. Was heading to work so no time to film, thats the first CFE I've seen since we got back Sunday. My wife saw the LIFW and made sure to fill me in on what I missed.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

There's 26 grain cars at the Scott Equity now give or take. Question for midland is there a set of grain cars for Valero on the I&O that aren't Cargill cars? Or are these for Lima/other places. A lot of the grain cars here in VW now have HMBX, FURX and quite a few MWCX. I've never seen the elevator use rail this much on a regular basis before. :D

Also, there are 8 tank cars at the VW Terminal and 10 soda ash hoppers as of today. And yes they did work CSP taking out the 4 plastics hoppers yesterday and bringing back as you said the MTY's.

PW

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Valero mostly uses Cargill cars, though there's been a time or two they've used FURX and MWCX cars. Both the I&O and CFE have cars in storage for First Union. Usually they let them use some for free for a discount on the storage fees. I believe those MWCX cars are leased by RA thru the old Railtex holding company and are being used along with the NOKL cars to move grain and sometimes fertilizer on the I&O and CFE.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

6/13/12. WB LIFW at 10:10PM with CFE 3886/CORP 4024 and 36 cars. Consisted of 13 grain cars typical Bunge cars, 8 ballast hoppers?: HMJX, AEX and one other, 6 box cars, 5 IHB coil cars, 2 tank cars and 2 loaded gons.

midland sub
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by midland sub »

Melvin Stone down on the I&O has some AEX stone cars leased, though I would think RA would buy the stone from National in Lima and use their fleet of cars as they have in the past on the CFE for ballast work.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Thanks for the video. I counted 38 cars on your video not 36. As I've said before give or take. :roll: At least you had the dog barking in the background. He probably would like treats! :D

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

Me and my wife caught the LIFW last night. It came through about 11:15 after working the Van Wert Terminal. Got a very friendly wave from the cab. CFE 3882 solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voTrPvn7 ... e=youtu.be

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Me and my wife caught the LIFW last night.
You will turn her into a foamer yet :lol:
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

6/15/12. WB LIFW at 9:25PM. Leading were IORY 4032/4036 and 37 cars. The train had 17 box cars: once again heavy on TTX-FBOX's, 9 MTY steel flats for SDI, 5 loaded gons, 3 tank cars, 2 plastics hoppers and 1 NOKL coil car.

The LIVW was in Van Wert today. Didn't see what they pulled or possibly brought in to town. Been coming to VW every so many days.

PW

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

I caught the LIVW yesterday bringing 7 loaded hoppers to CSP and taking 3 empties back. I am not sure how many full grain hoppers were taken back to Lima but it appeared they brought 6 empties in.

Loaded hoppers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPuITS5a ... e=youtu.be

Empties passing over the Van Wert diamond:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcEM157g ... e=youtu.be

Today at 2:00 a eastbound loaded welded rail train pulled by a GTW engine passed through town, me and my wife caught up with it east of Middle Point:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4TLBv24 ... e=youtu.be

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

alittlevanwerty wrote:Loaded hoppers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPuITS5a ... e=youtu.be
I think that unit is a GP40 or 40-3 :? At least it started out as a -40 built around 69 or 70 IIRC.

bnsf8000
Railroadfan...fan

Great catch alittlevanwerty! That's the South Carolina Central unit 6415 exGTW and I believe midland said it's an ex DT&I unit thats on the CF&E right now. I saw it at the CSX yard in Lima on the north end awhile ago. I hadn't seen it since. I was told it went through Van Wert before. One other time it was on another welded rail train. It would be nice to see it on the LIFW or LIVW. You've given us proof that it is running on the CF&E. 8) Need to get that unit on the I&O so its back to its old stomping ground. Anyway great catch again and let's see how long your wife keeps going with you. :)

PW

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

bnsf8000 wrote:Great catch alittlevanwerty! That's the South Carolina Central unit 6415 exGTW and I believe midland said it's an ex DT&I unit thats on the CF&E right now.
Correct, that is an ex-DT&I unit originally numbered 415 built in 1972 IIRC.

I think it would have been cool when IORY started up the ex-DT&I lines if they had purchased ex-DT&I units. Shortly after they began operations GTW ended up selling nearly everything prior to the -2's. That would have given IORY 6 GP40's and approximately 20 GP38's and 5 SD38's 8)

alittlevanwerty
Railroadfan...fan

CF&E ran a CSX grain train westbound though VW at 11:05 pm, wife counted 90 cars, all new CSX logo. I didn't hear it east of town so video I took was very dark. Leading were 2 SD40-2s. NO regular LIFW traffic with this run so curious when it may be ran?